Is Tesco a takeover target?

Comments

• Glen_Clark
    Glen_Clark Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    kangoora wrote: »
    My local Tesco is always jam packed. Mind you, they haven't got much competition being the only decent sized supermarket in a 15 mile radius :p We've got an Aldi and a Lidl but they are both 3 aisle mini-supermarkets.

I would bet assessing each stores revenue and profitability will be pretty high on the new boss's radar. Expect to see a few store closures I would think over the next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if they stop opening 24 hours either, certainly on some stores - how many people go shopping at 2am in the morning? I think we've only shopped once past 11pm since they started and that was returning late from a holiday and I can count on the fingers of 1 hand how many times we've shopped past 9pm.

Problem with store closures is they may still be legally obliged to paying rent for years ahead. Like they are still paying £m salaries to Clarke & McIlwee
    24 hour opening is far cheaper because they only do it at stores that would still be staffed anyway for shelf filling, maintenance & cleaning, taking deliveries etc. Doesn't cost much extra to keep a checkout open
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • Minrich
    Minrich Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    Problem with store closures is they may still be legally obliged to paying rent for years ahead. Like they are still paying £m salaries to Clarke & McIlwee
    24 hour opening is far cheaper because they only do it at stores that would still be staffed anyway for shelf filling, maintenance & cleaning, taking deliveries etc. Doesn't cost much extra to keep a checkout open

Security would also be an issue if they were shut (How many Cigarettes do you think a big Tesco has in stock for example) and also Insurance companies would insist upon all sorts of increases in premiums and security measures .

I really do hope that Tesco sorts itself out , not only for a selfish reason but also for all the other businesses , staff and pensioners that could be effected .

Thousands of normal staff members hold shares in the company too and i would think that a switch to how sports Direct and John Lewis etc work (Rewarding their staff financially) would improve staffs enthusiasm and work ethic ? Yes they do have Shares in success but hardly that rewarding and gives some staff dramatically more than others .
  • Seabee42
    Seabee42 Posts: 448 Forumite
    I have mixed feelings about wishing them well after all they love saying look we have created all these jobs quietly forgetting all the jobs lost from the high street when they did so. A small market leader would be no bad thing and in fact maybe they can do a woolworths!
  • Glen_Clark
    edited 24 October 2014 at 3:56PM
    Seabee42 wrote: »
    I have mixed feelings about wishing them well after all they love saying look we have created all these jobs quietly forgetting all the jobs lost from the high street when they did so.

Its true that supermarkets have probably reduced the number of jobs because they are more efficient. But Tesco are one of the few FTSE 100 companies that still have a final salary pension scheme.

In any case I can remember what shopping was like before the big supermarkets. It was a miserable experience I can tell you. Far less choice, lower quality, took a lot longer, and cost a lot more money in real terms. Thats why customers vote for the supermarkets - with their feet.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
  • lejog2003
    lejog2003 Posts: 202 Forumite
    edited 24 October 2014 at 6:48PM
    Glen_Clark wrote: »
    can you post a link to where you got that 'information'?

No, because I didn't get the "information" (your quotes) from a web based source. The source for the number of planned regular customers was from Sainsbury's verbally while they were initially consulting with local residents. The figure was 500, commensurate with a town of 2000 households that already has 3 other similar shops. After realizing the degree of opposition to the application, they put the minimum in writing, not even submitting a retail impact assessment as requested by the council. So Sainsbury's refused to provide any document which could be linked to.

My figure for objectors was the four figure number that signed a petition against the development, of these 564 formally objected to the planning application vs 4 supporting and 3 neutral.

Total supermarket sales have been flat for the last 18months, a period in which total retail sales have grown by 5% in line with the economy. While the supermarkets still have 40% of the retail market, its a sector in which personally I wouldn't invest. In my view its had its day and will be in relative decline from now.

Edit. Especially since the current "winners" are either privately owned (Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose) or US owned (ASDA).
  • Minrich
    Minrich Posts: 635 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Supermarkets had their day do you mean or just Tesco ? I would like to see people cope without just Tesco . The logistics of just moving products from A - B makes the mind boggle let alone knowing what to put on the shelves .
  • melbury
    melbury Posts: 13,251 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Minrich wrote: »
    How much of Aldi and Lidls products are British ?
    Do they support local farmers and growers ?
    Where are their products from ?
    Is the "Buy British" campaign still running or is it now " Buy cheapest " ?

I have to say that I always buy a lot of veg (and some fruit) in Lidl because they seem to stock more British produce than the other supermarkets.

For example, today I bought a bag of Cox's apples (grown in Kent) for £1, 1kg carrots 59p, large swede 89p, purple sprouting broccoli £1 - all British.

Sorry to bore all of you fellas, just wanted to make the point that they do in fact have quite of lot of fresh home grown produce at very reasonable prices;)
    Stopped smoking 27/12/2007, but could start again at any time :eek:

• Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    lejog2003 wrote: »

Edit. Especially since the current "winners" are either privately owned (Aldi, Lidl, Waitrose) or US owned (ASDA).

Asda is facing potential mass legal action for equal pay. Seems af if many retailers are unwinding. Amazon's latest results suggest online retailing isn't all it's cracked up to be either.
  • Glen_Clark
    Those of us on this Savings and Investments forum are a small minority. Many people are suffering with stagnant or falling wages, whilst the cost of everything especially housing has gone bananas - over 5 million people, many of them employed with a so called 'job' are claiming Housing Benefit which has sent the public finances into a tailspin.
    Tesco is far more accurate barometer of the British Economy than Osborne's pre election fiddled 'Inflation' and 'Growth' statistics :(
  • Minrich wrote: »
    Supermarkets had their day do you mean or just Tesco ? I would like to see people cope without just Tesco . The logistics of just moving products from A - B makes the mind boggle let alone knowing what to put on the shelves .

I referred to the supermarket sector and I didn't say that any company would disappear overnight, just predicted that the current trend of flatlining supermarket sales in the context of growing total retail sales would continue - which on an investments forum is not good news.

Personally I'd find almost anything that Tesco could find to put on it shelves to replace the 500 (or whatever) varieties of processed factory farmed chicken breast meat to be an improvement!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure