Income and CGT query

vigman
vigman Posts: 1,377 Forumite
Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
edited 10 December 2017 at 2:17PM in Cutting tax
Hi

My wife earns c £2000 PAYE since retiring. I took the married allowance as my pension is taxable.

She has just been told she will be liable for CGT on the difference in IHT valuation and the sale price of a property

I know there is the personal tax allowance and a CGT allowance.

I'm trying to get my head round whether these allowances can be combined before any tax is paid?

If the CGT owed was £11,400 would she be liable to 18% of the £100 over the £11,300 allowance even if she had only had income of £2000 in that year.

I think the actual amount CGT will be based on is £40,000

Any examples greatly welcomed please

TIA

Vigman
Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.

Comments

• Linton
    Linton Posts: 17,120 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Hung up my suit!
    The CGT allowance and Income Tax allowance are completely separate. You cant move spare allowance from one to the other.
  • vigman
    edited 10 December 2017 at 2:42PM
    Ive just read somewhere that married couples can claim the £11,300 CGT allowance each if one of them makes a capital gain?

Just found this example of a single non taxpayer earning £5k with £100,000 CG when the CGT allowance was £11,100

"The easiest way to explain is that you will pay 18% on everything between the amount that you earned from an income perspective and the upper end of the basic rate income tax band of £31,785.

So. If you only earn £5,000 a year, you’ll pay £26,785 at 18%, then the remainder of the taxable amount (£88,900 – £26,785) of £62,115 at 28%. Therefore, your capital gains tax bill would be £22,214 in the example where your income is £5,000 a year."

Vigman
    Any information given in my posts or replies is intended to be of interest and/or help to members of the forum. I cannot guarantee that this is accurate or up to date.
  • vigman
    I have just found the CGT calculator on the Gov.uk website although it only allows for the deduction of one person's CGT allowance?

Thanks

Vigman
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 December 2017 at 3:20PM
    vigman wrote: »
    Ive just read somewhere that married couples can claim the £11,300 CGT allowance each if one of them makes a capital gain?
    instead of drip feeding info and confusing yourself by only partial reading of who knows what sources, please answer:

who owned the sold property: your wife as sole owner or both of you as co-owners? (It appears to have been inherited, so I assume by your wife only?)

if co-owners what format did that take: joint tenancy or tenancy in common?

if tenancy in common, what were your respective shares?

the 100k example calculation you list explains how much tax is payable at 18% and 28% but uses the tax thresholds applicable to the 16/17 tax year. What tax year was the property sold in?

the CGT allowance (£11,300 17/18 @ rate) is PER (beneficial interest) OWNER hence the calculator quite rightly works on the basis the tax is due from the taxpaying owner based on their share of the gain
  • vigman
    00ec25 wrote: »
    instread of drip feeding info and confusion yourself by only partial reading of who knows what sources please answer:

who owned the sold property: your wife as sole owner or both of you as co-owners?

if co-owners what format did that take: joint tenancy or tenancy in common?

if tenancy in common, what were your respective shares?

the 100k example calculation you list explains how much tax is payable at 18% and 28% but uses the tax thresholds applicable to the 16/17 tax year. What tax year was the property sold in?

the CGT allowance (£11,300 17/18 @ rate) is PER (beneficial interest) OWNER

Thanks. The property was owned by my wife and her sister 50/50. The property was sold a few months ago. CGT arose because there was a difference between the IHT valuation and the actual sale price. I realise that only her allowance can be deducted on her portion

Vigman
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 10 December 2017 at 4:30PM
    Thanks. The property was owned by my wife and her sister 50/50. The property was sold a few months ago. CGT arose because there was a difference between the IHT valuation and the actual sale price. I realise that only her allowance can be deducted on her portion

Vigman
    so sold in 17/18 tax year, therefore, too late to do any tax planning actions now.

your wife's share will be 50% of the gain between selling price (less selling costs) and the IHT/probate valuation.

Unless the estate of the deceased actually paid IHT, the valuation has not yet been "ascertained" ie accepted by HMRC and they may overrule your wife's figure when she submits her tax calculation

the only relief to which your wife is entitled will be (one) £11,300 CGT "annual exempt amount" (the so called CGT personal allowance).

your wife will then pay tax at 18% and/or 28% as per the mechanics of the example you've already found

you do not feature in any of the above at all, the tax liability is solely on your wife
  • vigman
    Many thanks 00ec25. The whole thing is a mess as there were multiple properties and valuations and a large sum c £500,000 has already been paid towards IHT although an overall total value of the estate has not been agreed. No settlement from the estate has therefore been made.

However the sister has had a specific notification on the one property in question that CGT is due on the difference between valuation and sale and has let us know this will be due on my wife's part.

Vigman
  • 00ec25
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Many thanks 00ec25. The whole thing is a mess as there were multiple properties and valuations and a large sum c £500,000 has already been paid towards IHT although an overall total value of the estate has not been agreed. No settlement from the estate has therefore been made.

However the sister has had a specific notification on the one property in question that CGT is due on the difference between valuation and sale and has let us know this will be due on my wife's part.

Vigman
    let us hope the estate is being administered by professionals then if the IHT paid so far is £0.5M. Wonder why this one property has triggered CGT if there are others in the estate that have not?
  • Tom99
    Tom99 Posts: 5,371 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Was the beneficial interest in the property transferred to your wife/sister before the sale or was the property sold by the estate? If it was not transferred then normally the sale will be treated as being by the estate and the estate only has one total annual allowance of £11,300 and also pays CGT at the higher rate of 28%.[/FONT]
  • vigman
    Tom99 wrote: »
    [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Was the beneficial interest in the property transferred to your wife/sister before the sale or was the property sold by the estate? If it was not transferred then normally the sale will be treated as being by the estate and the estate only has one total annual allowance of £11,300 and also pays CGT at the higher rate of 28%.[/FONT]

The property was willed to my wife and sister and sold by the estate. I don't believe it was transferred to them before the sale as the land reg was still in the deceased's name as far as I can make out.

The most confusing thing is that the money received for the sale of the property has actually all gone to pay IHT against the total estate.

So my wife is paying CGT on the difference between the valuation and sale price of the property although she is actually not getting a half of the sale proceeds?!

TIA

Vigman
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure