Employer wants training but won't pay

Quick question...if an employer requires an employee to do training (for example, as part of the appraisal process), however the qualification is expensive and the employer won't pay towards it, is there any way an employer can force this to happen?

I am guessing a swift change of contract could make this qualification mandatory and therefore an employee is then in breach of the contract?

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    If the employer requires training to be done then yes, they should pay for it. But it's not clear that's what's happening here, it sounds more like there will be a requirement that employees have the appropriate training, in which case the employer can pay for it, the employee can pay for it to keep their job, or the employer can make the employee redundant (or sack them if they've worked there less than 2 years) and hire somebody else who is qualified.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    agrinnall wrote: »
    If the employer requires training to be done then yes, they should pay for it. But it's not clear that's what's happening here, it sounds more like there will be a requirement that employees have the appropriate training, in which case the employer can pay for it, the employee can pay for it to keep their job, or the employer can make the employee redundant (or sack them if they've worked there less than 2 years) and hire somebody else who is qualified.

To be clear, it's a case of it's not required, just desired at the moment. I have a contract that doesn't make it mandatory, at the moment. It's desired, but they won't pay for it essentially.

Pressure is put on to do it, many others in employment are putting their hands in their pockets (which makes it worse), but I don't want to.

My question is, can they make me do it by putting it in my appraisal or worse still changing my contract?
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,479 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    As you say, your situation isn't being helped by other employees paying for the training themselves. They can't force you to pay for the training, but as you have less than 2 years with them, they can simply terminate your contract.
    Personally, I'd be looking to get out.
  • I dunno, I reckon if I thought it would be useful to my career I'd at least be researching https://www.gov.uk/career-development-loans and similar sites (if there are any).

If, on the other hand, it's just a whim of the employer, then I agree, I'd be looking for another job.

PS If it's something like PRINCE2, be aware that
    - colleges will spam you like mad once you enquire and provide am email address (you might want to set up a special account)
    - you can negotiate like mad with them
    - make sure the fee includes the exam(!) and any textbooks you might need.

HTH - JM
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • Also consider that if the employer pays they could add a ‘payback clause’ to your contract
  • Quick question...if an employer requires an employee to do training (for example, as part of the appraisal process), however the qualification is expensive and the employer won't pay towards it, is there any way an employer can force this to happen?

I am guessing a swift change of contract could make this qualification mandatory and therefore an employee is then in breach of the contract?

If they want you to do the training, they have to pay for it, or you have to agree to pay for it - they can't make you.

And they can't change your contract without your agreement - it's a contract. They can make it mandatory for new employees, but not existing ones. Ergo, if they change the contract without your consent, you wouldn't be able to do your job and would probably have grounds for constructive dismissal.

They're trying it on to see if they can get employees to pay for it themselves. Smile sweetly, say how much you like working there but you can't afford the course and sit tight.
    Debt 1/1/17 - Credit Cards £17,280.23; overdrafts £3,777.24
    Debt 5/1/18 - Credit Cards £3,188; overdrafts £0
  • Sarastro wrote: »
    If they want you to do the training, they have to pay for it, or you have to agree to pay for it - they can't make you.

And they can't change your contract without your agreement - it's a contract. They can make it mandatory for new employees, but not existing ones. Ergo, if they change the contract without your consent, you wouldn't be able to do your job and would probably have grounds for constructive dismissal.

They're trying it on to see if they can get employees to pay for it themselves. Smile sweetly, say how much you like working there but you can't afford the course and sit tight.

And if you've been there less than 2 years, bearing in mind they can dismiss on a whim for any non-discriminatory reason?
    I was a board guide here for many years, but have now resigned. Amicably, but I think it reflects very poorly on MSE that I have not even received an acknowledgement of my resignation! Poor show, MSE.

This signature was changed on 6.4.22. This is an experiment to see if anyone from MSE picks up on this comment.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    TELLIT01 wrote: »
    As you say, your situation isn't being helped by other employees paying for the training themselves. They can't force you to pay for the training, but as you have less than 2 years with them, they can simply terminate your contract.
    Personally, I'd be looking to get out.

I have more than two years with them
  • IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Sarastro wrote: »

Whilst they cannot unilaterally change the contract, they can adjust the appraisal criteria so as to manage out non agreeable workers who suddenly fail to meet their targets.
  • NineDeuce
    NineDeuce Posts: 997 Forumite
    It depends a bit on what you agreed.

However, out of principle, I would get shot of a company that required me to do training out of my own pocket. Any decent company would see you as an investment, otherwise they are just milking you.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure