credit file headache part 2

so having viewed my credit report on noddle, Equifax, and Experian (I think that covers it) it seems the only 'open' accounts are both with Natwest, one loan and one overdraft, both for around 20k each, everything else seems to be settled with correct dates, or thereabouts

These (Natwest) both went into my BR (obviously) and I was discharged 3 months ago (hence the clean up operation now)- both have default dates before my BR date, so tick there-

question is; is there any point wasting time getting these updated and satisfied given the default dates are correct and they will drop away before my BR does on my credit reports, or is there a valid reason to get these updated and marked as settled?

Again, as always, thanks in advance-Gaz hope you are out there!

Comments

• From my experience it's really up to you and how soon do you want to think about applying for more finance, settled/satisfied always shows better than a default., even if your BR still shows.
    By chasing it up you get them to update their records so it may stop them going to a debt collector when they sell a tranche of debt and you having to go through the process of telling them they were included in your BR.
  • For the small amount of expense that is sending a letter to get these files amended, I would do it. I did mine around a year ago after discharge, as I wanted to actively rebuild my history rather than just wait for the record to drop off. It has allowed me to get a credit card that I pay off in full each month, and this is starting to have a positive impact on my record.
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
  • thanks for this, kinda leads me on to my next question, is there any reason I need to do it now? (discharged 3 months ago)- i can see no situation in the next few years where i will be applying for a mortgage, i have successfully acquired a vanquish and cap 1 card to help re-build-so can i wait a while or should i be jumping on this straightaway?
  • I would do it now and get it out of the way - after all it's one letter and a stamp!

My experience with Natwest (albeit on a business debt rather than a consumer debt), was that they sent the debt to a DCA 12-18 months after bankruptcy. When I informed the DCA of the debt, Natwest promptly sent the details to another DCA!
  • ok great thanks, quick final question, is all the info on the sticky still correct?-I note it was posted in 2008
  • A quick check on the ICO site shows that the wording is still used for bankruptcy debts, so it looks as though nothing has changed.

https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/bankruptcy/
  • I Am post BR and discharged 4.5 years ago. We are desperately saving for a mortgage. On checking my credit file it is still poor. I now have a car on finance and a credit card- all paid on time etc. First question what does everyone mean by " clean up your file" and secondly how long does it take to move the credit score up?
    Many thanks
  • Kelb0708 wrote: »
    I Am post BR and discharged 4.5 years ago. We are desperately saving for a mortgage. On checking my credit file it is still poor. I now have a car on finance and a credit card- all paid on time etc. First question what does everyone mean by " clean up your file" and secondly how long does it take to move the credit score up?
    Many thanks
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=677875
    Save £12k in 2024 #29
    January take lunch to work goal - 13 of 19
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business