CEDR Result

I couldn't find much information about going down the CEDR route so though I'd post my experience.

I had been going round in circles with easyJet for a year and a half trying to claim for a delayed flight.

I put in a claim with CEDR (all online), I had to enter name, flight details and what the claim was for. I also uploaded images of the boarding card and the email trails of all my contact with easyJet.

3 weeks later I received an email to say that easyJet accepted the claim in full which I accepted and in another 3 weeks the payment hit my bank account.

I received the full amount and did not have to pay for the service but I believe that if you don't have a valid claim you have to pay 15 pounds.

It was really straightforward, I'd highly recommend it if you have a valid claim but have been getting nowhere with the airline (you have to give the airline 8 weeks before you can refer to CEDR.)

easyJet, BA, Thompson and Thomas Cook are the airline currently signed up with CEDR.

Good luck!

Comments

• Gorie
    Gorie Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks for this update - I've not looked extensively in the separate airline threads but there are limited stories about CEDR applications / experiences. Perhaps this thread could be hijacked for that? and we could call it CEDR Creek :p

My experience:

I was on two delayed EasyJet flights in July (entirely separate flights by booking, date and destination) and have today submitted two seperate CEDR applications (one for each flight).

The process is relatively straightforward and you don't pay upfront. It seems the price has increased, if you are unsuccessful, to £25 per claim (rather than the amount in the original post).

My CEDR application:
    Sections:
    1. Enter your details
    2. Enter booking and flight details - you need to know actual time of arrival here (I put my most accurate estimation here as both delays were well in excess of five hours). Of note their website system for entering dates and time takes ages and is of poor design (you'll see...)
    3. Other passengers on your booking who you will claim for (full name as per booking)
    4. What you are claiming for in GBP - As you claim in Euro and I was claiming €250 per person I used XE.com to convert this to GBP (as stated in their guidance notes). I also wrote a brief note in the box stating 'As we were delayed by approximately 6 hours, I am claiming €250 per delayed passenger in my party. The total is €500 for all passengers. Converted to £440 GBP'.
    5. Check the form so far on the summary page.
    6. Upload supporting documents. I included booking confirmation, EU261 claim email copy (saying they had received it) and email correspondence after I appealed the claim upto their final letter. (Of note only one of their final letters referred me to CEDR, the other final letter just said sorry - but it had been more than eight weeks for both complaints so I guess that was OK).
    7. Read T&C, tick a load of boxes and agree to pay £25 if the airline don't have to pay you compensation.

Once submitted you are shown a list of your cases and receive an email.

Another note: I was never given the opportunity to set up a CEDR password on the site so after submission I used my email address from the application process in the forgotten password link (at login page) and reset it that way. Now I can log in.

I hope this helps and will keep people posted about how I get on!
  • Wondered if anyone could help me with a query about CEDR.

Have been informed by another passenger on the same flight as me (and seen the evidence) that after referring to CEDR Thomas Cook were forced to pay out. Therefore I assumed they would have to pay out for us too, having already set the precedent.

Having referred to CEDR myself Thomas Cook are still contesting it. In their response hey have provided examples of 2 cases for the same flight where CEDR have ruled in their favour.

Has anyone ever come across this? I.e. Where CEDR have provided contradictory rulings on the same flight.
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Paulcox741 wrote: »
    Wondered if anyone could help me with a query about CEDR.

Have been informed by another passenger on the same flight as me (and seen the evidence) that after referring to CEDR Thomas Cook were forced to pay out. Therefore I assumed they would have to pay out for us too, having already set the precedent.

Having referred to CEDR myself Thomas Cook are still contesting it. In their response hey have provided examples of 2 cases for the same flight where CEDR have ruled in their favour.

Has anyone ever come across this? I.e. Where CEDR have provided contradictory rulings on the same flight.

Hi,

Yes, I've seen this a few times now.

This seems to be one of CEDR's achilles heals.

Unfortunately each adjudicator seems to come to his/her own decision on each case, no precedent is set or followed, plus there is no appeals process if you believe the decision is wrong.

You may have to wait for the adjudicators decision in your case. If it goes against you, I would then put it in the hands of a NWNF solicitor.

Good luck.
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    What a complete !!!! fest the ADR schemes are.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • TOPSie
    TOPSie Posts: 22 Forumite
    Four of us were on an EasyJet flight from Venice back to the UK - the flight was cancelled.
    We booked separately as two couples. The other couple got compensation after using CEDR.
    I was a bit slower. First I tried going directly to EasyJet - who twice acknowledged my "claim" saying it was being passed to the right department - but I have never received any sort of response - not even a rejection.(now over 6 months since I claimed)
    So I filled in the on-line claim at CEDR. But though the claim is visible on the system the status is still "pending" and it is over a week since the deadline quoted on their system.
    I am now concerned as quoted above that my claim may be rejected even though the other couple got paid out.
    I will update this thread with any news
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    I've not used CEDR but when I had a claim in with AviationADR, they frequently failed to meet their own deadlines. It doesn't mean your claim is rejected.
  • CEDR
    CEDR Posts: 8 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Hi, has your case been moved onto the next step? If not, send me a private message with your case number and I'll look into it.

John
    TOPSie wrote: »
    Four of us were on an EasyJet flight from Venice back to the UK - the flight was cancelled.
    We booked separately as two couples. The other couple got compensation after using CEDR.
    I was a bit slower. First I tried going directly to EasyJet - who twice acknowledged my "claim" saying it was being passed to the right department - but I have never received any sort of response - not even a rejection.(now over 6 months since I claimed)
    So I filled in the on-line claim at CEDR. But though the claim is visible on the system the status is still "pending" and it is over a week since the deadline quoted on their system.
    I am now concerned as quoted above that my claim may be rejected even though the other couple got paid out.
    I will update this thread with any news
  • SonnyH
    SonnyH Posts: 22 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    My experience (for what it is worth) is that the claim I submitted was rejected.

The delay was over ten hours - a wheel needed changing as there was a large piece of metal found in the tyre. The airline claimed exceptional circumstance. I disagreed - it was effectively a flat tyre. Based on rulings by the European Court of Justice I felt I had a strong case, noting that as nothing indicates that the damage to the aircraft wass due to an act external to the normal services of an airline or airport such as "an act ofterrorism or sabotage which would be considered an extraordinary circumstance" (C‐394/14)

CEDR found in the airlines favour, and also implied that it thought a ten hour delay for an EU flight was acceptable. Case closed, unless I want to reopen it though I'm not sure what good that would do.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Sonny -this would seem to be a common occurrance with the ADR process. Apparently slam dunk cases being declined by supposedly legally trained adjudicators.
    The option you now have is to poursue through the courts.
    Either DIY thru small claims or hand over to a NWNF legal firm such as Botts. Alas the latter route will cost you about 30-40% of the claim.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
  • I submitted a claim to CEDR in September and haven't heard anything apart from the initial confirmation e-mail. I then sent them a message through their own site which has also been ignored - don't really know where to go next?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure