PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cook Something Different Challenge

Comments

• Oh gosh LIZLING i cant bear hot and spicy, korma or butter chicken are my limit :rotfl:
    #103 1p Saving Challenge Back to Front 293.94/665.95Currently Reading: Christmas at Cedarwood Lodge - Rebecca Raisin Debt Free thanks to MSE
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Lizling wrote: »

Am I the only one left doing this? It's getting lonely in this thread :(

bad OP here checking in :o

still doing this I'm just a bit bad (OK a lot bad) at reporting back :o

Anyhoo recent challenges have been chilli based due to rather large unexpected crop of the little rascals this year. Last year probably got 4 good usable chillis off the plant, this year a good 30 left after using loads of them throughout the year too :cool:

so chilli recipes are my mission.
    So far I have made some lethal piccalilli which will go down well with my folks, some chilli oil for pressys and general give aways and of course the old favourite chilli con carne now made with my own crop. With 30 left though I am madly flicking through the cook books to find a good use.

Promise to keep a bit more up to date now the cooking season for me is starting again :)
  • Lizling
    Lizling Posts: 882 Forumite
    Nelski wrote: »
    bad OP here checking in :o

still doing this I'm just a bit bad (OK a lot bad) at reporting back :o

Anyhoo recent challenges have been chilli based due to rather large unexpected crop of the little rascals this year.

Welcome back! What kind of chillies are you growing?
    Saving for deposit: Finished! :j
    House buying: Finished!
    Next task: Lots and lots of DIY
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Lizling wrote: »
    Welcome back! What kind of chillies are you growing?

thats a very good question Lizling! One of the plants has thin red chillies on which I think I have identified as cayenne variety and the other plant has the green/red plump chillies like you buy in the supermarkets so not 100% what variety.

Today I have some cooked pork to use up so have been hunting for some jolly sauce to make and have settled on this one which I can use for other stuff too

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/20139/sweet+chilli+sauce

Love sweet chilli so if its tasty it may be a good use for the chilli mountain!
  • Lizling
    Another new dish today: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/iranian-vegetable-stew-with-dried-lime-shop

Disappointing. It's perfectly edible but no wow factor at all. After going out and buying barberries and dried Iranian limes specially, I was hoping for better than that.
  • Lizling wrote: »
    Another new dish today: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/iranian-vegetable-stew-with-dried-lime-shop

Disappointing. It's perfectly edible but no wow factor at all. After going out and buying barberries and dried Iranian limes specially, I was hoping for better than that.

Funny, that happens to me sometimes Lizling.

I find a new recipe, get all excited, buy exotic/rare/expensive ingredients, and the result is just blah!
    Then the next day I cook a simple recipe with few ingredients, not expecting much and the result is amazing!
    No rhyme or reason.

My kids are vegan and due to schedule conflicts come and go and eat at all hours. For this reason I am always on the lookout for new pulse and lentil dishes that can be cooked, stored in the fridge and warmed up with rice, chapattis or couscous etc. I actually visited the Golden Temple, in Punjab, India when I was a teen and ate this dhal. I have tried to find a recipe for it for ages, but since I didn't know the proper name it alluded me, until I stumbled upon this a few days ago http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/amritsari-dal/. Made it tonight. Not perfect but very close to how I remember it. A mild, creamy dhal, especially if you leave out the green chillies as I did.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• Lizling
    Funny, that happens to me sometimes Lizling.

I find a new recipe, get all excited, buy exotic/rare/expensive ingredients, and the result is just blah!
    Then the next day I cook a simple recipe with few ingredients, not expecting much and the result is amazing!
    No rhyme or reason.

I totally agree. You just can't tell until you've made it. I am coming to the conclusion though, that even the best chefs have some dud recipes in newspapers and you're much safer with a recipe from a book. The last one was published in the papers as well as on that website.
    I actually visited the Golden Temple, in Punjab, India when I was a teen and ate this dhal. I have tried to find a recipe for it for ages, but since I didn't know the proper name it alluded me, until I stumbled upon this a few days ago http://www.vegrecipesofindia.com/amritsari-dal/. Made it tonight. Not perfect but very close to how I remember it. A mild, creamy dhal, especially if you leave out the green chillies as I did.

Another one to add to the to cook list! I love a good dal. Dal makhani is one of my favourites and this looks quite similar. Now I've got to decide if I'm going to make saag paneer with chapattis this weekend or the amritsari dal - or both :D

Incidentally, I wish recipes would stop saying just red or green chillies and tell me instead which type should ideally be used. I'll just use finger chillies regardless because that's what I've got, but it'd still be nice to know.
  • I'm not a cake fan although I love to bake but I make an exception for carrot cake. I love it & always have one for my birthday. I love curry too & have been thinking about growing my own herbs recently & as it's the right time of year to plant garlic think I 'll give it a go in the coming days.
    New recipe wise am going to make 'tatter tot casserole' for the first time tomorrow. We saw it on a programme from America that we like to watch so I've had to adapt it but the reviews I've read say it's lovely. Sounds cheap & cheerful & great for kids!
    It's mince beef or turkey seasoned & fried off & layered at the bottom of an oven proof dish. Frozen potato croquettes placed on top of that then a tin of chicken soup & a tin of mushroom soup (haven't decided if I'll use the mushroom as kids don't like mushroom but will judge by eye how much sauce is needed) poured all over with grated cheese on top. Baked in the oven for 30-40 mins.
    Will be back with the reviews from my crowd
  • Tatter Tot Casserole was a hit. Everybody cleared their plates but I either need to make more or add a side dish!
    The best way I can describe it is like a deliciously savory shepherds pie.
    I did add the tin of mushroom soup, it was very much needed & not discovered by the fungi hating mob :D
    It only needed 30mins in the oven & I let it sit for a few mins when it came out to soak up any extra mixture. It's definitely a recipe that lends itself to being played about with.
  • Lizling
    Saag paneer last night, made to a Madhur Jaffrey recipe. It was OK, but had a slightly odd, raw garlicky flavour which is strange because there wasn't much garlic in it and it certainly wasn't raw.

I shouldn't really be counting this as a 'something different' recipe because I have made it before, but this recipe had several differences from previous versions I've tried.

Things I've learnt from this one are:
    Adding water to the chilli and ginger paste before frying it (as this recipe says) makes it not fry right.
    The frying the paneer then sprinkling it with spices part worked well
    I prefer it with a spoonful or 2 of tomato puree, which this recipe doesn't use.
    I'm not convinced garlic belongs in this particular dish
    I still don't rate Madhur Jaffrey and think it's time I gave up on using her recipes.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family