Wimbledon College of Art interview - help

Options

Comments

• onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited 6 February 2018 at 10:56PM
    Options
    Considering that you're allowed to apply to 6 unis most people don't have the time or money to visit each one even once let alone several times. I visited 5 places either for open days or interviews.

As for offers because I applied to oxbridge most other places fell over themselves to give me low offers either with no interview or only a cursory one.

As for parents visiting with the applicants it didn't happen when I was applying. The most the parents did was give you a lift to the town.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    onlyroz wrote: »
    Considering that you!!!8217;re allowed to apply to 6 unis most people don!!!8217;t have the time or money to visit each one even once let alone several times. I visited 5 places either for open days or interviews.

As for offers because I applied to oxbridge most other places fell over themselves to give me low offers either with no interview or only a cursory one.

As for parents visiting with the applicants it didn!!!8217;t happen when I was applying. The most the parents did was give you a lift to the town.[/QUOT

My daughter would have been mortified if i'd gone with her to the interviews ! I just dropped her off, i did go to two of the Open days though, she wanted my opinions on the accomodation.
  • littleredhen
    littleredhen Posts: 3,280 Forumite
    Options
    Spendless wrote: »
    No, that's not what I meant. You said bil would have to meet her in London the day before (costing him the travel fayre) to meet her. Wouldn't it be possible for your DD to travel to Reading by herself the day before?

yes but to travel to Reading from Edinburgh you have to change in London, I think it would be too much for her changing main line stations via the tube
    The mind is like a parachute. It doesn’t work unless it’s open.:o

A winner listens, a loser just waits until it is their turn to talk:)
  • littleredhen
    Options
    Point 1. Maybe it is me, maybe I am a harsh parent, but having had several children go through the university system and helped pay for various student accommodation no way would I encourage her to go out of Scotland, where the education element is free.

Point 2. If she is good enough to get into a good London Art School, she will get into a similar one in Scotland.

Point 3. As a parent, if I had a child with MH issues I would want to be able to get to them within a short time. You won't be in that position either in terms of distance, finance or work commitments.

Point 4. I would want to know that they could get home easily and relatively cheaply in those first few crucial weeks of settling in.

Knowing all the above I wouldn't feel at all guilty in trying very hard to dissuade her from going south. They are young adults with little life experience on which to base life-changing decisions, they need guidance and sometimes bluntness to enable them to see the pitfalls that could lie ahead due to personal circumstance.

You are acting in her best interests, try to remember that.

thank you for your advice

• littleredhen
    Options
    silvercar wrote: »
    My understanding of the Scottish system is that you still have loans for maintenance. That will require paying back.

yes that is correct, you pay for halls etc

• SingleSue
    SingleSue Posts: 11,699 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    For eldest and middle, I was just there to pay for things and provide some transport. When it came to the interviews, I could usually be found in the cafe or outside if it was nice complete with a good book and a cup of tea. Youngest son didn't attend interviews but he needed to become familiar with new surroundings in a supportive way, hence our multiple visits with me in tow...not that I complained, he is in a beautiful city with some great architecture.

It was slightly different for our circumstances though due to middle and youngest's disabilties. Middle son struggled on public transport (still does), as did youngest and youngest doesn't like people and won't talk to them until he gets used to them. Eldest just wanted the upgrade on dinner options :rotfl:
    We made it! All three boys have graduated, it's been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk - now having fun and games as a wheelchair user.
  • onlyroz
    onlyroz Posts: 17,661 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    yes but to travel to Reading from Edinburgh you have to change in London, I think it would be too much for her changing main line stations via the tube
    Not necessarily. Just looking at thetrainline.com it seems that there are some direct trains, and there are others via Newcastle, Manchester or Wolverhampton.
  • CruisingSaver
    Options
    Many universities only interview the border line applicants - those they definitely want get immediate offers.

This isn't the case for Art and Design related degrees. All bar one of my DD's uni choices is entry by portfolio and interview.

The other one requires submission of an electronic portfolio but doesn't interview due to the volume of applications it receives.

This applies to all applicants equally.
  • CattyCatX
    Options
    Not sure this will help but I was a Scottish student who went to a Uni in the south-east of England. No mental health issues and I was from that way originally so no 'shock' of a big city and knew my way around the tube etc already and had done a lot of travelling abroad alone/was very independent already... but I did find it hard not to be able to go 'home' (one parent lived in Scotland and one lived abroad) very often.
    The others I was at Uni with would pop home for the odd weekend and have a family dinner/have their washing done etc but I could only see mine at Christmas, Easter and summer holidays (no half terms or opportunities to take a break mid-way through at my Uni).
    Honestly, it came as a huge shock to me how much I missed being able to see my family easily (as hadn't really missed them when I was travelling :eek::rotfl:). There were money issues too so they couldn't really come down and visit me during term time either. This was in the days before skype/facetime etc so I guess those would help now (as I could only talk to mine on the phone...) but I couldn't help being envious when I saw others come back on a Sunday night with a care package from home or have parents come and take them out to celebrate mid-term exams/birthdays etc
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    yes that is correct, you pay for halls etc

But have you/she looked at the cost of accommodation in London and considered how that can be afforded on the lower amount of maintenance loan and bursary available to Scottish students?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure