Credit Card Shuffle Discussion area

Options

Comments

• uberzoldat
    Options
    I rang MBNA yesterday, to ask them to reduce my interest rate from 34.95% :eek:
    They said "Sorry, but we can't drop your interest rate, that's the lowest rate we can do for you"

What a bargain! :confused: Worth a try though.
    Sometimes I feel like a pelican. Whichever way I turn, I've still got an enormous bill in front of me.
  • Piglet_1
    Options
    Hi!
    I have a & More mastercard which has a balance of £3,440 on it. My partner uses an MBNA card whuch is in my name and has a debt of about £ 3,480 on that. She normally has no problem paying off the minimum amount but the interest has almost doubled since last month which is a bit of a bummer. We are thinking of transferring her debt to another card but are not sure whether we should go for a low interest account or a 0% balance transfer or try for one which has a lowish interest rate and is also 0% balance. I'm not really up with these things and don't feel confident enough to do the credit card shuffle. Any ideas please?
  • Llewy
    Llewy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Hi all

I have £14,300 on Egg at 17.9%. I also have a MBNA card with a promotional rate of 0.9% for Balance transers with a 5% transfer fee. This promotion expires in August 09 and it is now 12th February 2009. I have no intention of ever using the MBNA card again and havent for 9 months. I have a £11,000 credit limit on the MBNA card so could transfer up to 90% (£9,900) of the credit limit to the MBNA card. There is currently a zero balance on the MBNA. I am confident of being able to transfer it back to the Egg card by August for whatever prevailing Balance transfer rate Egg may have at the time. In terms of savings is it worth paying the £495.00 fee to put my debt with MBNA till August and then pay a further fee, of probably 2% to put it back on the Egg?

I cant get my head around the maths so would be grateful some assistance!

thanks
  • sarahs999
    sarahs999 Posts: 3,751 Forumite
    Options
    llewy - my first thought is whether you will clear the leftover £4,400 from Egg from now til August? Otherwise when you BT back in August (what makes you think Egg will have a promotional offer in August, by the way?) you will end up with money trapped behind the BT at the original rate of 17.9%
  • Llewy
    Llewy Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thanks for your responses Sarah. The full picture and my intentions are as follows:

Current balances:

EGG: Credit limit (CL): £15,000; Balance (BL): £14,300; Rate (R): 17.9% and going up to 21% in March.

MBNA: (CL): £10,800 (BL): £0 (R): 0% till Sepember 09 Promo: 0.9% till August 2009 Transfer Fee: 5%

Barclaycard: Credit limit: £4,800: Balance: £1058.35 Rate: 14.9% Promo: 0% till Feb 2010

My intentions are:

Transfer Barclaycard balance, £1058.35. to MBNA
    Transfer £4032 from Egg to Barclaycard ((90% of Barclaycard credit limit) at 2.5% fee
    Transfer £9,800 from Egg to MBNA at (whopping) 5% Fee

The remaining cash on egg, £469, will be paid by August. I have no idea whether there will be a promo offer from Egg in August, however I know that my current rate on Egg is 17.9 going up to 21% in March so it makes sense to move it. What Im struggling to ascertain is whether the very high 5% fees to move money to MBNA would make this whole excersise cost effective given the short length of time (6 months) of the offer. My mind is in a whirl and I'm struggling to grasp whats best here...! You raised a solid point Sarah and wonder what your opinion is now you have the full picture. PS: MBNA reverts to 23% after the offer. I called them and asked whether this can be reduced and they said they would review in 3 months. Literally translated this means 'not whilst we have you by the b*lls!' Egg will be at 21% by this time so will be a better option.

Help!
  • feelin_skint
    Options
    I really can't believe how easy it was to negotiate a new rate on my Halifax card, one simple call and the rate has come down from 17.95% to 13.9% - Still not great but considering that I have a poor credit rating and have fallen behind on payments on this card in the past I am pretty damn happy.

NOTE - DO NOT ACCEPT THE 1st OFFER SAY THAT YOU ARE PLANNING TO TAKE A NEW CARD OUT ELSEWHERE AND THEY SHOULD MAKE YOU A SECOND OFFER.

All I need to do now is try the Egg card, unfortunately I have cut the card up so don't have the account number (I am sure I will find it, especially if their is money to be saved.)
  • jdg199
    Options
    Surely the walkthrough of the shuffle doesn't quite add up because it doesn't factor in the BT fee. Which clearly significantly reduces the benefit?!

Me:
    Virgin - £4500 @ 16.6% (from May), Limit £7400, BT rate 15.9% with 2.98% fee
    HSBC - £2300 @ 17.9%, £5000 limit, BT rate 19.9%, 2.9% fee
    Abbey - £2000 @ 18.9%, £6400 limit, BT rate 18.9%, no fee

HSBC overdraft, avg £1000 per month, 19.9%

I am always making at least minimum payments, but seeing as i am not going to be paying off these balances anytime soon was considering rate for life from MBNA or the Capital one, no fee low rate. Is that the right thing to do?!
  • officelad
    Options
    I called Natwest today, been with them for a few years now but have just over 6K on the account. My interest rate is just over 25% !!!! Well I have stopped using the card and have been trying to pay it off. All I can afford is the min payment so each month I pay around £160 but only clear around £10....So like I say I called them today to ask them if they would look at giving me a lower int rate. The answer....NO.....They would not even look in to it. They say the int is set at a rate and can not be changed. Ask them why other companies look and see if they can help but not them...the reply I got was they just dont and they are unable to change the rate. So I'm stuck with 25% int, cant get a new card as I have tried. I have a loan with Tesco and they said to call back next month and they might be able to re look at that and give me some extra money so fingers crossed. Just feel like I am stuck in a rut.
  • miss_morph
    Options
    Hi
    does anyone know of a online calcuator that will take into account bt rates of transferring. my situation...(on credit card, not taking into account my personal loan, money owed to relatives etc)
    I owe Lloyds - £800 @ 14.8%
    have opportunity to transfer to my back-up card 'mint' at 3.9% (6 months) @ 3% BT fee. how can i work out what will be cheaper...
    thanks
    sarah
  • Moggles_2
    Moggles_2 Posts: 6,097 Forumite
    Options
    miss_morph wrote: »
    Does anyone know of an online calcuator that will take into account bt rates of transferring? my situation ... I owe Lloyds £800 at 14.8% Have opportunity to transfer to my back-up card Mint at 3.9% (6 months), 3% BT fee. How can I work out what will be cheaper?

Why not plug some numbers into this credit card calculator?

http://www.whatsthecost.com/creditcard.aspx

You can then estimate the time it would take to clear the balance when charged at different interest rates. You can also see the effect of increasing your payments by a few pounds ;)
    People who don't know their rights, don't actually have those rights.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure