Pip

Hi I have posted before regarding my daughter's benefits. She currently gets DLA and I get Carers Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

My daughter has significant mental health needs and is to be admitted to a mental health hospital for a short period estimated to be between 3 and and 5 months.
The hospital will be near to home and I am still her primary carer visiting her every day, attending mental health meetings etc.

She is currently in receipt of High DLA and will be moving onto PIP as she has just turned 16.

What i wanted to know is will the benefits I receive above stop when she goes into hospital? And will PIP carry out a paper assessment or will they visit her in hospital? By paper assessment I mean her mental health team writing reports and a letter off her psychiatrist.

I will remain my daughter's carer and the hospital stay is temporary.

Thank you

Comments

• pmlindyloo
    pmlindyloo Posts: 13,049 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 16 March 2018 at 1:56PM
    If a child under 18 goes into hospital then they can keep their disability benefits - i.e her DLA.

If you continue to care for her for 35 or more hours a week then you can continue to receive Carer's Allowance. So your current benefits would remain the same.

However, I am unsure whether theses rules change according to which 'facility' is in question.

I suggest that you telephone Carers UK and ask them this question.

Plus also ask them about child benefit and child tax credits (I am presuming you are receiving these?) and whether you need to notify them about the change of circumstances.

https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance

As regards the PIP assessment it might be sensible to telephone the DWP (but after you have spoken to Carers UK) and inform them of your daughter's hospital stay. They may wish to do a paper assessment and/or ask for further evidence and/or delay a face to face assessment.
  • kingfisherblue
    kingfisherblue Posts: 9,203 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    My friend's son was admitted to a hospital mental health unit and was only entitled to the daily rate of DLA for the days that he spent at home (mainly weekends). She had to submit regular records and DLA was paid up to two months in arrears. This was for care only - the mobility component was still paid to Motability to pay for the car that they have on the scheme.

This was fairly recent. He has been home full time for a year.
  • pmlindyloo
    My friend's son was admitted to a hospital mental health unit and was only entitled to the daily rate of DLA for the days that he spent at home (mainly weekends). She had to submit regular records and DLA was paid up to two months in arrears. This was for care only - the mobility component was still paid to Motability to pay for the car that they have on the scheme.

How old was the son?
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper

If the son was under 18 at the time then payments shouldn't have stopped.
    https://contact.org.uk/advice-and-support/money-benefits-work-and-childcare/benefits-and-tax-credits/payment-of-disability-living-allowance-for-a-child-in-hospital/
  • Treehorn
    Treehorn Posts: 23 Forumite
    Hi everyone

Thank you for your contributions to my question.
    I have telephoned Turn To Us this morning and they have said that I will only get carers allowance for the first 28 days of my daughter's admittance even though I will be visiting her daily and have to be on call for her mental health team.
    I am worried if the carers allowance stops other benefits will also, such as, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Income Support, DLA. Any advice/guidance regarding this would be so appreciated.
    She cannot be admitted at moment as there aren't any beds as yet in the UK but I need to be prepared with regards benefits and the financial impact an admittance may have.
  • poppy12345
    poppy12345 Posts: 17,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Treehorn wrote: »
    Hi everyone

Thank you for your contributions to my question.
    I have telephoned Turn To Us this morning and they have said that I will only get carers allowance for the first 28 days of my daughter's admittance even though I will be visiting her daily and have to be on call for her mental health team.
    I am worried if the carers allowance stops other benefits will also, such as, Housing Benefit, Council Tax Benefit, Income Support, DLA. Any advice/guidance regarding this would be so appreciated.
    She cannot be admitted at moment as there aren't any beds as yet in the UK but I need to be prepared with regards benefits and the financial impact an admittance may have.
    I think Turn to us have given you the wrong info. I copied this from a link.
    If the person you look after goes into hospital and you continue to provide care for at least 35 hours a week, you can continue to get Carer's Allowance until their disability benefit stops. This means that if the person you look after is a child who is under 18 when they go into hospital, and you continue to provide care for at least 35 hours a week, you can continue to get Carer's Allowance for the whole time they are there.
    Here's link it came from, scroll to the bottom and you'll see it.
    https://www.carersuk.org/help-and-advice/financial-support/help-with-benefits/carers-allowance

You could also ring Carers Allowance to ask for confirmation of this.
  • Ames
    Ames Posts: 18,459 Forumite
    Turn to us probably aren't the best place to ask about complex and niche benefit issues.

I think a better bet would be CAB, Mind or the carers charities.

'
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
  • Treehorn
    Thanks for your reply.

I thought I could continue to get it too as I will be the main point of contact for her mental health team and I will still be providing care by visiting, doing her laundry, dealing with DWP and school etc.
  • pmlindyloo
    Treehorn wrote: »
    Thanks for your reply.

I thought I could continue to get it too as I will be the main point of contact for her mental health team and I will still be providing care by visiting, doing her laundry, dealing with DWP and school etc.

You should be OK. From Carer's UK

If the person you look after goes into hospital
    If the person you look after goes into hospital and you are no longer providing care for at least 35 hours a week, you can continue to get Carer's Allowance for up to 12 weeks or until their disability benefit stops.
    if you are looking after a child who was under 18 when they went into hospital, their disability benefit can continue to be paid for the whole time they are there
    if you look after an adult aged 18+ their disability benefit will stop after 28 days (and may stop sooner if they have been in hospital or residential care in the 28 days before this current stay)
    Note that Carer’s Allowance will stop if your total breaks add up to more than 12 weeks in the past 26 weeks.
    If the person you look after goes into hospital and you continue to provide care for at least 35 hours a week, you can continue to get Carer's Allowance until their disability benefit stops. This means that if the person you look after is a child who is under 18 when they go into hospital, and you continue to provide care for at least 35 hours a week, you can continue to get Carer's Allowance for the whole time they are there.
    If your Carer’s Allowance stops due to the person you look after being in hospital, you can continue to get the carer premium or addition paid within your means-tested benefits for eight weeks after your Carer’s Allowance stops. If you were receiving Income Support as a carer, this can continue for up to eight weeks after your Carer’s Allowance stops (and should increase to the amount you were receiving from both Carer’s Allowance and Income Support).

In your case, since your daughter is under 18 then her DLA will continue.

So you can continue to get CA for up to 12 weeks and if/when it stops then you can get another 8 weeks of |Income Support with the Carer's premium.

But do ring CarersUK to reassure yourself.
  • Treehorn
    Thank you.

This is such a stressful time waiting for a bed and also ensuring that financially home will be OK.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure