Christmas Shoebox Appeals

Comments

• jamtart6
    jamtart6 Posts: 8,302 Forumite
    Just spotted that "play2day" has suggested that the retro sweet boxes might be a nice addition to a shoe box and the mum n dad of the family would be left with a handy box after the sweeties are eaten. Nice as well as shoebox appeals ask for sweets NOT chocolate.... thanks for that play2day, just thought id post it here too to keep it on this thread too :D

:ABeing Thrifty Gifty again this year:A

• DSS (12 & 13) did 2 shoe boxes each last christmas, their idea, they really enjoyed it and I think it made them think about others less fortunate.
    I have just mentioned to them the family idea and they are really enthusatic.
    They have come up with the idea of filling a box for a family each time they get a new pair of shoes or trainers. Not sure that we will have enough room, come the end of the year, as I just bought them new school shoes new footie boots and a pair of trainers each, so we have 6 boxes on the go at the moment. They have also given me the £2 for each box.
    I am so proud of them.
    CUT OFF DATE FOR XMAS 2008 1st NOV
    PB £17.87, Ipoints 3907, QUIDCO £217.94,
    SHOP&SCAN 1950, LITESPEED 1265,PINECONE £8,
    BOOTS £18.62, IPSOS 1190, VALUED OPINIONS £19.25,
    MISC SURVEYS CLICK THROUGH ACCS ETC £23,
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I always hijack any free Burger King/McD toys etc and pop them unopened in the boxes (make sure they are the ones that don't need batteries) and ask my friends for theres - an awful lot of teens order the kids meals cos of the price so I approach them and ask for them to ....
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • jamtart6
    The cracker toys were quite good.... some tape measures and marbles.... could go in as extras!

• shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    I love making up these shoe boxes each year. It also is a good example to our children to think of others so much less fortunate. It is so humbling to think of how much that little parcel will mean to them and how little to us and ours. Thanks for thinking to start this thread as so many more people could contribute to this and make so much difference. We certainly spend way to much on our own often ungrateful children.
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • jamtart6
    well, i was thinking of doing the oxfam/charity gift this year for all those friends who have put no thought whatsoever into getting me a smelly set (again)...this year, they all got an equally unthoughtful present back (so why do we bother?), so thought about doing a shoebox in their honour instead of getting them a gift that they will surely not appreciate!!

where do you get shoe boxes from? We get 1 possibly 2 per year....so dont think I can bank on that..will shoe shops give them to you?

• shop-to-drop
    shop-to-drop Posts: 4,340 Forumite
    jamtart6 wrote:
    well, i was thinking of doing the oxfam/charity gift this year for all those friends who have put no thought whatsoever into getting me a smelly set (again)...this year, they all got an equally unthoughtful present back (so why do we bother?), so thought about doing a shoebox in their honour instead of getting them a gift that they will surely not appreciate!!

where do you get shoe boxes from? We get 1 possibly 2 per year....so dont think I can bank on that..will shoe shops give them to you?

My local independent shoe shop is always glad to give me boxes as it costs them money for the council to take their waste. I also have three growing boys who get through lts of pairs of shoes.

Do you have a good idea for raising the £2 per box that you need to send for transportation costs?
    :j Trytryagain FLYLADY - SAYE £700 each month Premium Bonds £713 Mortgage Was £100,000@20/6/08 now zilch 21/4/15:beer: WTL - 52 (I'll do it 4 MUM)
  • Elljay_2
    Elljay_2 Posts: 606 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    where do you get shoe boxes from? We get 1 possibly 2 per year....so dont think I can bank on that..will shoe shops give them to you?[/QUOTE]

Clarks will give them to you if you ask. They gave me four in October when I asked and the girl told me they always gave to the shoebox appeals.
  • dawnybabes
    dawnybabes Posts: 2,565 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I ask for the shoe boxes during the summer cos the shops round here ration them after autumn as people ask for them so often !
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66 :j
  • play2day
    play2day Posts: 409 Forumite
    DSS (12 & 13) did 2 shoe boxes each last christmas, their idea, they really enjoyed it and I think it made them think about others less fortunate.
    I have just mentioned to them the family idea and they are really enthusatic.
    They have come up with the idea of filling a box for a family each time they get a new pair of shoes or trainers. Not sure that we will have enough room, come the end of the year, as I just bought them new school shoes new footie boots and a pair of trainers each, so we have 6 boxes on the go at the moment. They have also given me the £2 for each box.
    I am so proud of them.

So you should be! They sound like lovely caring and well adjusted kids. :T
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family