MPs to debate women affected by state pension age increases

Comments

• OldBeanz
    OldBeanz Posts: 1,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    They do have the right to make extra payments which could be the equivalent of the GRASPI demands but they decided that it was for Westminster to pay the money. Perhaps their support for GRASPI is not as strong as they would have you believe.
  • Silvertabby
    Silvertabby Posts: 9,021 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    They do have the right to make extra payments which could be the equivalent of the GRASPI demands but they decided that it was for Westminster to pay the money. Perhaps their support for GRASPI is not as strong as they would have you believe. Posted by OldBeanz

Westminster = English taxpayers.
  • mark5
    mark5 Posts: 1,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I’m Welsh and have a serious dislike of devolution, am I alone in this or do others feel the same way?
  • Terron
    Terron Posts: 846 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    mark5 wrote: »
    I’m Welsh and have a serious dislike of devolution, am I alone in this or do others feel the same way?

My father was English and my mother Welsh (native Welsh speaker). I dislike any separation of the the two countries.
  • I’m sure you’ll all be delighted to know they’ll be yet another WASPI debate in the HOC on the 14th December! This will be followed (next April) with an APPG EDM debate, again in the main chamber of the HOC.

Both will get kicked into the long grass.

You couldn’t make it up. :rotfl:
  • ffacoffipawb
    ffacoffipawb Posts: 3,593 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    I’m sure you’ll all be delighted to know they’ll be yet another WASPI debate in the HOC on the 14th December! This will be followed (next April) with an APPG EDM debate, again in the main chamber of the HOC.

Both will get kicked into the long grass.

You couldn’t make it up. :rotfl:

Getting more and more irrelevant. Female SPA is nearly 64 now.
  • redux
    redux Posts: 22,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I'm struggling to understand what tge problem is.

In 1995 it was announced that the pension age for women would be equalised from 2010 to 2020.

n 2007 it was announced that the pension age for men and women would be raised to 66 between 2024 and 2026.

In 2011 it was announced that instead the transition to 66 will have happened by October 2020. And 67 by between 2026 and 2028, instead of by 2034-36.

All other announcements were earlier than this.

The only thing that might be contentious is that the equalisation of women's age 65 was speeded up to complete by 2018 instead of 2020, but even this had 8 years notice.

Is that all that this is about, or am I missing something?

If women havent had enough notice since 1995, 2007, 2010 or 2011, what about men? Are men also complaining about reduced notice of the rise to age 66?
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    redux wrote: »
    I'm struggling to understand what tge problem is.

In 1995 it was announced that the pension age for women would be equalised from 2010 to 2020.

n 2007 it was announced that the pension age for men and women would be raised to 66 between 2024 and 2026.

In 2011 it was announced that instead the transition to 66 will have happened by October 2020. And 67 by between 2026 and 2028, instead of by 2034-36.

All other announcements were earlier than this.

The only thing that might be contentious is that the equalisation of women's age 65 was speeded up to complete by 2018 instead of 2020, but even this had 8 years notice.

If women havent had enough notice since 1995, 2007, 2010 or 2011, what about men? Are men also complaining about reduced notice of the rise to age 66?

Not strictly accurate.
    At some point in 2011, I was expecting to get my state pension in April 2017.
    A little later in 2011, I was told it was put back to July 2018.
    That is not '8 years notice'.
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,936 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    redux wrote: »

WASPI want all women born in the 1950s to receive their State Pension at 60, with missed payments backdated. Their members think they are going to get a £30,000+ cheque in the post from DWP when the government caves in.

All this stuff about notice and transitional arrangements is flim-flam. WASPI's modus operandi from the beginning has been to make specific promises in private and vague demands in public.

Whether the further debates achieve anything is not a concern to the WASPI leadership; it just means more first-class train journeys to London, more appearances on TV, more donations and more champagne.
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Malthusian wrote: »
    WASPI want all women born in the 1950s to receive their State Pension at 60, with missed payments backdated. Their members think they are going to get a £30,000+ cheque in the post from DWP when the government caves in.

All this stuff about notice and transitional arrangements is flim-flam. WASPI's modus operandi from the beginning has been to make specific promises in private and vague demands in public.

Whether the further debates achieve anything is not a concern to the WASPI leadership; it just means more first-class train journeys to London, more appearances on TV, more donations and more champagne.
    I'm sure lots of us can remember the big difference between the wording in the online petition and what was posted on the WASPI website.
    Duplicitous at best.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport