Beware Boilerjuice

Options
I just ordered some oil from Boilerjuice and did not see that there is a new (since September they tell me) 'service charge' of £3. This is clearly a cynical way to allow them to reduce the cost per litre and appear more competitive - I imagine most people look at the cost per litre to compare prices, and the service charge is added like vat to the final price. This a stealth charge and I am posting hear to warn people to check the final bill before paying. I for one will use the Oil Club from now on

Comments

• G_M
    G_M Posts: 51,977 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    They've never been that cheap.

One more reason to to use them.
  • dogshome
    dogshome Posts: 3,877 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    OK to use Boiler Juice just to check roughly what that day's oil prices are, but the way to go is phone 4 or 5 local suppliers for their prices - These will often haggle on the phone to get the order.

September is getting a bit late to order oil for the Winter - The best prices are offered in July when suppliers are keen to get every order they can
  • twiglet98
    twiglet98 Posts: 883 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 26 November 2017 at 10:28PM
    Options
    BoilerJuice is usually my starting point for an online quote, then I usually phone around and almost every supplier can beat their price. I have recently used FuelTool, another comparison site, and was very impressed with their prices, which my favourite supplier was able to match.

ETS I've just seen there's a thread further down the page about FuelTool - I have not ordered from them and probably never will, as my local supplier has always been competitive. I use BJ and this time, FT purely as a guide price.
  • rigzy
    Options
    I think since the governmant banned companies from passing credit / debit card fees to customers, then this is merely a badly disguised charge to cover these fees. You can't NOT pay by credit or debit card unless you save with them monthly. Its dodgy and I would say not legal with that in consideration.
  • smallblueplanet
    Options
    Well, it's clearly stated - the choice is yours. They're still cheaper with a service charge, than other oil suppliers round here, so I use them.
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The coincidence of BJ introducing a 'service charge' just as the government stopped companies charging a fee for credit card use hasn't gone unnoticed.

As others have said, my local suppliers are almost inevitably cheaper.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure