PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Lots more Sneaky Ways to save the pennies

Comments

• milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I love the idea of using shampoo for laundry. I have lots of little bottles from staying at hotels. Thanks Mcc!
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • PipneyJane
    PipneyJane Posts: 4,060 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I love the idea of using shampoo for laundry. I have lots of little bottles from staying at hotels. Thanks Mcc!

Have you tried decanting them into a liquid soap dispenser and using them as shampoo or hand-wash? You get the best results decanting if you use a funnel, since it stops the neck of the recipient bottle getting glugged up and you can prop the bottle up to drain out the dregs.

I do this. On top of ones scrounged on my own travels, I acquired a bagful of hotel samples from a friend when she moved house: shampoo, body wash, conditioner and body lotion (the latter two need a bit of water to decant the dregs). Score! I wash my hair every day and one full liquid soap dispenser of shampoo will last me 2 months.
    "Be the type of woman that when you get out of bed in the morning, the devil says 'Oh crap. She's up.' "

2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge 66 coupons,
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    edited 9 April 2017 at 6:52PM
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    You are full of good tips Gem-gem!

I collect the Per Una pink ribbon but have never actually got round to using it :o

I have a pair of jeans that I have intentionally worn to death. There's just so much material it still seems wasteful to throw them away. I've been googling repurposing ideas and am hoping to persuade my mum to turn them into a couple of aprons for our LO.

Thank you. I love reading this thread and picking up lots of ideas.

Wow, aprons. My mum had made me a half apron the I can wear when I am doing housework or gardening (somewhere to put your secateurs).

I treated myself two dresses yesterday (20% off) for a wedding and a party that I will be attending over the next month. The bag that they came in had ribbon for handles. So l have cut them off and will be using these at Christmas. I have also folded neatly the tissue paper, which will be used to wrap presents and I have also cut the bag up. As I will use the green when making cards.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Gem-gem
    purpleybat wrote: »
    i thought of you with those trousers earlier today when I put on my multi-coloured gardening trousers :D I think they're more patch than trouser now but the extra pockets are sooo handy

What a good ideas, to use the material to make extra pockets.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • Gem-gem
    PipneyJane wrote: »
    Have you tried decanting them into a liquid soap dispenser and using them as shampoo or hand-wash? You get the best results decanting if you use a funnel, since it stops the neck of the recipient bottle getting glugged up and you can prop the bottle up to drain out the dregs.

I do this. On top of ones scrounged on my own travels, I acquired a bagful of hotel samples from a friend when she moved house: shampoo, body wash, conditioner and body lotion (the latter two need a bit of water to decant the dregs). Score! I wash my hair every day and one full liquid soap dispenser of shampoo will last me 2 months.

Have you used conditioner as hand wash?
    I have 1/2 container that we obtained last year, but it doesn't condition my hair. I have been using it to rub hair dye off my face.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Put leftover cake making stuff like sprinkles, cherries, choc chips, raisins or past best fruit (apples, bananas) into scones.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • sashanut
    sashanut Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    Put leftover cake making stuff like sprinkles, cherries, choc chips, raisins or past best fruit (apples, bananas) into scones.

What a good idea - also I bought a granola cereal which according to my DH had 'too much fruit' in it & he wouldn't eat it. Frustrated by the wasted milk-sodden fruit he left I began picking it out before giving it to him...then used that up in a batch of scones which he happily ate!

Having said that my DD's comment was - well buy cheap granola, there's hardly any fruit in that :rotfl:
    New start JAN15 - NOT BUYING IT 2015 :eek:. Long haul DFW #145 : 2011 DEBTBUSTING : £5500 OD GONE, £2000 OD - GONE £93,610.30 cc & loan debt - GONE 27.6.14 FINALLY DEBT & MORTGAGE FREE :happyhear
  • Upsidedown_Bear
    Upsidedown_Bear Posts: 18,264 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Please hit the :spam: button on the post by extraship
  • Gem-gem
    I have been making birthday cards, new home cards and an 18th birthday card today. (23 cards in total). All from old cards, bits of ribbons and bits and bobs that I have collected or made over the years. The only thing I have to buy (or my mum usually gives me as a present from santa is the cards and envelopes - which usually works out at no more than 20p per card).
    Made both wedding cards for friend and family member. Next to make is my Father's Day card.

I always plan a head so that I can use every opportunity to save on stamps. My family are used to me giving them their cards, month to eight weeks early, if I am not going to see them again until after their birthday. My family live all over the country so sometimes we combine two events together. For example: had all the family over for Mother's Day. Gave nieces and nephew's their Easter eggs at the same time.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
  • Gem-gem
    I cut my make up remover pads in two.

Hubby and I share the glasses wipes and we also clean our phone screens with them.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport