LTA and BCEs

Comments

• TcpnT
    TcpnT Posts: 277 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    In the example in your last paragraph (someone tell me how to get a quote in a yellow box please):

Assuming you have already used 100% of your LTA and you wish to crystallise another £300k there will be a further LTA test which will reveal that you have no remaining LTA. You will have the choice of whether to take £300k - 55% = £135k as cash or to move £300k - 25% = £225k into your drawdown fund. Once there withdrawals will be taxed in the normal way
  • eric100 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, to add some more context.....

Pension A) transfer would be £970k (error on my behalf). The annual pension is £22500 so a good transfer value IMO

I'm 57 later this year
    Eric

Some details are missing to make a bit more sense of the transfer value:-

is the £22.5k everything without no lump sum coming to you and from what age is that taken
    (i.e. if you take it now or when?)
    What is the guaranteed increase on your DB e.g. RPI with 5% max?
    Do you have a spouse? What would she get if you died first?
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • LOST
    LOST Posts: 292 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    LTA just as IHT is a good problem. Tax on more money at the end of the day and there are numerous ways to mitigate.

Don't get hung up on LTA unless you are crystallising the whole lot over the next few years. Jo Bloggs does not eally need to do that.

If LTA is an issue leave DB where it is and take benefits as they are prescribed to you.

You need solid advice about what you need and not just about transferring or LTA issues.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    LOST wrote: »
    LTA just as IHT is a good problem. Tax on more money at the end of the day and there are numerous ways to mitigate.
    An additional tax that deliberately punishes diligent saving and good investment performance is hardly a "good problem". Aside from the assorted protections, seemingly not applicable here, there are virtually no ways to mitigate the LTA penalty. It is designed to be unavoidable.
    Don't get hung up on LTA unless you are crystallising the whole lot over the next few years. Jo Bloggs does not really need to do that.
    You are talking arrant nonsense. Once at the LTA, crystallising the whole lot immediately would be many people's smartest move.
  • LOST
    EdSwippet wrote: »
    An additional tax that deliberately punishes diligent saving and good investment performance is hardly a "good problem". Aside from the assorted protections, seemingly not applicable here, there are virtually no ways to mitigate the LTA penalty. It is designed to be unavoidable.

You are talking arrant nonsense. Once at the LTA, crystallising the whole lot immediately would be many people's smartest move.

There are too many variables to consider. Crystallising your whole pension is a dangerous move unless you need the money which most people would not unless say they were buying a holiday home or something else lumpy.
    {Signature removed by Forum Team - if you are not sure why we have removed your signature please contact the Forum Team}
  • TcpnT
    TcpnT Posts: 277 Forumite
    Dangerous in what way ?
  • EdSwippet
    EdSwippet Posts: 1,588 Forumite
    Crystallising your whole pension is a dangerous move unless you need the money ...
    You seem to be confusing 'crystallisation' with 'withdrawal'. They are not the same thing.
  • LOST wrote: »
    There are too many variables to consider. Crystallising your whole pension is a dangerous move unless you need the money which most people would not unless say they were buying a holiday home or something else lumpy.
    I agree with Ed -you seem to be confusing crystallisation with withdrawal.

Of course, if you intend to buy something lumpy - remember that pension income is taxable too - so if you withdraw a huge chunk - you will probably be giving Mr Hammond a whole chunk of his tax back as higher rate (he says thanks BTW).
  • LOST
    Yes ed. Why would you crystallize if you weren't looking to withdraw?
  • LOST wrote: »
    Yes ed. Why would you crystallize if you weren't looking to withdraw?
    You have lost me LOST! Ed is right.

This might help -https://www.intelligentpensions.com/media/1169/lifetime-allowance-factsheet1.pdf, but then so might the replies above have helped.

The possible crystallisation event are various as defined in the link. The point at which they occur AND your "use" of % of any LTA over time and the relevant LTA limit at each crystallisation all matter, as their example outlines.

TBH I think it may be worth you getting some formal advice - so someone can walk through these things and your options with you. There are some big consequences for making the wrong choices given on the base of the numbers you will probably exceed the LTA - but you might be able to take advantage of a protection to limit that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure