New mobile phone contract with ongoing DRO

Hi,

I have recently entered a DRO and I’m left with around £30 a month spare cash.

My mobile phone has just broken, though. And I essentially use it as a laptop as it’s small enough to put in my pocket, yet powerful enough for all my work needs.

I recall seeing a letter which states that I cannot obtain credit for over £500 without informing the lender.

How does this work with a phone contract? Would I be allowed to get a contract phone? (Assuming a provider was willing)

Thinking of an iPhone 7 which I can get for about £15 a month on top of my current phone budgeting, and within my spare cash.

The alternative is to get a contract in my partners name, but I’d rather be independent - I just don’t want to break the rules of my DRO

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Its exactly what it says on the tin, if you apply and are accepted, which may be doubtful, but if you are, the creditor does a credit check on you, thus they should be aware of your DRO status, hence you are complying with the terms of your DRO.

As long as it can be fitted within your existing budget you will be fine.

But to be honest, you may not be accepted anyway, you may have to look at buying a second hand phone instead.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Sadly, I couldn't get a phone contract so I am the only 28 year old I know with a pay as you go phone!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,717
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    cookie1989 wrote: »
    Sadly, I couldn't get a phone contract so I am the only 28 year old I know with a pay as you go phone!

There is a company who will accept anyone for a mobile contract.

I believe you have to make the first 3 monthly payments before the phone is dispatched to you, i`m not completely ou fair on how it works, but may be worth checking out.

I don't want to be accused of posting spam links, so i will spell out the name for you, the big orangy thing in the sky that gives us warmth, then, shine, then, mobiles.;)
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    cookie1989 wrote: »
    Sadly, I couldn't get a phone contract so I am the only 28 year old I know with a pay as you go phone!

No your one of many who has a payg phone.
  • Buzby
    Buzby Posts: 8,275 Forumite
    Why do you need a contract? Buy a cheap s/h handset you like and a PAYG SIM. You’ll save even more and not have to suffer the possibility of rejection.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure