PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Two)

Options

Comments

• Need2bthrifty
    Options
    Had some Cottage cheese on toast with a drizzle of sweet chilli sauce for breakfast, the hotpot is in the slow cooker and already starting to emit a lovely smell in the kitchen :D

I have a match to play the other side of town at noon and also want to get a couple of miles walked before then so little opportunity for lunch today, I will probably just snack on some fruit then have my hotpot when I get home mid-afternoon.
  • MrAPJI
    MrAPJI Posts: 112 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning to all :)

It was scrambled eggs for breakfast - must have overcooked them - they tasted awful and you should see the saucepan :). This was followed by some grapes - just right - can't stand them when they are too soft.

Money, I feel the same about 'visual loss' - the thought of that happening is terrifying and my biggest fear. That's probably why I so admire Molly - she hasn't become 'a victim' and dedicates her life to helping other people. Her mum is very special too (she usually travels with Molly) - supporting her daughter, but at the same time allowing her the opportunity to spread her wings :)

Lunch will be chicken in a spicy tomato sauce, served on top of some pasta. I've been assured that it's a 'very' easy recipe, so I really hope so :).

It's another gloomy day here. I've decided that it's time to sort my garage out - what's lurking in there is anyone's guess :)
  • Stoke
    Stoke Posts: 3,182 Forumite
    Options
    Last night I took some diced casserole beef, and made a weird DIY curry.

I used passata, two table spoons of curry powder, some ginger, basil, and a load of other weird herbs in my spice rack :D

Turned out actually really good and provided tea and lunch for today.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 9 January 2018 at 11:50AM
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    Morning to all :)

It was scrambled eggs for breakfast - must have overcooked them - they tasted awful and you should see the saucepan :). This was followed by some grapes - just right - can't stand them when they are too soft.

Scrambled eggs - 2 eggs (freerange obv.), a dash of milk (say a dessertspoon worth), grind of black pepper, grind of Himalayan pink salt, knob of butter (say half an ounce?) and cook on LOW heat VERY slowly, stirring frequently is my definition of how to cook scrambled eggs.

They then come out nice and creamy. It's the butter and the low heat that's the clue.

On that note - better do some housework before heading off for that lunch with a friend. I know what I'm really doing right now - and that's hanging around near the phone because it's the norm for my mother to phone me early on my birthday (ie that would be today then...) to wish me "Happy Birthday". It's not so much that she hasnt yet - as that I know the reason - ie her mind is now such that she probably hasnt remembered. From a couple of things she's said - she does know this is happening to her mind...
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    :wave::bdaycake::grin:

happy birthday money, many of them

I got my smoothie blender whatsit out and decided to blitz my berry assortment with soyjade soya milk. Goodness in one glass and it was truly loverly, berries were still part frozen but that would make an awesome cooler for summer as it was thick. Needless to say I wanted a hot drink after that and hankered after a really good cup of coffee. Got my grinder and large machine out of the shed and made a real coffee with some frothed milk. Oh my goodness, what a treat. I put them in the shed thinking I should make space on my worktops but heyho, its only me and I can have what I like out, until I go up for sale and then much has to be temporarily re-located but don`t need to do that until then :D I have been having instant coffee, to use it up but in comparison, it aint nice
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    No way does 150g of pasta feed two people.

I've weighed a lot of my food in the past year, to work out exactly how much I DO cook to eat. And 75g of pasta, for me, makes "the equivalent meal I'd get from a ready meal for one".

I try to keep my portion sizes somewhere in line with what a ready meal would give me ... even though I think they skimp a bit ... because when you look at calories and published portion sizes they do seem to be correct. Small, but correct.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    MrAPJI wrote: »
    I feel the same about 'visual loss' - the thought of that happening is terrifying and my biggest fear.

that is exactly why I need to move, to be nearer to a shop, within walking distance of a bus, village hall and activities and easier for a taxi to locate. It was the realisation that my retina, like that of anyone over 40, is degenerating only I saw the 3d image, an optional with my optician and seeing it in colour and in 3D, even though I am in normal parameters for my age, is terrifying. Seeing the enlarging hole around the optic nerves, experiencing the floaters, seeing the small custers of dry amd. Reality set in pdq, I cleared every room, my very large insulated shed and my garage and all could now be packed to move. I ached and ached but persisited

My garage was bad mrAP, it is sorted now but I have many large boxes of tools, cycle kit etc plus workbench, scrollsaw, pillar drill etc. No way is any of that going to be re-homed as I want to set up a workshop somewhere on my new plot. I have new skills to learn, may even get a bandsaw. The thought of moving it all is a nightmare but I think I can do all well enough, with professional help. Not somewhere smaller, just somewhere else, only a mile or so from here but it will make all the difference to me feeling more secure if I could not drive

I coped with clearing my husbands things by setting to very early in the grieving process, giving away what was wanted by family and just bagging the rest, a bag at a time and re-homing with someone else via the charity shop. I did gift aid and know I made a lot of money for them, the hospice shop, just by the good amount of tax that they got back. It was all very therapeutic, cheery music on the cd player and knowing that my husband would have wanted exactly that. The last of his things went only a few months ago, they were the most difficult but he would have wanted me to make a new life for myself. This, I know is the last stage in the healing process, being able to make that new life for myself.
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Scrambled eggs - 2 eggs (freerange obv.), a dash of milk (say a dessertspoon worth), grind of black pepper, grind of Himalayan pink salt, knob of butter (say half an ounce?) and cook on LOW heat VERY slowly, stirring frequently is my definition of how to cook scrambled eggs.

They then come out nice and creamy. It's the butter and the low heat that's the clue.

On that note - better do some housework before heading off for that lunch with a friend. I know what I'm really doing right now - and that's hanging around near the phone because it's the norm for my mother to phone me early on my birthday (ie that would be today then...) to wish me "Happy Birthday". It's not so much that she hasnt yet - as that I know the reason - ie her mind is now such that she probably hasnt remembered. From a couple of things she's said - she does know this is happening to her mind...

Awww hugs love. Happy Birthday hope your Mum phones soon its heartbreaking to watch parents suffer memory loss.
    Slimming World at target
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,514 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Luxury non MSE scrambled eggs involve cream rather than milk. Just saying ...

I was once told that the true test of a chef was the ability to get scrambled eggs just right.
  • BucksLady
    BucksLady Posts: 567 Forumite
    Options
    :bdaycake:

Happy Birthday Money :) xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts