Premium bond winning - missed expiry

Hi, I won £50 on the premium bonds in September; the cheque was dated Sep 8th, and on the cheque it said it had to be cashed within 3 months. Unfortunately it slipped my mind and now it's too late. Is there any way to get my money?
poppy10

Comments

• Put your cheque in the bank and see what happens. If it is refused, contact NS&I.

Failing that, stick it on eBay described as "sexy cheque from NS&I".

:)

GG
    There are 10 types of people in this world. Those who understand binary and those that don't.
  • Mikeyorks
    Mikeyorks Posts: 10,369
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    As post #2 - present it to your Bank and see if they accept it. As most cheques have an initial shelf life of 6 months it's likely the cashier won't look too closely.

But if that fails contact NS&I at the address here (in writing and signed - and returning the outdated cheque). There is something on their site about age expired prizes - but can't find it at the moment. But they will replace it with an in-date cheque, without problems (or compensation for their trouble! ;) ). Just as they will give you winnings if you go AWOL for several years because you fail to advise a change of address :-

http://www.nsandi.com/help/reportamissingprize.jsp
    If you want to test the depth of the water .........don't use both feet !
  • derrick
    derrick Posts: 7,420
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    You can REINVEST your winnings automatically therefore never having the problem that you now have, plus in this case the £50. would have been entered for 3 more draws for which you might have won some more. Winnings reinvested do not have to wait for a month prior to inclusion, they are in the next draw.
    Don`t steal - the Government doesn`t like the competition

• thanks
    thanks Posts: 172
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    poppy10 wrote:
    Hi, I won £50 on the premium bonds in September; the cheque was dated Sep 8th, and on the cheque it said it had to be cashed within 3 months. Unfortunately it slipped my mind and now it's too late. Is there any way to get my money?

the same thing happened to me. I phoned NS&I and they asked me to send it back them and issued a new one.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure