One app to replace ALL your loyalty cards

Comments

• Woofwoof
    Woofwoof Posts: 17 Forumite
    I have been using for over a year, but it seems the stores don't have the technology to make this really work. Self service tills in M&S Food don't accept it by scan, but I select a key in button on the screen (I watched the staff do it several times so worked out what to do), and put the (very long) Sparks card number in, if I have the time.

Great in Costa!

Carrying a huge wallet of loyalty cards had become a problem, even though I divided them into two lots - 1 lot in the car for places I usually drive to, and the others on me for those I walked to.
  • LizPhillips
    LizPhillips Posts: 10 Forumite
    I thought this sounded great & popped all my cards onto it - unfortunately only Subway so far has the ability to scan from the phone. No supermarkets have worked for me (Waitrose, Sainsburys, Co-Op, Asda, Morrisons) or store cards so far (Boots, Nectar, M&S, Next)
    Also, it's actually more faff to pull out the phone, find the app, wait for it to load and then find the store
    I only ever get Tesco deals notifications and usually 30 minutes after I've left the shop.
    I've stopped using and carry a bigger purse.
  • cairndog
    cairndog Posts: 226 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Generally I don't use loyalty cards - they're a faff and it takes about 2 years to add up to a value of about £2-3 for my nearest shop (Sains) .... and I've never used an app of any sort.

I struggle already to find/use my Sainsbury card when I am in there ... and it's all a faff and holding up the queue... having to additionally get my phone out, find the app, do all of that, while packing, while paying, while making sure I've got everything and not dropped something, while checking I've got the right change and finally ... after not tripping over as I felt under pressure to "get a move on" from the queue behind me ....

.... in short it won't happen.

I couldn't agree more. Brilliant description says it all!!
    These cards are such a con really and for the store's benefit.:T
  • Doesn't scan in M&S food, but neither does their own digital code within their Sparks app. Press 'enter code' on self service or read out to cashier. Has worked on clothes checkout though.

Waterstones have once refused to enter code manually or try to scan the app. I'm not particularly bothered as it was an afterthought, but if it mattered to me I would cancel the purchase.

As for loyalty cards 'not worth the bother' it depends how much you spend. I had forgotten my wallet and phone the other day and was able to make a purchase for £10 at Co-op just using my key-fob loyalty card. Nectar points usually cover a crate of good wine for Christmas, and as we shop online at Sainsbury, I don't even have to find the card number (stored on account).
  • Si1969
    Si1969 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    I don't get the "can't be bothered to use loyalty cards" logic. Obviously for the occasional shop in a store you don't frequent can make sense, but what about where you buy your fuel or groceries?

We're a two adults and one child family, that shop carefully and stock up on non perishables when they're on offer, and we still make about £80 a year from our nectar card.

If you're not interested in loyalty cards then I don't really get why you're on moneysaving in the first place.

As for me, since I've had the app I sign up for every loyalty scheme going, and then file the membership cards away.

What I like about a more recent update is that you can now link many accounts and see how many points you have to spend.

Finally, I can confirm that the app does work at Subway, Superdrug, KFC and Costa.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 4 May 2017 at 5:50PM
    Si1969 wrote: »
    I don't get the "can't be bothered to use loyalty cards" logic. Obviously for the occasional shop in a store you don't frequent can make sense, but what about where you buy your fuel or groceries?

We're a two adults and one child family, that shop carefully and stock up on non perishables when they're on offer, and we still make about £80 a year from our nectar card.

If you're not interested in loyalty cards then I don't really get why you're on moneysaving in the first place.

I spend about £10/week on groceries etc, mostly at L1dl/A1di.. I go to Sainsbobs for beans and a mooch around to see if there's anything interesting (usually not)... so Sainsbobs gets about £6/month from me, MAX.

Petrol is a Shell card, I fill up 4x a year.

I am simply not a "big spender". I don't buy things - especially at the sort of shops that have loyalty cards... which means that by the time I've changed my bag, purse, whatnot, 3-4x between visits it's highly likely I've "decluttered" my bag down to a "minimalist bag" e.g. when I go out on my pushbike and the card's been tossed into the "don't want that today" pile and forgotten.

There's more to MSE than loyalty cards.
    Si1969 wrote: »
    As for me, since I've had the app I sign up for every loyalty scheme going, and then file the membership cards away.

What I like about a more recent update is that you can now link many accounts and see how many points you have to spend.

Finally, I can confirm that the app does work at Subway, Superdrug, KFC and Costa.
    I don't even notice loyalty cards.... and I've not bought from Subway since 2004 (been 3x ever), Superdrug since about 2011, KFC had one freebie once as part of a mystery shopping assignment in about 2005 and never been in a Costa (or any other coffee shop).

Loyalty cards are for "pricier shops than I'm usually scuttling around in" ... and I do hate shopping to start with.

:)
  • kerri_gt
    kerri_gt Posts: 11,202 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Xmas Saver!
    Tried scanning the app in Sainsburys today, didn't scan.

I do get that some people simply don't spend enough to be interested in loyalty cards. I have a few core one I use, but only if I'm going to that store for something anyway, I won't for instance specifically go to Boots to use my card if I can get the item cheaper elsewhere, but will use my card if I'm in Boots buying something for a reason (usually their 70% sale)

Horses for courses, as PN said, being MSE isn't just about loyalty cards.

This app seems a good idea but it needs to integrate better with the store equipment before it has any milage. Be nice to see some cashback tie in too in the same vein as Clicksnap to grow / encourage the user base.
    Feb 2015 NSD Challenge 8/12
    JAN NSD 11/16

• GMAH
    GMAH Posts: 1 Newbie
    This I found this warning on the app website for android. Is this person talking sense?

Stocard-Loyalty Terms and conditions state. "Due to the nature of their business. Monetary damages would be inadequate compensation. Therfore you agree that we shall be entitled to preliminary and permanent injunctive relief. If you breach the terms and conditions". If this is the way terms are going to be in the future, be very careful what you agree to. A simple app could strip you of everything for the rest of your life. I am deleting this app and I advise this company to change it's terms to a more realistic level.
  • zoebeth
    zoebeth Posts: 47 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I've just been to Boots and tried to use Stocard for the first time. The assistant looked and said that they cannot accept this any more, and that he'd just signed something to say that he wouldnt. He then went on to tell me that I didn't know who had my details and that technology had gone too far :rotfl:

So it looks like Boots is out.
    BR 14/08/2011 didn’t learn my lesson 😬
    DFD 26/02/2021
    Emergency fund £2600/£8000
  • Si1969
    Si1969 Posts: 12 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Absolutely, MSE isn't just about loyalty cards, but this thread is!

Another potentially useful tip that might help someone on here. If you're planning on going out to eat at any chain establishment, check to see if they have an app before you go, ideally 24 hours before you go.

A lot of chain restaurants seem to have apps nowadays, and tend to email you a money off voucher on registration.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback