Advice about Enhanced DBS, Univeristy and Social Work

Hello,

I'm seeking advise. I got some conditional offers for a BA Social Work course but I've been very very stupid with my disicisons lately and I've managed to get a caution for fraud. I mistakenly used a friend's card believing it was my own (we have the same bank and I didn't check name just used contactless). Police have given me a caution. Would I still get in to do my BA Social Work course or would they refuse me?

Thanks

Comments

• Hello,

I'm seeking advise. I got some conditional offers for a BA Social Work course but I've been very very stupid with my disicisons lately and I've managed to get a caution for fraud. I mistakenly used a friend's card believing it was my own (we have the same bank and I didn't check name just used contactless). Police have given me a caution. Would I still get in to do my BA Social Work course or would they refuse me?

Thanks

The caution will come up on an Enhanced DBS check.

Whether or not the university will still want to offer you a place is up to them.

It might be a good idea to come up with a better explanation than you have posted here as there is clearly more to this caution that a one-off accidental use of a friend's debit card.

An honest and sincere explanation will be so much better than trying to be flippant and claiming it was just a simple mistake.

I suspect that you think I am being harsh but there is definitely more to this than what you have posted here.
  • Savvy_Sue
    Savvy_Sue Posts: 46,021 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I don't think anyone can say for certain, so I'd ask, but ...

it sounds like there's more to this than you're saying. I can't imagine a situation where you mistakenly use someone else's card and end up with the police involved - surely when you find out you go "oh no this is so embarrassing, here's what I accidentally spent, I'll make sure I don't do THAT again."

And if you'd done that, I struggle to believe that the police would waste time on even a caution.

great minds ... cross posted!
    Signature removed for peace of mind
  • nimbo
    nimbo Posts: 3,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    When I was applying all applicants were advised that they would be required to complete a dbs by x date to get them back for the start of term / way before any placements.

They advised anyone with a criminal record to apply earlier as they would convene a panel of interviewers for job roles from organisations where they may consider you doing placements. These people would them look at the criminal convictions and honestly state if they would potentially employ you as a social worker. My uni had the opinion there was little point of you getting the degree if you wouldn’t then be employed as a social worker. Many people apply as mature students who may have once in their teens done something a bit silly and then never again so it wouldn’t stop them getting a job. However if a person has regularly been involved in criminal activity it would be viewed differently.

I don’t know what would be thought of a caution for fraud. My biggest worry would be how very recent it was. When I get police checks back for people old cautions are usually disregarded if they are a one off (and not for violent offences or for issues of a sexual nature or anything against a child etc). But anything recent always rings an alarm bell for me. I need to be clear and say I am not on interview panels - but hopefully the places you have interviewed for will have a similar approach to put your mid at ease.

It does sound as if there is more to that story - and that would be a concern as one of the expectations of a sw is not to behave in a manner to bring the name into disrepute. How did you have their card? Why did you have it? How did this then get you a caution?

I’m not expecting you answer those questions on a public forum. But if I’d spent £5 on my sisters card I’d have given it back and apologised. ( but I’ve never been in the position where I could have done that) if they’d given you permission I don’t imagine you could have been done for fraud. Although I am now re thinking ever buying my partner his lunch with his own card now... it sounds more sisnister then you have described it as being. For a dbs an employer/ uni will only see the caution - so the title and the Act it comes under. These sometimes sound very scary and will often need googling to actually be understood.

Stashbuster - 2014 98/100 - 2015 175/200 - 2016 501 / 500 2017 - 200 / 500 2018 3 / 500
    :T:T
  • Comms69
    Comms69 Posts: 14,229 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 11:07AM
    Hello,

Thanks

This doesn't make sense. You were presumably arrested for fraud, provided a free solicitor, took advice and and advised to refuse the caution.

On the basis of what you say there is no criminality (no mens rea - google it)

Which is why I, along with others, cant advice accurately. What you say doesn't ring true.
  • I was never arrested. I have been interviewed about it but heard nothing since. They said it would be down the my friend as when I rang and told her she's rang the police and crimed it. I apologised and said I'd give her back the money I spent and do what I could to fix it. I went to work after this and half an hour in to my shift I was called to see managers, made to resign and wait for the police since she crimed it. Gave my accoint of what happened and was sent home. I've never done anything like this before and I'm devasted it happened. The police says it's down to my friend what happens but at worst I could receive a caution. Ive received my offers but haven't accepted any as of yet and have not begun the dbs checks.
  • Comms69
    I was never arrested. - So you were invited to an interview? I have been interviewed about it but heard nothing since. - Did you get legal advice, I guess not? You have to agree a caution, you aren't served with one They said it would be down the my friend as when I rang and told her she's rang the police and crimed it. I apologised and said I'd give her back the money I spent and do what I could to fix it. - Well that's just not true. We don't press charges in the UK I went to work after this and half an hour in to my shift I was called to see managers, made to resign and wait for the police since she crimed it. - what?? That just doesn't make sense Gave my accoint of what happened and was sent home. I've never done anything like this before and I'm devasted it happened. The police says it's down to my friend what happens but at worst I could receive a caution. Ive received my offers but haven't accepted any as of yet and have not begun the dbs checks.

Well maybe you should find out what happened to the case. If you haven't signed anything then you haven't got a caution
  • Sorry if I'm not making much sense. I was never invited to an interview. We work at the same place and work saw it as gross misconduct as I'd used the card there. I had the card about a week as I have several cards and thought it was mine, when I came to putting the pin in and it said incorrect is when I realised it wasn't and rang her and explained, apologised and offered her the money back which I spent. She went on to crime it as I'd used the card multiple times without her knowledge and she rang work and explain what had happened which led to me either being dismissed with a disciplinary or resign immediately. I didn't want a disciplinary so I resigned. Since it was crimed the police came to my place of work as I wasn't allowed to leave. Gave my account of events and they let me go. It's only been a few days but I was wanting advice on it. I haven't been given anything by the police or any contact details for the people handling the case
  • TonyMMM
    TonyMMM Posts: 3,379 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    A caution by police is given after you admit guilt - if this was a genuine mistake then there was no offence committed, so you certainly shouldn't accept a caution for it.

From what you have said this is just an enquiry in progress - wait and see what the outcome is.
  • Comms69
    Sorry if I'm not making much sense. I was never invited to an interview. We work at the same place and work saw it as gross misconduct as I'd used the card there. I had the card about a week as I have several cards and thought it was mine, when I came to putting the pin in and it said incorrect is when I realised it wasn't and rang her and explained, apologised and offered her the money back which I spent. She went on to crime it as I'd used the card multiple times without her knowledge and she rang work and explain what had happened which led to me either being dismissed with a disciplinary or resign immediately. I didn't want a disciplinary so I resigned. Since it was crimed the police came to my place of work as I wasn't allowed to leave. Gave my account of events and they let me go. It's only been a few days but I was wanting advice on it. I haven't been given anything by the police or any contact details for the people handling the case

Shame, you might've won the disciplinary....

Just FYI you can leave anywhere at any time, unless the police arrest you (or you're in prison).

At the minute you have no record. I suspect it will stay that way. Can I suggest you research some basic rights, laws and criminal procedure.

Not sure why you started off saying you got a caution for fraud.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,720 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 January 2018 at 1:49PM
    Being picky now, but if you're going to do a degree you might want to start using correct English instead of made up words such as "she crimed it."

You will know if/when you are offered a caution. Take proper legal advice before accepting it if it comes to that because it will stay on your record. Although I'm curious how you had the card in your possession to use multiple times and why your friend didn't notice it had gone AWOL.
    You might also have been hasty in resigning prior to disciplinary, as any reference could now state that you left while disciplinary action was pending although it's too late to change that now. Can I suggest that in future if anything happens, get some proper advice before you make any rushed decisions.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure