PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

North London house buying areas advice

13»

Comments

• I've lived in East London, North London and now Hertfordshire. It really does depend on what you want and your budget. In north London we were living in Friern Barnet just from North Finchley and it was amazing. There aren't many houses that come up for sale much but it has everything you need. There are several schools around and green spaces. Buses come every ten minutes and you can easily get to arnos grove, bounds green stations. In addition, woodside park is very close also. There is large tescos near by and lots of greenery too.Me and mrs always felt safe in the area no matter what time it was. We would regularly walk around after 9pm to the shops. you don't hear police sirens every five minutes like you would in East London. If you want something a bit more affordable I would suggest checking out Welwyn Garden city or Hatfield (depends where in both), we have a three bedroom house with two bathrooms for less than 400k. The commute cost is more at around 400 per month but you do get your own place with lots of space plus probably a garden and garage. For Friern Barnet the cost for a house would be close to the million mark I would have thought.
  • t0rt0ise
    t0rt0ise Posts: 4,258
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    Avoid Chalk Farm!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,146
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    For Friern Barnet the cost for a house would be close to the million mark I would have thought.

Indeed, and this is true (and then some) for all the prime North London locations.

The price of houses (I assume that this is what the OP is looking for) varies hugely around London and the Home Counties, as do transport and amenities.

Amongst the list of locations, Hampstead and Highgate are premium, the other southern-most areas have nice bits and rougher bits, and the further north you go, the cheaper(*) and quieter it gets.

(*) All things are relative, and £750,000 gets you a fairly ordinary 3-bed Semi in East Finchley, or for two-thirds of that you can buy a larger house in many parts of leafy SE London.
  • Thanks @bbh123 really helpful.
    Yea Muswell Hill would be great but we work in London Bridge and Oxford Circus so commute is better from other options.
  • Thanks gazza, great ideas but Barnet would be too far a commute for us.
  • @cornucopia - plan is 2 bed flat for £500k approx.
    Would rather a flat than a house.
  • I've lived all over North London (Finchleys, Golders Green, Cricklewood, Hendon, Edgware) but have now lived in East Finchley for three years and I love it, It has a much greater sense of community and is more villagey than the other Finchleys. We have a second hand book shop, a brilliant grocer/greengrocer, great pubs, a wet fish shop, butchers and a fantastic cinema (The Phoenix). The Archer Academy is, I understand, a very good school and the tube station is in Zone 3. And you're in walking distance of Hampstead Heathh.
  • Greenwich? 9 minutes from London Bridge via overground.
  • I lived in most of the areas on your list but ended up at an area not on your list which I recommend you have a look at. Alexandra Park is a backwater, quieter and cheaper than most of the areas you are looking at but only 10 mins walk to Muswell Hill, with local shops, good schools, plenty of green space and a BR station so 20 mins into Old Street, Moorgate ,Kings Cross.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure