Redundant and Entitledto.co.uk

Options
Hi all,
I will be made redundant in 10/12 weeks at the ripe old age of 62. I have worked all my life from 16 yrs old so overall had a good innings but this still comes as a shock!
I live on my own.
I have a mortgage
I do not have ANY other income.
So i was thinking what help is out there and was informed to try Entitledto! which i did, the result was unbelievable £314 a week! (dream on )
This is no way possible. My mortgage is interest only £190 a month, my council tax is £2100 a year, apparently Job Seekers will be £73.10p.
So confused... i do not have savings over £6000 but will receive more then £6000 redundancies package.
At what point do i actually receive OFFICIAL help?
Do need to use all my monies?
Sell the house?
Megga confused!
Regards and thank you for reading my post
Keithtoon.

Comments

• Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Calm down.

There are two thresholds: upto £6,000 and £6001-16,000 (beyond that there is little you can claim, atleast for now)

(unless you live in a universal credit area - check):
    You can claim Job seekers straight away (contribution)
    You can possibly claim council tax benefit too
    I don't believe you can get housing benefit at the minute

(£314 a week is a large amount to be honest, im surprised you think you wouldn't get that)

You don't need to sell, you don't need to use all your money.
  • keithtoon
    keithtoon Posts: 154 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Thank you Comms69,
    (£314 a week is a large amount to be honest, im surprised you think you wouldn't get that)
    Surely by you answer you are as surprised as me?
  • Comms69
    Options
    keithtoon wrote: »
    Thank you Comms69,
    Surely by you answer you are as surprised as me?
    Sorry isn't* my mistake.
  • lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,643 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Your Council Tax being £2100 pa that suggests you may be living in a high banded, possibly largish property. Would it be possible to downsize, to free up some money and reduce outgoings?
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • Robin9
    Robin9 Posts: 12,102 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You do need to sit down and do some careful sums. Its a long time till you get your state pension.

What arrangements have you made for the mortgage lump sum?

Does your council tax inc the 25% single person rebate?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
  • keithtoon
    Options
    yes 25% discount.
  • keithtoon
    Options
    hi Lincroft,
    No i want to keep the house for another 2 years, till i am 64 and then sell and move to
    Spain. This has always been my plan, to move to Spain in 2 years, but this has has come too early LOL
    Hopefully i can get thru the next 12 months living off my "Redundancy Package" it will be the Government standard calculation...no megga buck deal here!
    This is why i opened this post to see if any help was out there before i kick my Dream of moving to Spain into touch.
    Yes i have 2 private pension plans, one of them i have used 25% tax free to my ex-wife. In the ideal world i want to hold on to every penny i have, as it was part of my plan for my future. So the original question was what do we think of https://www.entitledto?
    I used Ageuk today and the result was= Jobseekers Allowance £213.35 plus Council Tax Support £27.83. Hopefully if this is all factual i should be ok to get me to 64!!
    I have been paying into the system since i was 16yrs old and never been out of work, if i come across a Ponce i do apologise, but he ho i am only asking for what i should be entitled to...
    Thanks for reading and your input!
    Keithtoon.
  • keithtoon
    Options
    sorry,
    but someone here at work is asking the question!!
    Today we will receive our Redundancy Package, if we leave for a other job within the notice period do you lose the redundancy package????
    Oh lord it never ends!!!!!!

Where an employee has been given notice of redundancy, if he or she seeks to leave before the end of the notice period to take up a new job will this affect his or her statutory redundancy payment?
    The answer depends on whether or not the employer objects to the employee's premature departure. If the employee gives written notice to terminate his or her employment on a date earlier than the original termination date given by the employer, he or she will not lose the right to a statutory redundancy payment if the employer does not object to the early departure. If, however, the employer does object, it must serve written notice on the employee requiring him or her to withdraw the notice and continue in employment until the original termination date. This written notice must state that, if the employee fails to do so, the employer will contest any liability to make a statutory redundancy payment (s.142(2) of the Employment Rights Act 1996). If the employee does not comply with the requirements of the employer's notice, under s.142(1) he or she is prima facie not then entitled to a statutory redundancy payment.

However, in accordance with s.142(3), the employee is able to apply to an employment tribunal, which will decide whether it would be just and equitable for the employee to receive the full statutory redundancy payment, part of the payment or no payment at all, having regard to the reasons why the employee sought to leave employment early and the reasons why the employer required him or her to continue in it. It is likely that, if the employee had to leave on a particular date to take up a new job in circumstances where the new employer was not willing to postpone the start date, the tribunal would hold that it would be just and equitable in the circumstances for the employee to receive the redundancy payment. Conversely, if the start date of the new job could have been postponed until after the original termination date specified by the employer, and the employer needed the employee to continue in employment until the original termination date to complete an assignment, the tribunal might well decide that the employee's actions in leaving early were not reasonable in the circumstances, and therefore that it would not be just and equitable for him or her to receive a redundancy payment. Ultimately, the issue is one for the tribunal to decide according to the particular facts of the case.

If the employer and employee mutually agree to substitute an earlier date as the date of termination of employment for the date originally specified by the employer, this issue does not arise and the employee will receive his or her statutory redundancy payment in full.
  • Comms69
    Options
    keithtoon wrote: »
    sorry,
    but someone here at work is asking the question!!
    Today we will receive our Redundancy Package, if we leave for a other job within the notice period do you lose the redundancy package????
    Oh lord it never ends!!!!!!

Where an employee has been given notice of redundancy, if he or she seeks to leave before the end of the notice period to take up a new job will this affect his or her statutory redundancy payment?
    The answer depends on whether or not the employer objects to the employee's premature departure. If the employee gives written notice to terminate his or her employment on a date earlier than the original termination date given by the employer, he or she will not lose the right to a statutory redundancy payment if the employer does not object to the early departure. If, however, the employer does object, it must serve written notice on the employee requiring him or her to withdraw the notice and continue in employment until the original termination date. This written notice must state that, if the employee fails to do so, the employer will contest any liability to make a statutory redundancy payment (s.142(2) of the Employment Rights Act 1996). If the employee does not comply with the requirements of the employer's notice, under s.142(1) he or she is prima facie not then entitled to a statutory redundancy payment.

However, in accordance with s.142(3), the employee is able to apply to an employment tribunal, which will decide whether it would be just and equitable for the employee to receive the full statutory redundancy payment, part of the payment or no payment at all, having regard to the reasons why the employee sought to leave employment early and the reasons why the employer required him or her to continue in it. It is likely that, if the employee had to leave on a particular date to take up a new job in circumstances where the new employer was not willing to postpone the start date, the tribunal would hold that it would be just and equitable in the circumstances for the employee to receive the redundancy payment. Conversely, if the start date of the new job could have been postponed until after the original termination date specified by the employer, and the employer needed the employee to continue in employment until the original termination date to complete an assignment, the tribunal might well decide that the employee's actions in leaving early were not reasonable in the circumstances, and therefore that it would not be just and equitable for him or her to receive a redundancy payment. Ultimately, the issue is one for the tribunal to decide according to the particular facts of the case.

If the employer and employee mutually agree to substitute an earlier date as the date of termination of employment for the date originally specified by the employer, this issue does not arise and the employee will receive his or her statutory redundancy payment in full.
    Yes, ofcourse. That's always been the policy.
  • keithtoon
    Options
    Good Afternoon,
    Recd my final Redundancy and 12 weeks notice, I finish actual employment 12th June.
    When can i then start taking Job Seekers Allowance?
    Or does the monies you receive from your last employment and redundancy package have to spent?
    So only claim when skint!?
    thank you
    Keithtoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills