Pay off mortgage and start having fun!

Options

Comments

• newgirly
    newgirly Posts: 8,940 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    :xmastree: only one month to go :D

I ordered lots of dvd's last night as that's mainly what the kids want this year, I have strange children they are mainly old horror films! I did of course use the megashopbot tool and topcashback ;)

Off to the gym this morning (I will never get sick of saying that :rotfl:) then Xmas shopping with my mum, which I find really hard as if you have to look around for ideas you probably didn't want or need it anyway.

I start work officially tomorrow , the house is a mess and I have a mountain of ironing to do, so my plan of a super new organised me has not happened, I did spend the day cleaning dh's new factory though so have not had much time or at least that's my excuse.

Hope everyone had a good weekend :)
    2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
  • Peonie
    Peonie Posts: 1,471 Forumite
    Options
    Hi NG, I can't believe the hours your DH has put in to move factory, and you too. Think of all the exercise you did cleaning it.

Good luck at the new job.
    Pots: House £6966/£7100, Rainy day Complete, [STRIKE]Sunny day £0/£700[/STRIKE], IVF £2523/£2523, Car up-keep £135/£135, New car £5000/£5000, Holiday £1000/£1000, MFW #16 £2077/£3120
    MFiT3 #86: Reduce mortgage from £146,800 to £125,000
    Mortgage Sept 2014: £135,500, MF Oct 2035 Peak July 2011: £154,000, MF July 2036
  • newgirly
    Options
    Hi Peonie, thanks for popping in :)

Unfortunately everything is still not ready at the factory despite the many helpers and silly hours dh has put in. Tomorrow I am still starting but my work area is not finished yet, so I am going to be painting benches instead.

I can't believe its nearly Xmas tree time already, I think this year I will put it all up the second week of December rather than the first other wise it will have to go up on a pile of paperwork and ironing that needs sorting still :rotfl: I think it may be time to do an extended to do list for now until Xmas.
      • Find presents bought so far
        • Work out if kids have same amount and finish buying
        • Clear conservatory and move machine to new factory
        • Keep on top of housework
        • Host a pre Xmas , Xmas dinner for family (I do it a few weeks before as my parents do the real thing!)
        • Arrange a couple of nights out with friends and just the two of us
        • Finish Xmas shopping
        • Write some cards, but not too many
        • Buy silly table presents for 13
        • Wrap all presents
          • Buy Xmas wine as mr t has 25% off
          • Plan Boxing Day dinner and invite family from both sides
          • Dig out Xmas decs from down the garden and put up
          • Try and see the nutcracker
          • Visit harry potter studios Xmas eve
            • Carry on with the gym as often as possible
            • Try and stick to flyladying and basic chores
      2022 MFW 67 - 33 month challenge to clear mortgage, month 17 completed and and extra 2 knocked off 🙂MFI3 No.12
    • SmlSave
      SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
      First Anniversary Combo Breaker
      Options
      Well done for joining and actually going to the gym ng :)

Do you and DH want to go to Disneyland? I'm sure the kids would enjoy going or enjoy lots of little trips.

Lots of luck with your long list
      Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
      Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
    • newgirly
      Options
      Hi smlsave, hope yu and bump are well :) to be honest I would like to go but am not looking forwards to the travelling /spending/driving :o the thought of centerparcs is much more enticing , an hour unload and relax, but we have done that already.

First day at work was ok, they are still not open so I spent the day painting machinery in the yard in the cold as I idin't want to get paint on my coat. Then it was a dash to drop dd at her work placement, then off to the gym I am sooo tired after just one day!

I have decided that I can't get on top of everything just now so priorities are:

Feed kids , us and pets daily, make sure all uniforms are clean every night ,go to gym , keep washing/ironing up to date. Everything else can wait until the weekend. :p
    • newgirly
      Options
      Yay , let off work early as all painting finished for the moment on only heavy lifting left :j

After a long hot bath I'm going to go through the accounts and make an op if there is any money there.
    • SmlSave
      SmlSave Posts: 4,911 Forumite
      First Anniversary Combo Breaker
      Options
      Hi newgirly :) we are fine thanks but a bit accident prone atm!
      I would go for centreparcs over Disney any day but that's just me.

Be careful if you do any heavy lifting please
      Currently studying for a Diploma - wish me luck :)

Phase 1 - Emergency Fund - Complete :j
      Phase 2 - £20,000 Mortgage Fund - Underway
    • newgirly
      Options
      Financial planning continued part 529 :D

Leave mortgage half IO £73k and half repayment starting next month £73k

Prioritise clearing cc's :

1). Santander start bal. jan £ 5076 , 0% until may 2014 - pay off at a rate of £898 pm jan-may and pay £586 from 1st wage packet in December.

2). Mnba start bal jan £9123 0% until July 2015 , pay minimum whilst clearing the Santander then op by £666 pm

The loan can chug along until its done , I have transferred lots of it to the 0% cc's anyway do the end date is earlier -April 2017

So only tiny op's again for next year :(

I think the break to Disney will be cancelled tomorrow, after much wrestling with it, I would prefer to be a little selfish and focus on clearing the first card during the early part of next year. It doesn't feel right to be saving up large sums for a break when we have not cracked on to clearing the debts at all yet since having the loft done.

The cottage we stayed in at alton towers is available for the few days we have left on our annual passes next April, so that might be an option.

So a super frugal first half of the year in 2014
    • newgirly
      Options
      I'm feeling a bit more in control now I have made a plan for next year, after the first half of the year there will be just over £200 available to spend on fun or save pm, which is more than we have ever had before left. :D

Last night I made dh the biggest pasty you have ever seen to use up a batch cooked mince /veg mix in the freezer, we have many odds and ends I would like to use up over the next couple of weeks to make room for lovely Xmas food :drool:I am inviting both sides of the family over for a Xmas dinner in couple of weeks, plus we are doing Boxing Day for maybe up to 15.

Off to stick a wash on and do lunches.
    • tootoo
      tootoo Posts: 681 Forumite
      First Anniversary First Post
      Options
      Hi New
      It is a lot of money. I'm saving for a big holiday and have considered disney but dh is horrified at the cost.

We usually go to centerparcs twice a year and I find it really easy at the mo with the kids being so young. I'm sure wherever you go you will have some fun quality family time :)
      MFW.....Apr 33 Aim - Dec 26
    Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
    • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
    • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
    • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
    • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
    • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
    • 173.1K Life & Family
    • 247.9K Travel & Transport
    • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure