Rights if courtesy bus for ferry didn't arrive?

I booked with stena line with a deal called rail and sail. The idea being that you get on a train in Great Britain and they get you to Ireland. At one part of the journey there is a courtesy bus to take you from the train station to the port. However the bus didn't arrive and the staff at the terminal told me he didn't bother picking people up that day.

What exactly our my rights here? I almost missed my ferry and it cost me a fair bit for a taxi. Thank you :)

Comments

• cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If they have told you there would be a bus to take you there in the contract then they are in breach of contract and must reimburse you any reasonable losses. Getting a taxi to the train station seems reasonable all things considered.

If however you got a taxi to the port and decided to skip the train then that would not be reasonable as you still had the option to take the train but didn't.
  • ThumbRemote
    ThumbRemote Posts: 4,620 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Agree with the above, you are entitled to a refund of the taxi fare. Have you contacted Stena Line to ask for reimbursement?
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    cono1717 wrote: »
    If however you got a taxi to the port and decided to skip the train then that would not be reasonable as you still had the option to take the train but didn't.

I read it as the bus was the middle part of the journey, and that the OP had already taken the train only to find that the bus didn't turn up so had to take a taxi for that part of the journey instead. If nobody from Stena bothered to resolve it at the time then I'm sure they should be responsible for reimbursing the taxi fare.
  • Arcan
    Arcan Posts: 89 Forumite
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I read it as the bus was the middle part of the journey, and that the OP had already taken the train only to find that the bus didn't turn up so had to take a taxi for that part of the journey instead. If nobody from Stena bothered to resolve it at the time then I'm sure they should be responsible for reimbursing the taxi fare.

Yes, that's right.
  • cono1717
    cono1717 Posts: 762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Yes - just using it as an example for future reference.

In this instance you would be perfectly justified in your actions of reclaiming the taxi fare...please tell me you got a receipt from the taxi....
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure