PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2017 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Comments

• minnie2
    minnie2 Posts: 513 Forumite
    Catshark i couldnt find the audio version of that.where did you find it?
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 8 October 2017 at 3:21PM
    I am glad to see that there are others beavering away, Minnie, small children, so innocent and starightforward :)

I am very hot now and tired, last week I honestly thought I had finished but it was that reality of smaller square footage, sparked me into life again. I won`t be compromising on the garden though.

Utility first today, filled two black bags easily and spaced everything else out on the built in shelves, used three of those collapsing grey baskets as well as free standing stuff. Took husbands slatted shelves off the wall and also the high purpose made hangers for coat hangers as it is a fantastic drying room but I did have a tonne of sports clothing to wash then. The green first aid box has gone off the wall and all screws and rawlplugs are out of the wall. Went to tip at that point

Decided then that my hall looked too dark but why as it is a light place? Doh, the large dark wall hanging from peru, took it down and the pole and it was a miracle. One thing led to another, more unscrewing, more moving out, this time a chunky grey freestanding coat hanger. Ordered a very expensive and lovely light oak and white japanese designer scandi-style freestanding coat rack, that white wall needed something. This new rack will fit in with all my best living room furniture, for ever and I am not thinking of the cost, not been on a holiday and it is cheaper than that

14 holes in the wall are now filled, sanded and painted. The wall hangings languishing in my ottoman will be re-used, even if only in a log cabin

Quick update e mail sent to offspring, I keep them updated. I asked them not to buy ornaments or toiletries for christmas. I had hanging ornaments from one dd and her dd, love to grandma etc etc and a mums love etc but I would rather she phoned, she never does, only an e mail now and then but very lovey dovey. Grhhh, she went to pieces when her dad died, treated him the same way, you would think she had learnt. The other two are always in touch. I do ring her but she never answers. Those two ornaments are going to cs in a couple of weeks, she won`t know. She hardly ever visits, no time, getting food ready for the week, seeing to horses blah blah
  • Kittie - You are very organised :T I was thinking of wrapping the Christmas presents I have bought too, but have run out of time due to getting ready to move, so have packed them all into boxes and will wrap when we have moved in. I love getting things like that done early and then smiling to myself when everyone else around me starts panicking a few weeks before the big day :rotfl:

Well, I had big plans to completely empty the garage yesterday of anything we're not taking to the new house, but it turned out to be a much bigger job than I thought. We did take a car-load of stuff to the tip though, so we've made a good start.

Brought a set of drawers that were relegated to the garage because we don't really have room for them back into the house and gave them a good clean. They will be perfect for storing stationery etc and putting the printer on top of at the new house, so I'm really glad I kept them.

Hopefully, we'll be able to finish sorting the garage out next weekend. We did spend the afternoon yesterday flat-packing furniture in the spare room and packing things in there that we won't urgently need before the move too, so there's room in there now to store those drawers and more boxes as we pack more nearer to moving day.

We've spent this afternoon kondoing store cupboard ingredients into shortbread and sunshine bread (fruit bread recipe by Jack Munroe) :D The shortbread didn't turn out right because we messed up the oven temperature so it's a bit dark, but it still tastes nice, so who cares :)

Hope everyone's had a fab weekend!
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here :)
  • Knit_Witch
    Knit_Witch Posts: 4,436 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    short_bird wrote: »
    Ironing board used for 2 things: when I have the sewing machine out and when I need an extra sorting surface... :rotfl:

Oh good! someone else uses it for putting the sewing machine on (or do you press your sewing as you go?)
    Must use my stash up!
  • short_bird
    short_bird Posts: 3,671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Knit_Witch wrote: »
    Oh good! someone else uses it for putting the sewing machine on (or do you press your sewing as you go?)

Pressing as I go!
    I think the ironing board would rock a bit with the machine on it... :rotfl:
    Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    short_bird wrote: »
    Pressing as I go!
    I think the ironing board would rock a bit with the machine on it... :rotfl:
    :eek: I'd hate to have my sewing machine on my rather rickety ironing board - I could see a very expensive repair bill incoming as it hit the deck.

Actually, my ironing board is perfectly sound as long as you don't try moving it, once unfolded, without holding the lever bit. If you don't, it collapses like a party girl at the races.

Parental units have just left and taken three of the 'new' towels with them. I bought them in a chazzer on Saturday afternoon, home and straight into the washer for a 90 degree wash, dried overnight and the folks have three and I have five of the smaller ones, one of which is now in the bathroom. Pretty pleased.

Dad (not a skilled consumer) looked at one and said they come from Firstname Surname as he read off the name tape. We gently explained that this was the previous owner's name not some giant of retail.:p

:D I realied that, despite having lived in my own household for north of thirty years, I have never in my life found it necessary to buy a new towel from a shop.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • catshark88
    catshark88 Posts: 1,099 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    minnie2 wrote: »
    Catshark i couldnt find the audio version of that.where did you find it?

It's on Amazon, though I bought it through Audible. You have to select the "show all formats" button to get to the audiobook. :)
    "Have nothing in your houses that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful." William Morris
  • minnie2
    Ah thank you! ! I listened to her first on you tube
    Frugal living challenge - need to revisit its been.a while !! Need to reduce our debts!!
  • minnie2
    Is there much more new content? Worth the buy?
  • minnie2
    Planning my attack tomorrow kids and.hubby will be here though so it does need planning.daughters toys need sorting and i think the conservatory aka dumping gorund and laundry room is next.i want to use it as somewhere to place all my boxed stuff that needs to leave the house.hopefully itll be easier to pick certian things out to put in my car to dispose of :-) i did do the kitchen but it is a bit of a mess again so think i may need to address that again too.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure