netgear unsecured network

Options
lexi
lexi Posts: 267 Forumite
any ideas if this is ok? my brother has had a saga wiv toucan resulting in him buying a netgear router. strange then that his broadband was slowly working on a dial up? anyway all was sort of ok until 2 nights ago wen nothing! i went to sort it out & found under connections dial up & netgear which had excellent strength. i tried to connect & had to go to the isp addo netgear provided. only prob is netgear sez its an unsecured network! my brother had to put in his email & password for toucan to connect thru netgear so.........1 is this legal & ok as he does have a netgear router? 2 is the netgear connection ok as he has put in his own password via toucan or does he have to change the password wen signing in on the netgear isp? i really dont want my brother to get into trouble or have sum1 use his connection to download dodgy stuff as he is a bit of a techie noob.ironically the speed is much quicker & the teething probs he was having have now gone! any help is appreciated

Comments

• Fonz_2
    Fonz_2 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    I can't quite work out if:

a) Your brother is connecting to someone else's unsecured network

or

b) Your brothers network is unsecured?
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Are you saying your brother is connecting to his netgear router which isnt secure
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • Conor_3
    Conor_3 Posts: 6,944 Forumite
    Options
    lexi wrote: »
    any ideas if this is ok? my brother has had a saga wiv toucan resulting in him buying a netgear router. strange then that his broadband was slowly working on a dial up? anyway all was sort of ok until 2 nights ago wen nothing! i went to sort it out & found under connections dial up & netgear which had excellent strength. i tried to connect & had to go to the isp addo netgear provided. only prob is netgear sez its an unsecured network! my brother had to put in his email & password for toucan to connect thru netgear so.........1 is this legal & ok as he does have a netgear router? 2 is the netgear connection ok as he has put in his own password via toucan or does he have to change the password wen signing in on the netgear isp? i really dont want my brother to get into trouble or have sum1 use his connection to download dodgy stuff as he is a bit of a techie noob.ironically the speed is much quicker & the teething probs he was having have now gone! any help is appreciated

Could you repost that in English please? I'm sorry but I don't speak "Chav" and Altavistas Babel doesn't do Chav to English translations.
  • Fonz_2
    Fonz_2 Posts: 393 Forumite
    Options
    CLLC wrote: »
    I tell you what, Around my area anyone on netgear comes up as an unsecured network but i don't know why?

So i think your brothers one is an unsecure network and may let people use his wi-fi. I myself have never tried signing on to one of the net-gear unsecured networks so i don't know if they ask for a password or something?

Hope this helps :)

'Netgear' is the default SSID name which would indicate the owner hasnt taken the time to configure the basic router settings, and more likely than not, the security settings.

Yes you'll probably be able to connect to these without a password, it's unlikely you'll get caught but be aware if you do get caught it is punishable by a prison sentence.
  • del1001
    del1001 Posts: 229 Forumite
    Options
    CLLC wrote: »
    I tell you what, Around my area anyone on netgear comes up as an unsecured network but i don't know why?

Basically because they are to lazy or ignorant to change the settings in their router, it really isn't difficult to do, the setup wizard takes you through the whole process.
  • lexi
    Options
    right ok, my brother is on toucan broadband. loads of probs with thomson speedtouch so they advised hi mto get a router. he did netgear. was ok for 2-3 weeks then nothing, so checked it & got him online with netgear - unsecured network. we used the wizard set up- we did put in a password- the toucan email one which was accepted by netgear but it is definately on unsecured network. it isnt case of being lazy - we dont know that swhy we came on here. btw the connection has gone again thats why i tried the netgear could the router be the possible fault?
  • asininity
    asininity Posts: 1,615 Forumite
    Options
    Is your brother connecting wirelessly or is he connected to the router with a wire?
  • superscaper
    superscaper Posts: 13,369 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    lexi wrote: »
    right ok, my brother is on toucan broadband. loads of probs with thomson speedtouch so they advised hi mto get a router. he did netgear. was ok for 2-3 weeks then nothing, so checked it & got him online with netgear - unsecured network. we used the wizard set up- we did put in a password- the toucan email one which was accepted by netgear but it is definately on unsecured network. it isnt case of being lazy - we dont know that swhy we came on here. btw the connection has gone again thats why i tried the netgear could the router be the possible fault?

What type of encryption are you using? Is the password you're talking about for logging into the router, the ISP's password or for the wireless connection of the router?

It seems it's not just me but your posts are incredibly difficult to read (i.e. grammar and punctuation). Doesn't have to be perfect but I'm finding it difficult to understand it.
    "She is quite the oddball. Did you notice how she didn't even get excited when she saw this original ZX-81?"
    Moss
  • C_Ronaldo
    C_Ronaldo Posts: 4,732 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    lexi it might be easy if you bullet point it
    No Links in Signature by site rules - MSE Forum Team 2
  • lexi
    Options
    ok sorry i am as much use as my brother!
    * he has sony laptop
    * he has toucan broadband
    * he had speedtouch modem - no good so got netgear router
    * was fine then came off with no warning
    * connected him through netgear
    * but this is unsecured network
    * we had to put his toucan broadband email & password to connect
    * still says unsecured network
    * it cut off again with no warning
    * typed in netgear default settings to get back online.
    * am worried we are doing something wrong as he isnt using toucan 'dial up' broadband
    * can we change settings so network is secured.
    hope this helps. i dont know why the thing keeps going wrong. if any help or suggestions trust me we would be very grateful
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure