Free SAT KS1 websites

Comments

• phizzimum
    phizzimum Posts: 1,712
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    jumblejack wrote: »
    http://www.bigbrainz.com/

Free interactive game that is totally addictive and free. It is a Playstation 2 quality, multilevel and teaches kids the multiplication tables up to 12 effortlessly. It is suitable for all kids who can use the mouse... CHECK IT OUT!!!!!

finally got round to trying this game out today - and it's true, the kids loved it!
    weaving through the chaos...
  • consultjai wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I am looking for free websites that contain practice worksheets and workbooks that simulate SAT Key Stage 1. I came across many sites similar to KS1 curricullum but i am specifically looking for sites with SAT KS1 format. I have listed few websites below that i found. Kindly share if you have some.
    Thanks in advance.
    http://www.emaths.co.uk/KS1SAT.htm
    http://www.brightminds.co.uk/sats-englishks1.htm
    http://www.saintambrosebarlow.wigan.sch.uk/infant_spellings/infantspelling.htm

[threadbanner]box[/threadbanner]
    I know these would be useful sites anyway, but why are you bothering to simulate KS1 Sats? They are a largely internal measurement for the school and by the time your child leaves primary they will be long forgotten as they are already so discredited- as you can see it is too easy to teach to the test, but they do suck the joy from learning. KS3 tests have gone, and the primary tests should follow- this is the conclusion of a very recent review of primary schools, as well as that of most teachers and heads.
    It is a waste of time and effort to try to enhance your child's performance in the tests, particularly these KS1 ones. If a secondary school is setting based on KS2 sats then there is reason to put some effort in, ( though most secondaries supplement them with more reliable CAT testing in school) but otherwise imo you would be better reading with them some more, or making a cake. I know as a good parent you probably do all those things too, but KS1 Sats are a wicked waste of time :mad: and parents should not be feeling they have to supplement what happens in school to get a 'good grade' when their child is 7.:eek: Unless you are a KS1 teacher seeking to improve your figures?
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    I couldn't agree more McCallister.

I am personally always on the lookout for beneficial educational sites though as are loads of other MSEers. Always chuffed when someone starts a thread like this as I usually find a good gem of a site.
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • mcallister1
    mcallister1 Posts: 2,198 Forumite
    Thanks- I know myself how parents get into feeling gulity about not preparing kids for tests- and I know that there are lots of good sites on this thread. I think the only people to have benefitted from all the Sats tests are the educational publishers who must have made a fortune with revision guides which they would never have sold otherwise.
  • Thank you thank you great web sites real big help :j xxx
  • mikki-b
    mikki-b Posts: 61 Forumite
    My daughter does her KS1 SATs in a couple of weeks, so just so she wasn't phased by them I gave her a maths one to do. She just about managed 2C (despite being reasonably good at maths). I went through the questions with her then a week later gave her another to do and she got a very good 2A. Just goes to show how 'useful' they really are as an indicator of ability they really are.
  • Dubhe
    Dubhe Posts: 1 Newbie
    Try putting in a google search for Brightminds.co.uk. (I tried to put the link in but I'm a newbie so I wasn't allowed!).

It contains old SAT papers. We used them as practice at home so that the kids weren't scared by the formality of it at school. I work in a school so I see how upset some children get. :mad:
  • jumblejack
    jumblejack Posts: 6,599 Forumite
    Dubhe wrote: »
    Try putting in a google search for Brightminds.co.uk. (I tried to put the link in but I'm a newbie so I wasn't allowed!).

It contains old SAT papers. We used them as practice at home so that the kids weren't scared by the formality of it at school. I work in a school so I see how upset some children get. :mad:
    http://www.brightminds.co.uk/publish.asp?what=sats&page=1
    :A Every moment is a gift. That's why we call it the present.!:A
    Grocery Spend Weekly Challenge (Sat-Fri):£30.50/£40
  • asperger
    asperger Posts: 87 Forumite
    anyone got links for KS2 SATs
  • mikki-b wrote: »
    My daughter does her KS1 SATs in a couple of weeks, so just so she wasn't phased by them I gave her a maths one to do. She just about managed 2C (despite being reasonably good at maths). I went through the questions with her then a week later gave her another to do and she got a very good 2A. Just goes to show how 'useful' they really are as an indicator of ability they really are.

I am a teacher of KS1, and have been for the past 8 years. In my experience, the SATS are as waste of time. I have had children do really well on the tests just through pure guess work, especially with the reading. I had one girl achieve a 2C in reading, when in reality she was actually still working at a 1C/1B. Is that really a good indicator?

And as a person who is anti-sats, I found myself teaching to the tests, and (hangs head in shame) found myself saying to the children 'you need to know this for SATS!!' Hated hearing myself saying that.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure