Private car sale....now being taken to small claims court

Comments

• We had only had the zafira 6 months, we bought it from our neighbours but decided we didn't need a 7 seater after all.
    They asked a question about the timing chain and I said hang on I'll just ring him, he's a Mechanic so he will know. (That we as all I said about him) He answered the question that a new one had been put on...they were happy with the answer.
    I have the letter she sent with the vague engine diagnosis so will definitely take that with us.
    Bearing in mind she drove 30 miles home the fault occurred 2 days later, so unless the injector fault hadn't made itself identifiable before the sale then how we would know?
    It's just the whole court thing...maybe she won't turn up!!!
    Does that ever happen??
    I know she can't retract the claim now (she would still have to pay costs) so she might as well keep it going I suppose, in case she thinks we may give her the money back!
    It's been directed to our local court and we are just waiting for a date....unless the case doesn't make it to court as her statement was very badly written with no evidence or facts. Whereas my defence had a detailed description of events, photocopy of vauxhall recall checks and copy MOT and also a copy of the advert used on gumtree. I'm. Hoping that'd enough really.
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Just tell her you'll happily see her in court and to cease all correspondence. The polite foxtrot oscar.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I'd really try and get from her exactly what the fault is because not everything will make a car unroadworthy and thats really the only claim she can make if the car matches its description.

This page might help you with regards to ascertaining whether it was roadworthy or not: http://swercots-partners.org.uk/sites/default/files/rta_guidance%20for%20Businesses.pdf

And perhaps also this to give some indication of what may be considered as dangerous (and therefore, unroadworthy):
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/498457/Categorisation-of-defects.pdf
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • boo_star
    boo_star Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    I'd really try and get from her exactly what the fault is because not everything will make a car unroadworthy and thats really the only claim she can make if the car matches its description.

This page might help you with regards to ascertaining whether it was roadworthy or not: http://swercots-partners.org.uk/sites/default/files/rta_guidance%20for%20Businesses.pdf

And perhaps also this to give some indication of what may be considered as dangerous (and therefore, unroadworthy):
    https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/498457/Categorisation-of-defects.pdf

Why bother?

OP has tried to get it verified and hit a brick wall. The buyer will hit a similar brick wall if the case is put in front of a judge.
  • pmduk
    pmduk Posts: 10,655 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 16 March 2017 at 10:49AM

If it was a private sale, caveat emperor applies.

Nit picking, but, The phrase is actually "caveat emptor". Briefly it means "Let the buyer beware" a non-trade seller cannot be expected to know the product as well as a trade seller.
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Being a mechanic I can see the buyer thinking there may be a history of these "private car sales".

Something maybe telling her it's more than just a private sale. If there is a history of sales then it's not a private sale but a trade sale, that's a whole different ball game.
  • steampowered
    steampowered Posts: 6,176 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The requirement that the car must be "satisfactory quality" only applies where the seller is a business.

As this was a private sale, the law does not make any promise about the quality of the car. You should only be held responsible for any promises or assurance you gave the buyer. No matter how unroadworthy the car was.

However if you told the buyer that the car was roadworthy and it was not, then the buyer would have a claim.
  • unholyangel
    The requirement that the car must be "satisfactory quality" only applies where the seller is a business.

As this was a private sale, the law does not make any promise about the quality of the car. You should only be held responsible for any promises or assurance you gave the buyer. No matter how unroadworthy the car was.

However if you told the buyer that the car was roadworthy and it was not, then the buyer would have a claim.

That is incorrect I'm afraid. If you sell, offer to sell or expose for sale a vehicle that is unroadworthy, you are guilty of an offence unless you can prove (as a private seller....traders have additional obligations) that you sold it to be exported from the UK or that you had reasonable cause to believe it wouldnt be used on UK roads/wouldnt be used until brought into a lawful condition.

Its very much a case of assumed to be roadworthy unless stated otherwise.

However as I have said, only certain things make a car unroadworthy - such as the brakes, steering, tyres etc.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Isn't the benchmark basically ... if it would have failed an MOT it would be unroadworthy?

This still doesn't make a private seller liable though, unless they knew the car was unroadworthy at the time of sale, failed to inform the buyer and allowed the buyer to drive the vehicle away. If the seller didn't know, or couldn't have reasonably known, that the car was unroadworthy then no offence has been committed by the seller.
  • unholyangel
    edited 16 March 2017 at 2:39PM
    DoaM wrote: »
    Isn't the benchmark basically ... if it would have failed an MOT it would be unroadworthy?

This still doesn't make a private seller liable though, unless they knew the car was unroadworthy at the time of sale, failed to inform the buyer and allowed the buyer to drive the vehicle away. If the seller didn't know, or couldn't have reasonably known, that the car was unroadworthy then no offence has been committed by the seller.

No.
    (3)For the purposes of subsection (1) above a motor vehicle or trailer is in an unroadworthy condition if—

(a)it is in such a condition that the use of it on a road in that condition would be unlawful by virtue of any provision made by regulations under section 41 of this Act as respects—

(i)brakes, steering gear or tyres, or

(ii)the construction, weight or equipment of vehicles,. . .

F1(iii). . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[F2(b)it is in such a condition that its use on a road would involve a danger of injury to any person]

You can fail an MOT if your number plate bulb is out but I can't see how it would involve a danger of injury to anyone.

ETA: Also I don't believe the offence requires knowledge. The way the act is worded, if you sell/offer to sell/expose for sale an unroadworthy car, you've committed an offence but if YOU can prove you sold it for export/had reasonable cause to believe it wouldn't be driven on the roads etc, then you shall not be convicted of the offence.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure