Add your feedback on energy supplier Powershop

Comments

• fewkeste
    fewkeste Posts: 534 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Essexuser wrote: »
    I see the April Future Pack is available now and unfortunately the savings reductions continue, i.e. Feb -23.7%, March -15% and now April -12.2%. Very disappointing. I hope it's not a one way street!

I'm afraid it will be. The next opportunity to buy really well discounted Future Packs will probably be July or August 2018 when theoretically, November 2018 Future Packs will be released if PS follow the 2017 release pattern.

We are supposed to be able achieve an annual saving of around 20-22% by buying all the available Powerpacks but any Future Packs for April onwards will only serve to bring the average annual % achieved discount down.

When I can't buy power at 14.7% or greater discount, I'm better off with another supplier (not Iresa though.)

I'm pre-purchased up to about 2nd April 2018 and I will now only buy packs with a discount equal to or greater than 14.7%.

I do wish PS levelled the discount throughout the year instead of skewing it to the winter months or at the very least made it clear to prospective customers the uneven nature of the discounts throughout the year before they signed up.

I am unhappy that if I stay I will have to buy the majority of my power at pawltry discounts that generally make it more expensive than the next cheapest acceptable supplier that is not Iresa.

If the 2017 Future Packs release pattern is repeated, it will probably not be until July 2018 that I can buy November Future Packs (that will have a decent discount.)

So, for consumption in March through to end of September 2018 (April's Future Pack covers March consumption & November's Future Pack covers October's consumption) applicable Future Packs will be relatively poor value and only Special Packs will offer a reasonable discount but they will be insufficient to meet my demand.

So, for SEVEN months of the year I will only have access to Future Packs with a relatively low % discount - Hmpph!

I will still be able to buy monthly Simple Savers and the various Special Packs that pop up two or three times a month but I need to max out on Future Packs each month and more besides to cover my monthly usage.

Special Packs plus Simple Savers won't be enough to cover my monthly bill - I will need to buy Future Packs at the less attractive discount they offer to cover for the period April to October 2018 if I stay.
  • griffb
    griffb Posts: 168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm having pretty much the same thoughts. At an annual usage of c6,700Kwh, spread fairly evenly over the year, I have to max out on the Future Packs and am unlikely to build up a sizeable pot to cover the summer months at a large discount. I will certainly be looking at options come April/May, maybe a 6 month switch over the summer, returning in time for the December '18 Future Pack . I know the forecast savings are calculated over a 12 month period, but the discount pattern does not, as far as I can see, encourage remaining for the full year, .
  • cc120
    cc120 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 10 December 2017 at 9:49PM
    fewkeste wrote: »
    I'm afraid it will be. The next opportunity to buy really well discounted Future Packs will probably be July or August 2018 when theoretically, November 2018 Future Packs will be released if PS follow the 2017 release pattern.

We are supposed to be able achieve an annual saving of around 20-22% by buying all the available Powerpacks but any Future Packs for April onwards will only serve to bring the average annual % achieved discount down.

When I can't buy power at 14.7% or greater discount, I'm better off with another supplier (not Iresa though.)

I'm pre-purchased up to about 2nd April 2018 and I will now only buy packs with a discount equal to or greater than 14.7%.

I do wish PS levelled the discount throughout the year instead of skewing it to the winter months or at the very least made it clear to prospective customers the uneven nature of the discounts throughout the year before they signed up.

I am unhappy that if I stay I will have to buy the majority of my power at pawltry discounts that generally make it more expensive than the next cheapest acceptable supplier that is not Iresa.

If the 2017 Future Packs release pattern is repeated, it will probably not be until July 2018 that I can buy November Future Packs (that will have a decent discount.)

So, for consumption in March through to end of September 2018 (April's Future Pack covers March consumption & November's Future Pack covers October's consumption) applicable Future Packs will be relatively poor value and only Special Packs will offer a reasonable discount but they will be insufficient to meet my demand.

So, for SEVEN months of the year I will only have access to Future Packs with a relatively low % discount - Hmpph!

I will still be able to buy monthly Simple Savers and the various Special Packs that pop up two or three times a month but I need to max out on Future Packs each month and more besides to cover my monthly usage.

Special Packs plus Simple Savers won't be enough to cover my monthly bill - I will need to buy Future Packs at the less attractive discount they offer to cover for the period April to October 2018 if I stay.

Do you think it's worth me switching to powershop from edf in December 2017?
  • fewkeste
    cc120 wrote: »
    Do you think it's worth me switching to powershop from edf in December 2016?

I assume you mean December 2017.

It depends on what you are paying with edf.

Do a comparison on MSE energy club and see where Powershop come in relation to your current tariff on edf.

Why not work out your annual cost yourself then get a quote from Powershop for that consumption. I think they will tell you what effective tariff you can achieve by buying Powerpacks and then you can work out what your annual cost with Powershop would be compared to edf.
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    So we have had 2 of the 3 special December packs revealed. Pretty good discount on both of them but so little electricity contained therein only 2.43 worth in both. I wonder what the 3rd will be. I wasn't offered a jumbo with a paltry 7% discount this month so maybe it's another super jumbo like in November with a huge discount. Fingers crossed
  • cc120
    cc120 Posts: 121 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    fewkeste wrote: »
    I assume you mean December 2017.

It depends on what you are paying with edf.

Do a comparison on MSE energy club and see where Powershop come in relation to your current tariff on edf.

Why not work out your annual cost yourself then get a quote from Powershop for that consumption. I think they will tell you what effective tariff you can achieve by buying Powerpacks and then you can work out what your annual cost with Powershop would be compared to edf.

Yes 2017 :-)I would save £122 with the discounted powerpacks and only £50 without. I meant are there enough well discounted powerpacks coming up in the winter months to make it worthwhile switching now rather than later?
  • cc120 wrote: »
    I meant are there enough well discounted powerpacks coming up in the winter months to make it worthwhile switching now rather than later?

Ahh - I see. Well Future Pack discounts will be quite poor until July/August time when November 2018 Future packs will be available.

It depends if you need to buy Future Packs to cover your consumption. Special Packs and Simple Savers will provide some good discount.

In the short term you will not achieve the typical 20-22% annual achieved saving - more like 10-15% I would guess. So that could/should be the basis of the comparison you make on the possible savings over your current tariff.
  • griffb
    griffb Posts: 168 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Heads up guys - Winter Jumbo Pack now available with 37.2% discount. :j 17 days worth for me; that completes December, even without a Dec Future Pack
  • Tafrock
    Tafrock Posts: 747 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    23.50 worth of electricity cost to me of 14.75. 37.2% discount. Approx 16 days of power. Now do I buy it now and use it for my November bill due on 13th December or do I wait 2 days and use it for Decembers bill. If I use it now I won't have used any November future packs so they will roll over until December. This effectively means my future packs will cover me until at least April as I buy all 50 pounds worth of the heavily discounted ones ie up until February future pack. I only use around 30 pounds worth a month.
    my power usage this month (8th November until 13th December) will be covered by powerpacks with a minimum discount of 25% if I don't have to use November powerpack. That means my maximum cost of units will be 10.125 p per kWh. Im quite happy with that myself

I like the choices powershop offers me

Well done guys
  • fewkeste
    Tafrock wrote: »
    Now do I buy it now and use it for my November bill due on 13th December or do I wait 2 days and use it for Decembers bill.

It makes no difference. The best way to think of things is you are filling a pot up with discounted credit. It makes little difference if you purchase now or in a few days.

I don't actually know the order PS use up the credit in our pots - perhaps the PS rep on this forum can clarify?
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback