Incorrect County Court Judgement (CCJ) - Help!

I am a member of the MSE Credit Club and check my Credit Report regularly - Particularly recently, as I wanted to apply for a new Balance Transfer Credit Card.

You can imagine my surprise when my Credit Score suddenly dropped from 'Excellent' to 'Poor' in September. It came to light that a Judgement (CCJ) had been logged on my file - After much investigating, which in itself wasn't easy, it came to light that my secondary place of work (a University) had electronically issued a parking ticket against me back in February, which had been sent to a previous address.

I didn't receive any of the proceeding correspondence, but long story short, the University have accepted full liability that the ticket had been issued in error as they had entered my vehicle registration details incorrectly on their visitor parking system.

The University's solicitor contacted me to sign a 'Set Aside Consent Order' on 20/10/17 to which I promptly returned. However, if my understanding is correct, it will take them a further 6 weeks for the Court to respond, following which the Court will need to inform the Registry Trust to remove this from my credit file, who'll then let Experian know within 4 weeks.

Total time = 10-11 weeks, being optimistic, until this horrendous thing is lifted from my credit file (excluding the 6 weeks that it took from initial discovery to get it to this stage).

In the meantime, I am now incurring interest on the Credit Card I was intending to change, and more recently the Bank of England Base Rates have risen. The offers that were previously available to me may not be as good, and I'm incredibly frustrated that a simple human error is having such a large financial effect on me.

1. Does anyone have any advise of how I can escalate the process of removing this from my file (unlike defaults, there is no option to add a comment or open a query on my report)?

2. Similarly, will this have any lasting effect on my credit file?

3. Could anyone advise on possible compensation routes that I could explore?

Greatly appreciate any help or advice!

Comments

• You need to contact the issuing court to dispute the CCJ.

But I don't understand how this affects your credit card interest rate?

Or why you think you're entitled for compensation?
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,876 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 17 November 2017 at 7:06PM
    !!! wrote: »
    But I don't understand how this affects your credit card interest rate?

Or why you think you're entitled for compensation?

The OP cannot balance transfer with a CCJ on there credit report, so there stuck paying interest on there current card.

Has the university said they will pay the set-aside fee ?

Have you applied for a set-aside yourself ? thats usually the only way to get a CCJ removed after 30 days has elapsed.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Thrugelmir
    Thrugelmir Posts: 89,546 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post

If your employer had had the correct address on file then the whole episode could have been avoided.
  • nic_c
    nic_c Posts: 2,928 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    1. Does anyone have any advise of how I can escalate the process of removing this from my file (unlike defaults, there is no option to add a comment or open a query on my report)?
    No not really, but you can get confirmation once the setaside has been granted and use this if not using an automated CC application
    2. Similarly, will this have any lasting effect on my credit file?
    Shouldn't as it will be removed so be as if you never had it
    :rotfl:

Sorry when I started reading the post I knew there would be a compo request somewhere. I can't see what compo you would be entitled to. Claim compo from the court because they will take a long time to process the set aside? There is no right to credit and no guarantee you would have got the card without the CCJ - don't go in credit scores because they are worthless. You didn't check your report before application and didn't have any contingency - what would you have done if this CCJ wasn't there and the card company had still said no?
    That said you could tell the Universities solicitor that you are incurring credit interest because of not been able to shift it across. Since they agreed to set aside then they may, as a goodwill gesture, reimburse the interest incurred, but they may refuse. You could try the small claims to prove your loss.
  • OP - two questions:

1) Have you actually applied for and been refused for any credit cards?

2) If so then have you got it writing from the provider that the sole reason for refusal was this CCJ recorded against you?

Unless you can answer yes to both of these questions then any claim for compensation will fail.

In addition, how did they get your address to issue the county court claim? Normally it would be obtained from DVLA - have you updated the address on your V5 for the car?
  • System
    System Posts: 178,093 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post

Can you tell me what monetary loss you have suffered? You can only claim compensation if you actually lost something as a result.
  • sourcrates wrote: »
    The OP cannot balance transfer with a CCJ on there credit report, so there stuck paying interest on there current card.

Has the university said they will pay the set-aside fee ?

Have you applied for a set-aside yourself ? thats usually the only way to get a CCJ removed after 30 days has elapsed.

Thanks for your reply. Yes the University has agreed to pay all fees, and they instigated the process with their Solicitor. I have just received confirmation that the Court has agreed to Set Aside the Order - Now it's just a waiting game until it's removed from my credit file!
  • Tarambor wrote: »
    Can you tell me what monetary loss you have suffered? You can only claim compensation if you actually lost something as a result.

Thanks for your reply! I am incurring interest on my current credit card as the deal ran out - The reason I noticed the CCJ in the first place was because I was preparing to submit an application for a new card. Had the CJJ not been on my file, I would have applied for a new card (I have done this many times in the past and never been rejected).

However, I obviously didn't submit the application because my MoneySavingExpert Eligibility Calculator said my chances of being awarded was 0%.
  • OP - two questions:

1) Have you actually applied for and been refused for any credit cards?

2) If so then have you got it writing from the provider that the sole reason for refusal was this CCJ recorded against you?

Unless you can answer yes to both of these questions then any claim for compensation will fail.

In addition, how did they get your address to issue the county court claim? Normally it would be obtained from DVLA - have you updated the address on your V5 for the car?

Thanks for your reply!
    I didn't apply for a credit card because on my MoneySavingExpert eligibility calculator it said my chances of being accepted was 0% after the CCJ was added to my file. Prior to this, it said my chances were 95%. I'd like to think that my chances will return to normal once this is removed, in which case I can prove the effect that this had on my Credit Card eligibility and thus the reason why I am now incurring interest?

I believe it was obtained from the DVLA, as they are not my employer (I just manage a team there so travel regularly). I moved house last year but there was a slight delay in updating my V5 - The timing is just unfortunate.

Thanks for your help.
  • waamo
    waamo Posts: 10,298 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    The parking fines board has a whole section devoted to court and set asides. On that board read the post that tells Newbies to read it first. There is a whole walk through on what to do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure