The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Free Personal Plumbing Info.

Plumbing is too expensive. Especially as some of it, but not all, can be done ourselves. So to help out Ian Puddick (media plumber - ie he appears doing plumbing on some radio & TV progs!) has agreed to answer your questions on here for free.

(QUICK NOTE: My throw away line in the tip about plumbers charging a fortune has offended some. So let me say yes there are some rip-off plumbers, but there are of course good guys too. Apologies if i offended the latter!)

Of course there's never something for nothing, so I have agreed to tell you that his website is http://www.leakbusters.net well fair is fair and it lets you know who you're dealing with.

How does it work?

Click reply to ask your question, and then over the next few days, Ian will come along at various times and answer as many as he can.

Please do not get into discussion on this thread (all off topic posts will be deleted) this is simply for asking questions.

What type of questions?

Anything on plumbing, though of course sometimes there will be things only someone qualified should do.

Personally I want to know "how do you find your stopcock?"

The Obligatory Disclaimer

This is a thread for info, questions and general discussion. Before taking any action you should always ensure it is correct for you in your circumstances. Neither MoneySavingExpert.com nor Ian Puddick take any responsibility or are liable for any accidents, problems or damage cause by correctly or incorrectly using the information in this thread.

IMPORTANT UPDATE 18 June 2005

There was such huge demand for this, with so many questions, we've turned the Q&A into a full article

To read the answers go to Plumbing MasterClass: sort your pipes out for free!
Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.
Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.
Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000

Comments

• Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    MSE_Martin wrote:
    Personally I want to know "how do you find your stopcock?"
    Sincere apologies on such a useful thread but... :rotfl:

Hi Ian,

I have 2 extremely noisy toilets when they flush. As my bedroom is right next door to one, I would love to know if there's a way to shut them up!
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • Howells
    Howells Posts: 65 Forumite
    Hi Ian,

Recently, our water from the upstairs bathroom has started to smell and taste stale. Does the cold water tank need cleaning? If so, what with?

The water from the kitchen tap (direct from mains) is fine.

Thanks!
  • heatherw_01
    heatherw_01 Posts: 6,541
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Ambassador
    I am getting a new bathroom suite installed but my current toilet has a pathetic flush. Is there something I should make sure when buying a new suite?

Also, my current bath moves a lot. I would prefer a acrylic bath but do these always move more?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards.
    If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • robnye
    robnye Posts: 5,411
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Fran wrote:
    Sincere apologies on such a useful thread but... :rotfl:

Hi Ian,

I have 2 extremely noisy toilets when they flush. As my bedroom is right next door to one, I would love to know if there's a way to shut them up!

i have the same problem as fran..... :rotfl:

and one of my toilets is incredibly noisy after flushing......
    smile --- it makes people wonder what you are up to.... ;) :cool:
  • Luis
    Luis Posts: 637 Forumite
    Hi Ian.

I am going to resurface my bath rather than replace it, due to budget constraints, but I need to replace the taps on the bath and the sink.

What I would like to know is should I paint the bath then change the taps? Then - how do I change taps, what tools do I need? My House is a 1970's ex council house with copper pipes (if that info helps). I have no plumbing experience. There appears to be some sort of bolt thing directly under each tap - how do I attach new taps?

Hoping you can help,

Luis.
    "It was not my intention to do this in front of you. For that, I'm sorry. But you can take my word for it, your mother had it comin'."

Overlord for the Axis of Evil (part time) :D
  • alanobrien
    alanobrien Posts: 3,308
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Forumite
    Hi Ian,

I am right in the middle of refurbishing my central heating system replacing valves, fitting trv's and re piping etc as some "expert" fitted spacers to all the rads some years ago effectively making them non standard. :confused:

I guess they changed from imperial to metric rads the easy way :doh:

Anyway, no problems at the moment but i just wanted to say cracking picture on the van :rotfl:

For those that have not seen it look under the not to serious section :D
  • gremilex
    gremilex Posts: 65 Forumite
    Hi Ian,
    I am considering installing a replacement shower enclosure, tray and shower in the house.
    1. Where can you get a view of the building regulations for such an installation ?

2. The materials are very expensive in my opinion-how do you get the best price. For good quality branded kit it will approach between 1500 and 2000.

3. Can I have your telephone number in case I get stuck ?

Thanks for this useful thread Martin
  • b.abraham_2
    b.abraham_2 Posts: 12 Forumite
    Hi Ian
    My toilet has recently started to constantly keep taking in water, so it's extremely noisy. It's an old-ish system with a handle and once you've used the loo and try to flush it doesn't really bring in much more water. The amount of water it took in to flush was never brilliant, but it's getting silly and is very irritating. Any ideas ?

thanks
  • Smudge32
    Smudge32 Posts: 373 Forumite
    Hi Ian

The water from my bathroom hot tap has started coming out brown. Blurgh. What is this likely to be?
  • Jay_Cee_Ooh
    Jay_Cee_Ooh Posts: 55 Forumite
    Hi Ian,

I'm about to replace my kitchen and need to run some new pipework to the sink. I've replaced a couple of bathroom suites in the past so I kind of know what to expect. However, previously I've always used push-fit connectors instead of compression / soldering. This time I'm thinking of soldering. Is there one form of connection that you would recommend above another? Is my assumption that soldering is the best (i.e. least likely to leak) correct? I'm going to have to channel out a concrete floor to do this so any tips would be more than greatfully received.

Many thanks to both you and Martin for coming up with this great idea. Looking forward to next week's installment, "How to build an extension"!!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure