Help with superser heater please

Hi

I've just bought a second-hand superser minigold calor gas heater off ebay. It looks ok but is quite old and the radiants and reflector are very dusty and need a wipe down. The only trouble is that I can't work out how to get the fireguard grid off the front of the heater. Is there a way? Can I just yank it out (it seems to be very resistant to this!).

The woman I collected it from did say that she had taken the fireguard off to clean it but this was years ago and she couldn't remember how she did it!

I have googled and searched this forum but couldn't find an answer. I would be very grateful if anyone has any suggestions. I have tried with the narrow attachment for the hoover, but even that is too wide to fit through the fireguard gaps.
Aspire not to have more but to be more.
Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...

Comments

• shegar
    shegar Posts: 1,978 Forumite
    Hi well ive used those gas fires in the past and the guard do come off, lift the guard up and take the bottom piece of the guard out first, you will have to use quite a bit of strenght to get it out....

I really would be very careful using old second hand gas fires, it may have a leaky gas pipe do to perishing if it as not been used for a long time ,and could leak small amounts which you wouldnt be aware of until its too late. . :eek: Then you also have a problem with rust which means its not been used for a very long time ,I really wouldnt feel comfortable using that appliance in my home , if it were me I would dump it.I know the new ones are about £85 as my friend recently bought one ....
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    Hi, thanks for replying, I'll give it a go. (Flexes muscles :D)

I will do the soapy water test on the gas pipe outside in the yard as soon as we get some fine weather. And I have a carbon monoxide indicator thingy I can use. If it looks hookey, I'll either replace the parts or dump it. Thanks for the warning.
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills