PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Work done - no bill received

Hi all,

Had some work done on house I just bought. Been about a 1.5months since it was done... Not had a bill sent through yet?
I had to pester the life out of them to get updates on the work etc so don't feel the need to hassle them to pay them even though I've got the money sitting there...

Comments

• Not sure what advice you're looking for?
    They did the work, you know you need to pay for it. They might be slow at sending bills out but sooner or later they're going to realise you haven't paid and come after you for the money, you might as well contact them about it now rather than drag it out.
  • you might as well contact them about it now rather than drag it out.

Why? I wouldn't. Why waste their time chasing it? Just pay the bill when it arrives.
  • ReadingTim
    ReadingTim Posts: 3,970 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Well, as long as you don't spend it in the meantime, I wouldn't be too proactive about chasing.

But you still owe it to them and the lack of an immediate invoice doesn't alter this - you'd be surprised (or perhaps not) how many people seem to think otherwise...!
  • Did you get a written quote for the work?

Was is a small job (eg £25) or large (eg £163,459 extension)?

What, if anything, have you paid? How did you pay (please don't tell us cash so no VaT..).

Are you happy with the work done?
  • Davesnave
    Davesnave Posts: 34,741 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Perhaps you are now living in the country?

Where I live, out in the sticks, 6 weeks is no time to wait for a bill. After 3 months or so, one might begin to wonder, but I wouldn't be concerned till 6 months has gone by.

The longest I've waited for is 2 years. The bill finally arrived in the week before Christmas, but in fairness, I was told not to worry about paying it quickly if money was tight.

A friend has done better than me. She had some built-in cupboards made. The carpenter said he needed to construct the doors in his workshop, so she expected that might take a week or two. That was over 5 years ago. The carpenter passes-by regularly and waves from his van, but no doors or bill have materialised.
  • Where I am now I've heard tell that, in the past, bills were sometimes not presented for weeks, even months. I think there might be a bit of it going on somewhere occasionally still here...don't think the practice has entirely died out yet??

I've always been given bills by the tradespeople here promptly (though don't know if that's because it's felt there is always a risk with incomers that we will "move back whence we came"??).

So they present them promptly and I pay them promptly (which is one aspect at any rate that's the same as I'm used to).

Don't worry about it - just keep the money for it to one side - or shove a cheque for it through their door.
  • Gers
    Gers Posts: 12,007 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    The bill for some parts of the renovation of this place only arrived after two years! After six months I gave up chasing the chap and only mentioned it to him when we met in passing as he lives locally. Seems he’s known for this. Eventually the bill came and I paid promptly.

Think it’s a rural thing, though I still haven’t received the invoice for my new will made six months ago. Must chase that one!
  • G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    The contractor has 7 years to bill you. After that he can't (well, he can but you needn't pay).

Put the money aside and wait.

Or snd a cheque now.

Or ring/email him.

Up to you.
  • Contessa
    Contessa Posts: 1,131 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I knew someone who had a small building/repair firm in a rural-coastal area. He had a reputation as an honest and very competent builder with a solid and loyal customer base.

I remember him telling me that the "little old ladies" were the best customers-small jobs with little profit earned but they always paid immediately. Whereas rich incomers, local dignitaries and the MP were very, very slow to pay even though they could well afford to.

I've never forgotten this so always pay a small independent trader promptly as I know their margins are small.
  • glasgowdan
    glasgowdan Posts: 2,967 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If the bill may directly affect an individual paying their mortgage, get it sorted. If it is going to get lost in pre tax profits and finance departments...let them bloody chase for it!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure