Dreaming of financial freedom!

Options

Comments

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,897 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    I've definitely cried over less! ;)

It was all sounding so positive - you have my sympathy!
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• SuperSecretSquirrel
    Options
    I was loving post 98, and then came the final paragraph :(

As for dinner, you're not the only one. Picture the scene: An amazing casserole, slowly cooking in the oven all afternoon, filling the house with insanely delicious smells... Casserole dish dropped on the way out of the oven, smashed to smithereens, dinner and glass mixture all over the floor. Cheesy beans on toast for dinner instead, the smell of the casserole still lingering as if to taunt us. I feel your pain :)
  • ch4rly2002
    ch4rly2002 Posts: 460 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion
    Options
    Thank you for the lovely comments, and I'm glad I'm not the only one that it's happened to. SSS I know what you mean about the smell taunting you. I actually would have preferred what I made to the takeaway and every time I went into the kitchen I could smell it.

Now I've had a couple of days to process things, I feel much more positive. DH took the car to a local garage for them to give it a once over and make sure it is safe to drive. Luckily they said it is safe to drive and looks to just be cosmetic. Hopefully will get away with just having to replace the bumper. He'll get a quote when he gets back, but it will probably work out better just to pay for the repair rather than going through insurance... I don't expect it to cost more than a few hundred but we'll see what they come back with. You never know what they might find lurking when they get started. I've told DH no more driving at night (last time he was going from the Nottingham office so went a different route and yet again a road was closed and the diversion signs just seemed to stop so he ended up having to go the long way round and it added a lot of time and mileage to his trip).

I'm doing a stall at a gala on 1st May that my Grandma invited me to. I'm really looking forward to it and I think it will be a good chance to sell some of the children's items I have (there will be scouts and brownies there etc.). I decided to spend some time prepping for that last night as I was fed up of the news. It feels like Brexit is all that appears in my FB news feed and on the news, I'm fed up of hearing about it now so I've taken some time away from the screens and did something productive instead.

We're going out for a meal tonight to celebrate Mother's Day with MIL as we didn't get chance to on Sunday and we had planned to go out on Monday but she wasn't feeling well. DH is going to go straight there from Norwich and I'll go to the in-laws after work to have a coffee and chat beforehand. It's nice to get along with the in-laws. I imagine it can be pretty miserable if you don't, especially if it's a close family (like my in-laws are) so you spend a lot of time with them.

OnePoll is progressing nicely... £23.35, on the countdown now. I'm looking forward to my first pay out. Everything seems to be a bit slow at the moment. Has anyone had any look with competitions? I was thinking of taking a look at the comps board but there seem to be so many that I wouldn't know where to start. I think something that doesn't take too much time and is simple to follow and remember would be good. I'm not too worried about competing for big prizes... I'm happy with a free pen!

Right, I think that's a long enough coffee break. Back to it. Have a good everyone!
    Mortgage: Mar 2018 -£300,000 / Jul 2021 -£255,000
    Student Loan: March 2011 -£18,275.04 / Jul 2021 -£10,425.28
    Joint Savings: Aim £13.5k. Dec 2016 £1,700 / Jul 2021 £36,600
    Loan to In-Laws: Sep 2010 -£48,185.82 / Apr 2019 £0
    Car Loan: Sep 2018 -£16,265 / Apr 2019 £0
    Credit Card 0%: Nov 2016 -£4,500 / Apr 2019 £0
  • themadvix
    edited 30 March 2017 at 5:47PM
    Options
    Hope you have a nice evening tonight - I know what you mean about in-laws, I get on well with mine and can quite easily pop round on my own for a cuppa (I still have a door key that was given to me when I had to water the plants while they were away one year - they won't take it back!).

I sporadically enter a load of competitions, but have never won anything from the comps board. I have won other competitions though - try to find the ones that involve a bit more effort or have a smaller readership (which reminds me, I need to check the local paper - entered one in there last week).

ETA: Just flicked through local paper to see if there were any comps and lo and behold, Martin is in there telling people to switch utilities!! He gets everywhere!

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• ch4rly2002
    Options
    He gets around, doesn't he?! :money:

I'll give the comps a go, but I'm not expecting to win anything (if I do, it'll be a bonus!). I'll try local as well in case that helps.
  • ch4rly2002
    Options
    Finally the mortgage payments have been made! I realise I must sound like a mad woman getting excited about mortgage payments, but I love to see the balance reduce. Having to wait past the 1st of the month for the payments to come out wasn't fun but finally I can update my signature :) Small TT OP on the residential mortgage of £39.72 to round down, so now it stands at an even, and satisfying, £200,200! I had hoped to get under £200k this month but with the car repair looming and holiday to be booked, it just isn't happening...I can't wait for the mortgage to start with a 1 rather than a 2! The BTL mortgage stands at £126,695 after a £4 TT OP. The usual £500 monthly OP is on hold for the short term while we sort the car and the hols. Next month I will make sure it gets to £126k, even if it means an OP (it will ;) ) as that marks £10k off the mortgage since we took out the BTL mortgage.

Our company's spin-merge took place yesterday and a new company was born! (after 12 months of hard work from everyone!). It was a moment to celebrate as it has been a hard push from everyone to make sure it went smoothly. We decided to go into the office to celebrate with our colleagues, and stopped off for a McDonald's breakfast on the way down as we had made such good time (thank you school holidays) so it was a nice unexpected treat. We were asked to wear black and white, the new company's colours, and it kind of felt more like a funeral for the old company than a celebration of the new one! anyway, they handed out a free notebook, pen and mug in the morning and a voucher for a free drink and piece of cake, which was nice. We had lunch with our colleagues, caught up with gossip, then in the afternoon we all gathered round a TV and watched our new CEO of our new company ring the New York stock exchange bell. It was as much of a celebration as a satellite office is going to get and I enjoyed it. I think there would have been an exciting buzz around the larger flagship offices, but we're all old and skeptical in our office ;) After work we stopped into the Denby factory and picked up some lovely, and very cheap, bits and pieces. My favourite was a gorgeous cake stand reduced from £48 to £11 :) I love afternoon tea so I thought in summer I could make my own and serve it on the patio furniture in the garden... hopefully the wasps won't ruin this idyllic day dream! After Denby we went to a colleague's house for tea (he and his brother have become our close friends over the years). We played some games and had a good catch up. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The only thing that could have improved the day is if the fuel had been paid, but it is our assigned office so we had to fund it ourselves. As it was a special occasion with the new company, and we got to see our friends, we didn't mind paying for the fuel, but it isn't really MS.

I had a couple of McDonald's receipts to scan into receipt hog from breakfast yesterday and a couple of coffees. I know buying coffee out isn't MS, but sometimes when we're out and about we just fancy a coffee and with their loyalty scheme you get a free one after a few visits so it doesn't seem as bad. After scanning them in, I noticed a bit at the top that asks for feedback from the visit in return for a Big Mac and fries for £1.99 - so I have done that and got the codes. At that price we can have a no cook day this week and I won't feel guilty, but we'll take our own drinks so we don't get stung for a few quid on drinks. I need to pay more attention to receipts and look for more feedback rewards / competition entries.

Lunch is from the cupboard (I will use up some of our stocks!) and then I will do some shopping for the rest of the week and BIL coming tonight for the Walking Dead finale (he couldn't come yesterday as we didn't get back until late).

Have a good day! :)
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Hi ch4rly! Don't worry about being a mad woman because I think everyone on this forum gets excited about their mortgage payment coming out and their amount being reduced, I know I certainly do! Hope you enjoy the walking dead finale! I had so many emotions watching it ranging from hysteria to squealing with excitement! Lol! X
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • ch4rly2002
    Options
    thanks Jessy, I guess this is the right place for people to understand!

The Walking Dead finale did not disappoint! I can't wait for the next season! We still have Game of Thrones to look forward to over the summer though so DH will be happy ��
  • Jessy103
    Jessy103 Posts: 1,824 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    It was amazing especially shiva!! Ch4rly we're like two peas in a pod because I can't wait for game of thrones to come back on! If you like to read I would recommend the books because although the show is amazing the books are even better and have so much more going on! X
    Mortgage Balance as of Jan 24 £36,500 Starting Mortgage Balance (June 2019) £72,000. 2024 Overpayment Challenge: Jan £558.40, Feb £588.11, Mar £497.32
  • themadvix
    Options
    Sounds like Monday was a special day Ch4rly and well worth the money you spent to spend time with friends.

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback