A question about bankruptcy

Hi, I'm beginning to think that my debts can never realistically be paid off (unless I die - don't worry, I'm not planning to do something awful) and that I would be forced into bankruptcy if I lost my job or my health got any worse than now.
There is a question I am wondering about and I'm hoping someone on this board will have maybe been in a similar position and can give me some kind of answer.
I have a joint mortgage with my wife on our house. My wife has no debt at all, everything except the mortgage is in my name alone.
Can I be forced / expected to sell off my half of the house to pay back to my creditors? My wife owns half of the house so how is she affected by my going bankrupt?

Comments

• fermi
    fermi Posts: 40,546
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Forumite
    All hinges on the level of equity and your beneficial interest in it, and if there is some worth pursuing, whether someone can buy that interest back from the OR

See: https://www.gov.uk/bankruptcy/your-home
    Free/impartial debt advice: National Debtline | StepChange Debt Charity | Find your local CAB

IVA & fee charging DMP companies: Profits from misery, motivated ONLY by greed
  • debt_doctor
    debt_doctor Posts: 4,595
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Hi Jim,
    If you become bankrupt the OR immediately owns half the beneficial interest in your jointly owned home.
    If you have a personal equity level of more than £10k, it is likely that an Insolvency Practitioner (IP) would be instructed to sell the property to release the money.
    This cannot happen for a year past your bankruptcy date and the house must be 'dealt with' within 3 years otherwise your share goes back to you automatically.
    If less than £10k equity, likely the OR would put a charge on the property which would attract 8% interest per year.
    If no / negative equity you might be able to buy the OR's nominal interest in the property for £1000 - no guarantees though.
    Your wife's share of the equity would always be safe and passed to her in the event of a sale.
    Your wife's credit rating would be affected by your bankruptcy as you have a joint account.
    DD
    Debt Doctor, Debt caseworker, Citizens' Advice Bureau .
    Impartial debt advice services: Citizens Advice Bureau Find your local CAB *** National Debtline - Tel: 0808 808 4000*** BSC No. 100 ***
  • threeofus
    threeofus Posts: 106 Forumite
    my husband went bankrupt, I am being asked to buy his beneficial interest from the trustee or agree to a sale of my home - husband and I since separated - my credit score has been badly effected because of the financial association of joint mortgage. We can't remortgage together as he is bankrupt, and as we've now broken up I am having to do it on my own. Please please please keep your wife informed and get as much information together as you can, get things in place before you, and if you decided to follow the bankruptcy route, it's pretty stressful, do as much research as you can - I was kept in the dark. If you have a home try to protect it. Wishing you the best
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    It's a drastic step from a homeowner to declare bankruptcy, as the others have explained.

Are you on a debt management plan? Have you looked at an IVA?
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    fatbelly wrote: »
    It's a drastic step from a homeowner to declare bankruptcy, as the others have explained.

Are you on a debt management plan? Have you looked at an IVA?

Hi, I have been in touch with Step Change and also CAP. Both suggest selling up as we do have quite a lot of equity. Step change have also suggested a debt management plan. I'm still reading through all they have sent me. It's quite hard to discuss it with my wife as she is mentally ill - really I should stop working and be her carer but our debt traps me in my current employment - it's just kicking the can down the road but I'm aware I'm doing this along a cliff edge and I wanted to know where it would go if (and it is a big if) I was forced to declare BR. I've had some helpful answers so far, I know more now than I did a few days ago thanks
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Organisation Representative
    Hi Jim

Glad to hear you have talked things through with a couple of debt advice charities. That's better than starting with a fixed idea like bankruptcy and working backwards from there.

It's worth pointing out that it's very unlikely any creditors would "force" you into bankruptcy, in case that was a concern. This is not something High St lenders tend to do - it's poor PR as much as anything else.

Good luck

Dennis
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • threeofus
    threeofus Posts: 106 Forumite
    please think really carefully, if you have a home do not go bankrupt they will make you sell it unless you are fortunate enough to have the means to buy the beneficial interest - they don't care what the circumstances, they just want their money...unbelievably you are better off if you borrowed more than your house is worth and subsequently in negative equity, you get to keep your home then, or even if you rent. If you think you will have to declare bankrupt then perhaps look to rent somewhere first as you can't once the deed is done, or it is a lot more difficult. I hope things get easier for you xx
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,380
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Forumite
    Hi, I have been in touch with Step Change and also CAP. Both suggest selling up as we do have quite a lot of equity. Step change have also suggested a debt management plan. I'm still reading through all they have sent me. It's quite hard to discuss it with my wife as she is mentally ill - really I should stop working and be her carer but our debt traps me in my current employment - it's just kicking the can down the road but I'm aware I'm doing this along a cliff edge and I wanted to know where it would go if (and it is a big if) I was forced to declare BR. I've had some helpful answers so far, I know more now than I did a few days ago thanks

Good. But I see no reason why you should sell your house, at least not because of a load of non-priority debts. How muchdebt are we talking about?

If stepchange have suggested a dmp, go with that for now..

If you then need to stop working and be a carer for your wife, go with that. A dmp just pays your surplus income to your creditors. If it goes down it goes down.

As long as the mortgage can be paid the house is safe.
  • Norfolk_Jim
    Norfolk_Jim Posts: 1,301
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    about £40,000
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,711
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    about £40,000

Then as well as looking at debt management, look into doing an IVA also, usually people who can’t go bankrupt due to having assets, such as a house, opt for the IVA instead.

Remortgage is usually necessary in year 5, but if that’s not possible for any reason, you get an extra year of payments instead.

Look at both options, see which would suit you best, as bankrupcy probably not the best route for you to take.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure