Frump to Fab 2017 - A Whole New World

Comments

• dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    indiepanda wrote: »
    How was the show? I really admire Ruby Wax - having suffered with mental health problems she goes off and studies to a high level, publishes books and goes out talking about it. If only my mum was inclined to take such a positive approach to trying to get over her mental ill health.

Ruby Wax show enjoyable. It is not a comedy show as such (although had some funny moments) but more of a book talk about the latest book Frazzled. Youngest had been listening to it on audio when walking to work and I (thought) I was reading it but unfortunately had bought the wrong book!:rotfl:So although she has been very open about her depression, the show was more about mindfulness and how to cope with everyday stresses. She also did a question and answer session at the end.
    I suffered from depression for many years from teen years until my forties. I don't quite know/why but it just seemed to stop then and if I feel my self getting overwhelmed I have developed startegies to cope. Although the last 3 years coping with eldest and her problems have been extremely challenging I have got through without medication. I have been seeing a counsellor as I have no-one really to talk to about eldest (her father (my exH) doesn't cope with emotional stuff) and have found that useful but have said that my next session with her will be my last.
    Anyway, shopping was also on the weekend agenda as I have been looking for some new perfume and the "perfect" lipstick. I have worn Estee Lauder's Pleasures scent for years and sort of want to try something new (and a bit cheaper) but despite trying loads haven't found one I like. The lipstick I want is proving to be elusive. I know what I want but can't seem to find the exact shade. I thought I had a few weeks ago and bought one but it smelt so weird (like children's play lipsticks - very sweet and sickly) that I couldn't wear it. So as much as was trying the colours at the weekend I was also smelling them all.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,233 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Dreaming have a look at Revlon lippies - I too can't stand the sickly smell of some. I keep going back to the same Revlon one, and have to admit that I always have a spare one still sealed in the drawer! Also good to read that about Ruby Wax, just bought DH her book so think that will be a good Valentine's present for him ;)
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Maddie.....have you tried silicol gel for your IBS. It also works for GERD too. I took it last time I had a bad flare up and am using it again this time.

I'm afraid it's not easy to take, bland and tasteless that's ok but the texture is a bit weird. Thankfully my symptoms are easing due partly to reduced stress obviously but also a combination of being very careful what I eat and dutifully taking my meds.I think sleeping better is also helping.

MAman. I decided against Aldi in the end. It's not as sunny today but still mild so I went for a walk in the park instead (trying to increase my step count). I'll do Aldi tomorrow, as you say Sundays can be a bit busy.

Just going to plant some bulbs - a bit Late but they are sprouting nice healthy green shoots so they might be ok. Then a cuppa and a manicure.

Joint of beef in the slow cooker and the veg is all prepped so nice and easy today.

LL - thank you for reminding me:D, I read about silicol gel on and IBS forum, and then completely forgot about it:(, I will write it down in my shopping notebook:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • LoLo
    LoLo Posts: 545 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Pink petal on the back of your post I have also joined meet up and am in the process of trying to find a group near me. Maybe we can virtually support each other with this.

I am having a bit of a rubbish time with my relationship at the moment and it has made me realise that I would have nobody if we split up and that it really sad that I don't have a single friend who I think I could call on if I needed someone. I have a few old friends who I maybe see once a year and those who always want to meet but never get round to it.

The down side is that I'm having a real confidence crisis and I feel fat and ugly and this is also causing the issues in my relationship, well that and my OH has changed recently and makes me suspicious, going out more, taking more care of himself and keeping his phone close to him. He says there isn't anyone else but he's not going to admit it if there is really.

Anyway I am trying to make more of an effort with myself and wear make up most days now and perfume every day. My downfall is clothing and I end up in jeans every day so need to change this.

Lessons learnedi like the idea of a year to change your life and think I might try to adopt this myself. I feel like I am in a rut at the moment, I need to lose some weight, I'm not happy in my job but don't know what else I would like to do and as stated above my relationship is possibly at the end of the road. I want this to be a more positive year for me and to come out of the other end in a good place whether that be single or still in my relationship.
  • dreaming wrote: »
    Ruby Wax show enjoyable. It is not a comedy show as such (although had some funny moments) but more of a book talk about the latest book Frazzled. Youngest had been listening to it on audio when walking to work and I (thought) I was reading it but unfortunately had bought the wrong book!:rotfl:So although she has been very open about her depression, the show was more about mindfulness and how to cope with everyday stresses. She also did a question and answer session at the end.
    I suffered from depression for many years from teen years until my forties. I don't quite know/why but it just seemed to stop then and if I feel my self getting overwhelmed I have developed startegies to cope. Although the last 3 years coping with eldest and her problems have been extremely challenging I have got through without medication. I have been seeing a counsellor as I have no-one really to talk to about eldest (her father (my exH) doesn't cope with emotional stuff) and have found that useful but have said that my next session with her will be my last.
    Anyway, shopping was also on the weekend agenda as I have been looking for some new perfume and the "perfect" lipstick. I have worn Estee Lauder's Pleasures scent for years and sort of want to try something new (and a bit cheaper) but despite trying loads haven't found one I like. The lipstick I want is proving to be elusive. I know what I want but can't seem to find the exact shade. I thought I had a few weeks ago and bought one but it smelt so weird (like children's play lipsticks - very sweet and sickly) that I couldn't wear it. So as much as was trying the colours at the weekend I was also smelling them all.

Glad to hear the show was enjoyable. Interesting to hear how you have recovered from your depression - did the recovery coincide with you getting a counsellor? My mum has suffered on and off for over 50 years and I've rather lost hope of her ever beating it now - think she didn't get talking therapy early enough. When she did I don't think the guy was much use at giving her strategies to cope so much as excuses as to why she was the way she was, which if anything I think made her worse as she then didn't expect to ever get over it. But mental health treatment is very much the Cinderella of the NHS, not enough funding or understanding and it was way worse when she was first ill in her mid 20s (she will be 80 this year).

I find it really hard to get lipsticks in shops that suit me - it seems like most of them have cool undertones and where you see warmer ones they tend to be a bit too bold - corals that scream for example. Most of mine end up coming from House of Colour as they have them made to suit all different seasons, but I did risk a couple in Boots yesterday as they had a 3 for 2 on Max Factor and I wanted a new mascara and theirs seem to be one of the better budget brands (I know not super cheap but I mean compared to the pricey beauty counter ones). Not actually checked in natural light if they suit me yet though! I got a couple of more pricey ones at the Smashbox counter earlier this year when I was going out after work and the make up bag I brought to work was missing a lipstick. Been pleased with those but it did take a lot of hunting to find the few warmer shades.

Perfume.... hmm, I am not the best person to ask about cheaper ones as I have a bit of a fondness for niche perfumes as I like to know that my friends aren't wearing the same thing - but they are not usually cheap. Although one of the few I repeat buy is super cheap which is Caldey Island Lavender. That's for home use only though, I spray it on in the evening to help me wind down. Boots have a lot of perfumes on discount at the moment (run up to Valentine's day) so would be a good time to go shopping in there and try some new things.

I have a super busy week ahead - out every night, yoga tonight, a seminar with a friend tomorrow night called "Be the Most Fabulous YOU", Ceroc on Wednesday (looking forward to putting what I learned at the workshop yesterday into practice), a work seminar on Thursday then going away Friday hiking in Swanage until Sunday. A few people I know from holidays overseas will be on that weekend so looking forward to catching up with them.

So with all that going on today is about getting all my hiking kit ready for the weekend (e.g. boots need a scrub after my last venture out on the Downs in the rain) and getting food prep done. Will be taking my trusty thermos to work with soup in the evenings as I won't be home to eat dinner any night. The plan I am following has you fasting for 12 hours a day, so I don't eat late in the evening now. Was down another 3lbs this week so quite encouraged by results so far and am sleeping way better - think that's down to the magnesium supplements the nutritionist recommended. Need to make more time for formal exercise this week but at least I've been more active what with Ceroc twice and dancing down the pub too.

Have a fab week all x
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    LoLo wrote: »
    Pink petal on the back of your post I have also joined meet up and am in the process of trying to find a group near me. Maybe we can virtually support each other with this.

I am having a bit of a rubbish time with my relationship at the moment and it has made me realise that I would have nobody if we split up and that it really sad that I don't have a single friend who I think I could call on if I needed someone. I have a few old friends who I maybe see once a year and those who always want to meet but never get round to it.

The down side is that I'm having a real confidence crisis and I feel fat and ugly and this is also causing the issues in my relationship, well that and my OH has changed recently and makes me suspicious, going out more, taking more care of himself and keeping his phone close to him. He says there isn't anyone else but he's not going to admit it if there is really.

Anyway I am trying to make more of an effort with myself and wear make up most days now and perfume every day. My downfall is clothing and I end up in jeans every day so need to change this.

Lessons learnedi like the idea of a year to change your life and think I might try to adopt this myself. I feel like I am in a rut at the moment, I need to lose some weight, I'm not happy in my job but don't know what else I would like to do and as stated above my relationship is possibly at the end of the road. I want this to be a more positive year for me and to come out of the other end in a good place whether that be single or still in my relationship.

Hello and welcome, sounds like you are having a difficult time at present, but you will find lots of supportive and friendly people on here, I agree that LL's year to change life plan is a great idea, slow and steady wins the race sort of thing:D
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • dreaming
    dreaming Posts: 1,139 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    indiepanda wrote: »
    Glad to hear the show was enjoyable. Interesting to hear how you have recovered from your depression - did the recovery coincide with you getting a counsellor? My mum has suffered on and off for over 50 years and I've rather lost hope of her ever beating it now - think she didn't get talking therapy early enough. When she did I don't think the guy was much use at giving her strategies to cope so much as excuses as to why she was the way she was, which if anything I think made her worse as she then didn't expect to ever get over it. But mental health treatment is very much the Cinderella of the NHS, not enough funding or understanding and it was way worse when she was first ill in her mid 20s (she will be 80 this year).

I find it really hard to get lipsticks in shops that suit me - it seems like most of them have cool undertones and where you see warmer ones they tend to be a bit too bold - corals that scream for example. Most of mine end up coming from House of Colour as they have them made to suit all different seasons, but I did risk a couple in Boots yesterday as they had a 3 for 2 on Max Factor and I wanted a new mascara and theirs seem to be one of the better budget brands (I know not super cheap but I mean compared to the pricey beauty counter ones). Not actually checked in natural light if they suit me yet though! I got a couple of more pricey ones at the Smashbox counter earlier this year when I was going out after work and the make up bag I brought to work was missing a lipstick. Been pleased with those but it did take a lot of hunting to find the few warmer shades.

Perfume.... hmm, I am not the best person to ask about cheaper ones as I have a bit of a fondness for niche perfumes as I like to know that my friends aren't wearing the same thing - but they are not usually cheap. Although one of the few I repeat buy is super cheap which is Caldey Island Lavender. That's for home use only though, I spray it on in the evening to help me wind down. Boots have a lot of perfumes on discount at the moment (run up to Valentine's day) so would be a good time to go shopping in there and try some new things.

Hi indiepanda. Not sure how things improved for me MH-wise. When I look back I first started showing signs when I was about 13. Back then (in the dark ages of the 60s) it wasn't talked about and I just covered up. After first child was born I was diagnosed with PND but apart from a super health visitor again it was just largely ignored by family. After 2nd child I was fine and for some time after but then it hit again and I had visits from a psychiatric nurse who linked it to my Mum having died when I was a child - apparently a common "cause". At the same time, after talking to my husband, she also suggested that it was he who was depressed and I was "taking on" his problems. After a few years I started studying psychology and sociology with the OU and found this again is a common occurrence. Men rarely admit to being depressed (or at least they didn't then) but their wives/partners can mirror their depression as it is more acceptable (IFYKWIM) for women to suffer. I think that is when I started to stop thinking of myself as depressed and got better. It sounds very simple but that is the gist of it. Things improved even more when my OH and I split up. I realised that I do have a tendency to take on responsibility for other people's problems and feel as if I have to fix things for them. I started to see a counsellor again because of eldest's problems (a mix of medical/mental health problems combined with long-term drug use). I had to do a lot of "fixing" at the beginning s she wasn't really capable, and there is very little NHS help available as she is not seen as a danger to herself or anyone else (I was actually told that by doctors) but realised that I had to start to back off for both of our sakes, so that is when I started to see a counsellor. It helps me offload things that would otherwise go round and round in my head but I feel now that it is time to move on. I know I have a tendency to be introspective and still feel responsible for everyone and everything at times but now I can recognise it and I have learned to give myself a bit of breathing space from people but I also know that I have to limit that withdrawal so I give myself a deadline and force myself out there again. Our minds are very complicated things and what works for me is knowledge of the condition as well as myself. It's not easy for those standing next to a sufferer and I wish you and your mum well.

Re lipsticks, I have decided to make do with what I have for now and look again in spring. Perfume - well I have a feeling I will end up with Pleasures again but I do still like it so no hardship.

Off to a craft club soon. It's just round the corner from where I live and I never knew it was there. I am teaching myself to knit socks.
  • sukeyboo
    sukeyboo Posts: 2,053 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Morning all & welcome LoLo :wave:

Had some sad news at the weekend - a long time family friend passed away - I have known him for over 30 years and my OH has know him all his life (over 55 years) - he was his unofficial 'Uncle'.

On the fabbing front - I have managed to keep up with the body oil & facial routine - put a face mask on the other night while I was soaking in the bath without pre-warning my OH - it was bright turquoise and I think I frightened thew life out of him when he saw me :eek:

Have my Decleor salon facial booked for next Wednesday - it is 75 minutes long and includes a 'diagnostic back massage' so I should come out of there feeling well & truly pampered :)

Managed to do my Rosemary Conley DVD 3 times last week and the Pilates one arrived today so I will try that this week - I am hoping it will help with my poor posture :o

With regard to lipsticks - I am not much of a wearer - I tend to use the Christian Dior Lipglow which I find keeps my lips in very good condition - evening during the winter months - and just adds a hint of colour - it is a bit pricey but wearing it nearly every day it lasts me almost a year so good value for money :money:
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    I have a few Boots No 7 lipsticks. I needed a new foundation - went to the no 7 counter and they match your foundation with a little gadget against your face. They give you a card with all the lipsticks that go with that tone of skin. :D
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,571 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Sorry to hear your sad news sukey.:)

Great weightloss indie. You must be delighted.:T Please come back and tell us about 'Be the most fabulous you'. I like the sound of that.

I've fortunately avoided MH issues but I do understand the concept of others draining your confidence dreaming. Hope you enjoy your craft club. Other than extra dancing I've not signed up for anything yet. Perhaps I need to look more actively.

On the lipstick front, the colour I like best is a cheapo Rimmel coral one but it doesn't last. I have some more expensive ones but oddly enough the Estee Lauder one I've been using has a strange peppery smell to it. Fortunately, it's not noticeable when it's on just when applying. I have a few Clarins samples I must use and see how I get on with those.

I've done all my basic fabbing for today including a defuzz, footcream and face massage. I've got a facial booked for Wednesday. I need to get my nails done again, probably tomorrow. I'm going to stick with the shellac but have them cut quite short. My hair's getting to the stage that it needs cutting so I'll make an appointment for that too maybe next week as my stylist only works part time.

It's chilly here but the sun is doing it's best to poke through.:)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure