Top Small Biz Savings Accounts

Comments

• wytco0
    wytco0 Posts: 88 Forumite
    I spoke to AIB a month ago over the phone and they said they were still open to new customers - did you try by phone?

I contacted them on Wednesday and they said

"I apologise for the delayed response.

Please note our products are no longer available to new customers.
    If you can provide your phone number and contact details I will contact you to discuss any new revised products that may suit your business needs.

If you are an existing customer, I can send you the application pack via email or post.

Thank you

Kind regards
    XXX
    Business & Broker Support

Anglo Irish Bank Corporation Limited
    10 Old Jewry
    London EC2R 8DN"
  • Stefka_2
    Stefka_2 Posts: 14 Forumite
    I am hoping to teach some classes and had initially been planning to make it a non-profit but it is too complicated to start this way so am just going to go for a small business just now. I am trying to figure out the bank accounts. I won't be dealing with much money, but need to put in cheques and probably cash too. I have heard bad things about Santander but they are free. Any advice or suggestions would be welcome.
  • cottager
    cottager Posts: 934 Forumite
    Agreed - I'm happy to tie up money for a month or so, but what I really need is a deposit account that links seamlessly with the business's current account so that I can shuffle funds easily back and forth. I'm not after a wonderful interest rate - just better than the 0.4% (seriously) that we get on our current deposit account.

Natwest's Direct Reserve earns 1.10% gross (including a 1% bonus for 12 months) - no great shakes by any means, but better than 0.4%! However, how "seamless" it would be without having a business current a/c with them I don't know, or even if you could open one without having your business a/c there. Didn't arise with us as we bank with Natwest anyway, so we could have one.

http://www.natwest.com/business/products/savings/instant-access-accounts/direct-reserve-savings-account.ashx

We opened our DR last year and were expecting the bonus to drop off in about a month from now; but we 'flew a kite' and asked our manager a few weeks ago if there was any way it could be extended, and after checking with someone he said we should be getting a letter through before it expires offering an extension anyway, giving the impression this happened as a matter of course. Whether that's correct I've no idea... I'll believe it when I see it TBH ;) as the terms when opened were certainly that it was only for 12 months and would then fall to the basic miserable 0.10% gross (up to £25k, and hardly any better above it - worse than your 0.4%!).

If so, we're stuck with it unless we could find a better replacement elsewhere (or unless we moved our business a/c too, which we don't really want to do). But like you, instant TF between accounts is a big attraction in our situation, overriding other considerations to a large degree. A notice account would be out of the question, and anywhere without Faster Payments outwards probably doubtful also (which a savings account held in isolation elsewhere probably wouldn't be able to do anyway).
    ~cottager
  • koru
    koru Posts: 1,502 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    I spoke to AIB a month ago over the phone and they said they were still open to new customers - did you try by phone?
    Yes .
    koru
  • If you have £30K+ available for deposit and make no withdrawal in the first 12 months, Santander's Business Reward Saver is currently offering 2% Gross/AER, which includes a variable rate bonus for the first 12 months of 1.00% Gross/AER. The rate drops to 1.84% Gross/AER (including bonus) if you make one withdrawal in the first 12 months. See the site for all terms & conditions.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods, There is a rapture on the lonely shore, There is society, where none intrudes, By the deep sea, and music in its roar: I love not man the less, but Nature more...
  • koru
    One option, if you have surplus cash in the business, would be to make early payment of any tax liabilities. HMRC pays interest on most payments received before the due date. For instance, if you pay corporation tax early, they pay 0.5% interest, which is pretty low, but better than most banks are offering at present.
    koru
  • We are looking for a business savings acccount that actually pays us some interest! Why don't the banks do any of these accounts? We need fairly quick access and cannot tie money up for a year or so, why can't we get the 2.5% or 3% that a personal saver has?
  • koru
    We are looking for a business savings acccount that actually pays us some interest! Why don't the banks do any of these accounts? We need fairly quick access and cannot tie money up for a year or so, why can't we get the 2.5% or 3% that a personal saver has?
    Baffling, isn't it? It's not as if they need to provide any different service to the business than an individual. The business just wants to transfer some money into the account, get a competitive rate of interest, then withdraw it when they need it. Perhaps there is some sort of hassle involved in dealing with a business in comparison with dealing with an individual, although I can't think what it is.
    koru
  • koru
    I have just thought, perhaps the reason they don't pay decent interest on business savings accounts is that businesses tend to withdraw their money more quickly than individuals. Although an individual can obviously withdraw from an instant access savings account whenever they like, perhaps they tend to leave their money invested for long periods? In contrast, if businesses have surplus cash they will either use it for business purposes quite quickly (to pay corporation tax, or VAT, or another creditor, or to buy a fixed asset) or, if it is not needed for the business, it will be distributed to the shareholders.
    koru
  • thenudeone
    thenudeone Posts: 4,462 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    I know this is an old post but if you can keep a minimum balance of £5k and give 100 days notice, this gives a fairly reasonable 2.9% https://www.shawbrook.co.uk/business/save/notice-product/100-day-notice-business-savings-account/
    We need the earth for food, water, and shelter.
    The earth needs us for nothing.
    The earth does not belong to us.
    We belong to the Earth
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family