Taxi Fare charges from App

Options
I ordered a taxi on a local taxi app and accidentally put the collect address as to what should have been the drop off address so wasn't there for the pick up. The taxi firm have now automatically taken money from my account (as my card was linked as payment on the app).

Are taxi firms allowed to do this even though they did not actually collect me? If I had selected pay with cash they wouldn't have been able to charge?

Any suggestions?

Comments

• KeithP
    KeithP Posts: 37,638 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    i9046420 wrote: »
    I ordered a taxi on a local taxi app and accidentally put the collect address as to what should have been the drop off address so wasn't there for the pick up. The taxi firm have now automatically taken money from my account (as my card was linked as payment on the app).

Are taxi firms allowed to do this even though they did not actually collect me? If I had selected pay with cash they wouldn't have been able to charge?

Any suggestions?
    You booked a taxi to go to an address and the passenger wasn't there.
    Do you really think that you should not pay for that wasted journey?

Yes, if you had opted to pay cash that would've certainly made it more difficult for the driver to get the money owed, but there is no doubt in my mind that you still owed it.

Having said that, presumably the driver did not have to travel to the other place mentioned, so there might be an argument that not all the fare was owed.
  • jon81uk
    jon81uk Posts: 3,773 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Check the terms of the booking you made, but I would expect some kind of cancellation charge to apply in this case. You made a booking and the driver arrived to the booked location.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure