TNC Group lease car debt

Hello

Last week I received a letter from a company called the TNC Group. They were chasing a debt from a lease car I had when I worked for the NHS in 2011. They are chasing a debt for £2700. I sent them a "prove" it letter and they have supplied a statement that was sent to an address I no longer lived at in 2012 all the statement states is that I owe £2700, there is no breakdown of how the debt was accrued, as the car was on a salary sacrifice scheme I don't see how it could be a debt.
I was let go from the role and handed the car back in 2012.
5 Years later they are threatening a CCJ. Should I challenge or just call this debt collections company's bluff and ignore?

Comments

• National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Cmayfield83,

This is an odd situation and you will have a few choices but unfortunately, in a situation like this all of your rights (including termination rights of the agreement) will be in the terms and conditions of the lease. I appreciate that you may no longer have that and that you have asked the creditor for more details. The trouble with the "prove it" letter in this situation is the debt collector has given you a breakdown of what is owed, but not why. If you want more details now I think you are going to have to make a Subject Access Request (SAR).

A SAR will cost £10 and they have 40 days to comply. You can ask for more details regarding the original agreement, money paid to date, termination details etc. You may find that money could still be owed depending on the termination details of the agreement.

The risk if you ignore it is that they still have approx. 12months to sue under limitations and if they do start court action and you wish to argue this in court it may cost you money to get legal advice. Good luck,

Laura
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,730
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    Agree with Laura that only a subject access request will get you the full information you are looking for.

Could be some outstanding charge you were not aware of, that they are chasing.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Hello

I have contacted them and offered to pay £20 a month back as that is all I can afford but they are saying that isn't enough. I am worried I could end up with a CCJ. Can they apply for a CCJ if I have offered repayments.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,730
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    edited 5 August 2016 at 10:14AM
    Hello

I have contacted them and offered to pay £20 a month back as that is all I can afford but they are saying that isn't enough. I am worried I could end up with a CCJ. Can they apply for a CCJ if I have offered repayments.

They can start a court claim when ever it suites them.

What is it that worries you about a CCJ ?

Would it affect you or your work in some way ?

A court claim is nothing to be afraid of, if £20 a month is all you can afford, then that's what the court would ask you to pay, as long as you filled in all the acknowledgement of service forms ok, you would not normally be expected to appear in person, its all done by post and online.
    Court action is often used as a threat, but less than 10% of cases actually end up there.

Just persist with your offer, even start paying them, they cant have what you haven't got, you have no control over what this company will or wont do, so worrying about it is pointless.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • My worry is that we have a mortgage and it will affect our chances of getting a better rate.

I have worked hard over the last 5 years to clear debts and I am on a fairly high interest rate mortgage as I have a satisfied CCJ that will drop off next year. When that drops off we were hoping to be able to get a better mortgage rate. If they take out a CCJ then I will be back to square one with my credit file.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure