Solar Panel Guide Discussion

1252253254255256258»

Comments

• Thanks for reply I will check ofgem web site out.
  • Is there a switching site that will tell me which utility company will give me the best price for my electricity that I generate from my panels ? I'm currently with EDF & I've never had any problems but are they the best.
    As a supplier I find there pricing good, the most I've been able to save by swapping adds up to about £20 a year so I'm sticking with them.
  • ASavvyBuyer
    ASavvyBuyer Posts: 1,737 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    ShaunD wrote: »
    Is there a switching site that will tell me which utility company will give me the best price for my electricity that I generate from my panels ? I'm currently with EDF & I've never had any problems but are they the best.
    As a supplier I find there pricing good, the most I've been able to save by swapping adds up to about £20 a year so I'm sticking with them.

All the utility companies pay the same amount (according to your contract for FIT payment) so there is no benefit in changing which company you are signed up with (unless you have problems with them).

We are with EDF too for FIT and have not had any problems and they are very speedy at making the payments.

You can use any other company for your electric supply, without changing FIT company. We changed from EDF to E.on and then to Iresa to get the best value for our usage.
  • NigeWick
    NigeWick Posts: 2,714 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    All the utility companies pay the same amount (according to your contract for FIT payment) so there is no benefit in changing which company you are signed up with (unless you have problems with them).
    First Utility are taking two months from reading to payment. I am going with Ecotricity for my gas and electric and will see if I can get my FiT from them too. Unless someone can tell me they're even slower that FU.....
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
  • I have had panels since 2010 but my installer went out of business a couple of years ago.
    I have now been contacted, out of the blue, by a lady claiming to be "The Solar Centre" and she wants to send an engineer around to carry out a warranty service.
    I'm concerned this is a scam just to get me to spend money with them.
    Has anyone had similar calls or know anything about them?
    Many thanks.
  • zeupater
    zeupater Posts: 5,355 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    I have had panels since 2010 but my installer went out of business a couple of years ago.
    I have now been contacted, out of the blue, by a lady claiming to be "The Solar Centre" and she wants to send an engineer around to carry out a warranty service.
    Many thanks.
    Hi

Welcome to the forum ... :)

If you can, check your call history and search the web for who called from that number .... there seem to be plenty of similar calls reported, particularly from an 07468... number which have been annoying people for quite some time .... usual ploy seems to be to offer a free 'check-up' supposedly linked to some government scheme or other but require signatures & charge for a pro-active 'repair' of some kind or other ... If that's the case, from what I've read the callers don't seem to have much patience, often resulting in verbal abuse, so not much of a sense of humour or business acumen ...

Check the number & if they ring again simply ask for details of registered office address, qualifications, approved schemes, liability insurance, VAT registration number etc .... that usually separates the genuine businesses from the scammers ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    B)
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,592 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I have had panels since 2010 but my installer went out of business a couple of years ago.
    Many thanks.

There is no requirement for any warranty service on solar panels - they just work so unless you actually have a fault this is likely to be a scam.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Thanks for that feedback and for your welcome..
    The number came up as withheld so I couldn't check it.
    I was short of time today so I just put her on hold till later in the week.
    I'll feedback after that next call from her what I manage to find out.
    Thanks again.
    John
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family