PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Offer advice wanted

crisp
crisp Posts: 435 Forumite
edited 22 March 2018 at 4:23PM in House buying, renting & selling
I am interested to know what you would do and of course not what the seller will accept.

To give some background. We are under offer to chain free buyers and we do not require a mortgage for our next move so in a strong position. That said we need to be out by July at the latest.

Spotted a house that would be good though it does require updating (electrics, boiler, kitchen, bathroom etc) from the mid 1990s feel it currently has.

It was first on the market in October 2017 at £1,050,000 then dropped to £999,950 and now £950,000.

In 6-months it's had 3 offers

£990,000 which died (withdrawn) after a week at most
£925,000 from buyers that are not proceedable
£925,000 from a chain free buyer requiring a mortgage and this was rejected

On Monday, we offered £908k (rejected). On Tuesday we raised it to £922k (rejected) and thats where its been left. Our maximum is about 9k more.

No feedback given other than the buyers want £935k-940k but EA didnt sound sure.

We have a meeting with the EA this weekend to discuss but keen to hear a different point of view ahead of that.

At present, we don't have a strong second choice.

Comments

• davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    How have you arrived at the figures that you've offered? We've no idea what the property is (objectively) worth.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,715 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Not wanting to sound like a tool, but what advice do you want?
    They have rejected £925k and are holding out for £10k more.

You can go to £931k so why not just go in at £930k, tell them that is the maximum you can go to and see what happens?

I can hardly see a £1-2k increase from their previous offer on a near million pound property being enough to sway them, so you probably are going to have to make a bit of a dent in to the difference of your previous offer and what they want.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 9,976 Forumite
    Have you been looking long? Is the £9K more the maximum you can afford, or the maximum you think it's worth? If you're dealing in those sorts of numbers, forgive me, you're obviously not short of a few bob. If somebody else comes along and whisks it away, if you've no strong second choice how pee'd off will you feel? If you like it, can afford it, want it more than anything else you can find, try £931K but be prepared to go to the £935K they want to secure it. What's £4K when you're talking those sorts of numbers?
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    crisp wrote: »
    No feedback given other than the buyers want £935k-940k...

What more "feedback" do you want? They've told you the answer - they ain't selling for less than £935k - what part of that isn't clear?

If you got it, offer it. If you don't, walk away now; or offer as much as you can and see what happens - they either tell you to jog on anyway, or you move forward. Given time seems to be against you, stop playing games and just get on with it.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Can you show a link?
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ReadingTim wrote: »
    What more "feedback" do you want? They've told you the answer - they ain't selling for less than £935k - what part of that isn't clear?

If you got it, offer it. If you don't, walk away now; or offer as much as you can and see what happens - they either tell you to jog on anyway, or you move forward. Given time seems to be against you, stop playing games and just get on with it.

Nah, time is against the seller, they have had their house on the market for well over a year and now Brexit, interest rate rises and Trump`s trade war have arrived on their doorstep. A cash rich buyer can rent cheaply for a while and pick up a bargain at their leisure. My gut feeling is that this house is WAY overpriced though.
  • hazyjo
    hazyjo Posts: 15,470 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Crashy, is that the same gut feeling you get about every single property that anyone's offering on?
    2023 wins: *must start comping again!*
  • crisp
    davidmcn wrote: »
    How have you arrived at the figures that you've offered? We've no idea what the property is (objectively) worth.

Its based on quotes for the work required, market value and the funds we have available.
  • crisp
    ACG wrote: »
    Not wanting to sound like a tool, but what advice do you want?
    They have rejected £925k and are holding out for £10k more.

You can go to £931k so why not just go in at £930k, tell them that is the maximum you can go to and see what happens?

I can hardly see a £1-2k increase from their previous offer on a near million pound property being enough to sway them, so you probably are going to have to make a bit of a dent in to the difference of your previous offer and what they want.

advice from the perspective of a buyer or seller

yes they rejected £925k as an opening bid, 3-weeks ago in the hope it would be raised and it never was.
  • crisp
    Slinky wrote: »
    Have you been looking long? Is the £9K more the maximum you can afford, or the maximum you think it's worth? If you're dealing in those sorts of numbers, forgive me, you're obviously not short of a few bob. If somebody else comes along and whisks it away, if you've no strong second choice how pee'd off will you feel? If you like it, can afford it, want it more than anything else you can find, try £931K but be prepared to go to the £935K they want to secure it. What's £4K when you're talking those sorts of numbers?

This is Outer London and this is a terrace. I can only dream of the multi-million pounds properties that seem to be sprinkled in some parts, but I get your gist.

Yes 9k is really my max.

Been looking hard for a month. Its not my dream house. It might be one day but needs plenty of work. I would be disappointed itf I lose out.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure