Nuicense calls

What ho one and all,

I'm sure this is the wrong section but since it appears to be insurance related, I'll give it a try. Also, it is not about 'saving money.'

X months ago, I was apparently involved in a motor accident. I think someone touched my bumper while I was parked but there was absolutely no damage whatsoever. I did nothing.

Than the phone calls started, asking me about 'your motor accident.' Every time, I tell them that there was no accident, I did not make a claim, I am not after any money and would they remove my data from their list.

It falls on deaf ears; today, I have received three calls from the same number; all are very poor quality, non-native English speakers, but all calls have a UK number.

Is there any way that I can prevent these calls? My phone does not have a blocking facility; usually I just hang up but they call again.

Thank and toodle pip

Rex

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    It's been around for many years, just end the call as soon as you know it's yet another scammer.
  • dunstonh
    dunstonh Posts: 116,037
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I have the BT service and it works well. It is a blacklist run by BT and you can add a personal blacklist. You dial 1572 after a spam/scam call and add to blacklist. As more do that, BT then add them to the master list.

Since I had that running, the number of cold calls has dropped to under 1 a fortnight from about 3 a day (and I was TPS before).
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). The comments I make are just my opinion and are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice and you should not treat them as such. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
  • Rekusu
    Rekusu Posts: 61 Forumite
    Unfortunately, all the calls are to my mobile, which is a very basic model and does not have call screening.
  • wongataa
    wongataa Posts: 2,611
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    All you can do is hang up. I don't answer my phone if I don't recognise the number. Legitimate callers will leave a message if they want to talk to me. The scammers never leave messages.
  • My OH had this problem for over a year. She basically stopped answering her mobile at all to unknown numbers. They stopped eventually but it was a long slog.
    Retired at age 56 after having "light bulb moment" due to reading MSE and its forums. Have been converted to the "budget to zero" concept and use YNAB for all monthly budgeting and long term goals.
  • Archergirl
    Archergirl Posts: 1,762
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    If it's a smart phone install Truecaller it tells you who is calling if it's classed as spam.
  • Rekusu
    Rekusu Posts: 61 Forumite
    A friend suggested one of two ideas, if there is a caller on the other end.

Either put the phone next to the radio and walk away, or, ask if they like poetry. Of course, they will politely answer in the affirmative. Then proceed to recite the JabberWocky song to them.

T'was brillig in the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe
    All mimsy were the borogoves
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

That'll get them! And it adds a lot of new word to the spell checker!
  • jamesperrett
    jamesperrett Posts: 1,009
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Rekusu wrote: »
    ask if they like poetry

Your post reminded me of the Vogon poetry in Hitch Hiker's Guide To The Galaxy - that would be sure to send your callers away!
  • Nebulous2
    Nebulous2 Posts: 5,072
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Forumite
    It's very unlikely it has any connection to your bump. They just called you at random. Most people will have had at least a minor touch of some sort at some time. What you have then done is engage with them to some extent and they've managed to get out of you that you've had a bump. Everytime you say something different it will be added together to use later.

Best idea is not to engage. Tell them nothing. Put the phone down or a curt "I'm not interested."

I have a female acquaintance who says "What accident, the one where my husband died?" as a sort of shock tactic. That may provide some amusement and a feeling of getting your own back for the annoyance of the calls, but it is quite a hollow victory in my view.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure