PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Wowing my Foodie Friends for Dinner?

am having a couple of eco-minded foodie friends over this w/e for my first supper with them and am not too sure how to go about it. usually, i don't budget for a dinner party as i think my guests are deserving of good quality ingredients. as it's been a couple of months since i last thrown a dinner party for guests who weren't foodies (and the food was literally wasted on them:eek:) i vowed never to cook for them again. these friends who are coming for supper, one of them has an onion allergy (not the other alliums tho' so that's useful). i think they like eating a lot of thai/malay meals and some morrocan. so i'm thinking along the lines of japanese or korean food (like sushi and a root veg and chicken chilli paste dish - don't know the name of this). what do you think?

my store cupboard is really extensively stocked -

mustards - jars and dried
dried pulses
flours
spices
herbs
oils
condiments
chinese ingred (beancurd - all types)

btw, i shan't be making a dessert as they aren't that bothered about them.

there are other dishes i could make that are tried-and-tested but i wouldn't mind have something inspiring to make. we all of a like-mind as we love gardening and living in a lifestyle that is sustainable. i have lots of kale, squash and a shark's fin melon from the lotti to use up.

has anyone got anything with gorgeous tasty recipe that would wow my foodie friends?

Comments

• well i have one that my mum has used for years and is a firm fave,

called Bulgogi

you take thinly sliced beef or pork (i prefer beef myself)

Marinade
    about 4 tbsp soy sauce
    2tsp sesame seeds
    about a tsp finely chopped garlic
    a little oil

Garnish
    normally spring onions but you could subsitute chives, just enough to get the colour thro it

i mix the marinade ingrediants together and let the meat soak up the flavours for at least an hour or two

i tend to dry fry it in small batches then serve with sticky rice (mainly as i stir mine so it breaks down the starch and becomes sticky!) and if i've got time some kimchi i tend to buy this tho,
    Nonny mouse and Proud!!
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level then beat you with experience
    !!
    Debtfightingdivaextraordinaire!!!!
    Amor et metus. Lac? Sugar? Quisque massa vel duo? (stolen from a lovely forumite!)

• sarahemmm
    sarahemmm Posts: 116
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    How about kibbeh? They are Lebanese/eastern Mediterranean, made with bulgur wheat and (raw) meat, or can be made with mushrooms or other veg. There are a number of recipes on food.com - some more fiddly than others. You might like this one:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/wheat-balls-with-tomatoes-vegan-meatballs-aka-kibbeh-heelah-239679

If you are prepared to buy preserved lemons (you can make them, but they take at least three weeks) and like the idea of salmon, this is an amazing recipe:
    http://www.food.com/recipe/preserved-lemon-salmon-and-caper-salad-95451

Or a vegetable terrine always looks fantastic: three layers of different coloured veg put into a loaf tin and baked. Loads of recipes all over the place.

You can be creative with potatoes too - rosti, Pommes Anna, Hasselback potatoes are all unusual and delish. And I love cabbage cooked with caraway seed, though it needs to go with a good solid main dish. http://www.food.com/recipe/cabbage-with-caraway-408056 (disclaimer - its my mother's recipe).

Hope you have a good time!
  • squeaky
    squeaky Posts: 14,129
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = £5.20 Apr £0.50
  • in the end, i went for an diy assembly process sweet potato noodle soup dish (trad chinese) with spicy sauce, meat, veg, soya beans, tofu, coriander, spring onion. all v hands-on and it went really well. it was quite time-consuming to make (plus i went for a dessert, coz i couldn't think of a suitable starter) but nonetheless, v tasty and filling.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure