Home insurance

Options
Hi all,

Can any of you recommend an insurer for buildings and contents insurance? Lots of the websites I have been on state that I cannot get a quote if I have ever been bankrupt. It is 6yrs+ since I filed for BR.

Applying for a mortgage at the moment so hoping to share a success story on here soon! Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Comments

• Potbellypig
    Options
    hodge263 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Can any of you recommend an insurer for buildings and contents insurance? Lots of the websites I have been on state that I cannot get a quote if I have ever been bankrupt. It is 6yrs+ since I filed for BR.

Applying for a mortgage at the moment so hoping to share a success story on here soon! Fingers crossed.

Thanks

Another downside to bankruptcy that they don't tell you about. I applied for business insurance last year. I had to pay £1200 when it should cost about £450.

Good luck on the mortgage.
  • hodge263
    Options
    Thanks very much. It’s outrageous isn’t it, it never even occurred to me that I would have trouble finding insurance.
  • MEM62
    MEM62 Posts: 4,752 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    hodge263 wrote: »
    Thanks very much. It’s outrageous isn’t it, it never even occurred to me that I would have trouble finding insurance.

Outrageous? Probably not. Insurance premiums are risk-based - or at least they are supposed to be. You'll need an underwriter to properly explain why people who have been declared bankrupt represent a higher risk for certain types of policy but some of the higher premiums will be the result of the fact that insurance companies don't want business from certain demographic groups and therefore price their policies accordingly.
  • tomconfused
    Options
    Hi

I must admit I’m quite surprised at this, I used compare the meet cat and it did ask and I ticked yes. I still got over 40plus quotes and set up the cheapest no problem.

I have also never had any problem getting business insurance and I set up with Hiscox last week and wasn’t even asked.

Who have you tried?
  • Mouse007
    Mouse007 Posts: 1,062 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Churchill don't ask about BR

BBC WatchDog “if you are struggling with an unfair parking charge do get in touch”

Please email your PCN story to watchdog@bbc.co.uk they want to hear about it.
    Please then tell us here that you have done so.

• hodge263
    hodge263 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks. I have been worried about getting lots of quotes in case footprints are left on my credit file so I was hoping to get advice for specific companies to try and this is helpful.

I don't need an underwriter to explain anything to me - I understand that people are classed as a higher risk having filed for bankruptcy. However a lot of us end up in this situation due to the actions of others and I find it frustrating to continually encounter problems years down the line. Thanks for your input.
  • tomconfused
    Options
    It won’t make any difference it’s a soft search that only you and the credit company can see. It makes no difference to your credit file at all. If you are that bothered put in all your details but a fake name. You will see it doesn’t make any difference to the quote.
  • hodge263
    hodge263 Posts: 39 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks will give that a try!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts