PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

Question about property asking price

Comments

• Thanks everyone. I'm in a very small town, not exactly a wealthy area but happy with the area nonetheless. Its very much needing fixed up. The bathroom is horrid and the kitchen is like something from the 70s. I'm prepared to move in and work on it bit by bit though.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Please do tell us where you can buy a mortgagable property for £40K

Even up here, a wreck needing total rebuild will cost you more.
  • ProDave, I'm up in the southwest of Scotland. Cheap up here in the small villages!
  • davidmcn
    davidmcn Posts: 23,596 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    If you're in Scotland, aren't you looking at the Home Report before bothering to view? If so then what was the valuation for this property?
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,028 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    Our house was offers over 152,500.

Seller advised they were looking for 1755,00

Our solicitor said he would offer 152,500- this was refused but they said they would accept 155,000.
  • ProDave
    ProDave Posts: 3,706 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    jackridge wrote: »
    ProDave, I'm up in the southwest of Scotland. Cheap up here in the small villages!
    Wow there are some cheap properties there. I just looked at a 1 bed flat advertised for OO £15K, and £15K under home report value, so the HR value must have been £30K

Be aware some of those cheap properties have very poor EPC ratings. e.g E or F and you can no longer let such a poor property. these are no doubt being offloaded by landlords unable to continue letting them.

The Home report value is what they will be hoping for, advertising it lower is to try and get interest.
  • Marvel1
    Marvel1 Posts: 7,171 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    It's certainly annoying and time wasting, why not just advertise offers over £40K an over!!
  • cr1mson
    cr1mson Posts: 883 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    If you are in Scotland it is quite common for properties to go well above their asking price and often their Home Report value in some areas. A local solicitor can usually advise.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    ukcarper wrote: »
    What's the relevance of that.

The clue is in the OP.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income