Natural Hair Dye for grey hair

Comments

• Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,459
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    lizlizliz wrote: »
    I used coffee to accent the brown, and 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar as I read somewhere it helps the colour and grey go together.

Hope that helps :)

That *is* interesting ... I'm just thinking I need to finally start dyeing my hair (its very, very grey, but I'm getting a new lease of life :D). I read about using coffee grounds as a body scrub recently, and thought at the time, but that would stain the skin, wouldn't it? Excellent idea to use it on hair, I'll have a go and see how it looks.
    donglefan wrote: »
    All permanent colours, including 'organic' contain phenylenediamines which are carcinogens.
    http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/PH/o-phenylenediamine.html

Yep, this kind of thing is why I've never dyed my hair :( I'm going to check out the semi-permanent contents lists on some of the "good" hairdyes.

Thanks all.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • suelees1
    suelees1 Posts: 1,617 Forumite
    edited 19 February 2010 at 7:28PM
    veggieblob wrote: »

when if first clicked it showed quite a few different types but went back to it and only one !! must be prob with the site

ah - sussed it....click on shop (in left hand green panel) click on hair colour under hair care section. Viola !

I need to find something as I've been going to a salon to have organic colour but it costs me a bomb!
    I'll get you, my pretty, and your little dog too!
  • I've been dying my hair medium/dark brown at an Aveda salon for a few years. I would like to have a more natural look (ie see through to the greys) a little. And I would like to be able to do it at home and not spend a fortune. I like the idea of the Daniel Field watercolours, but am not sure how to make the transition...

Any suggestions? Would I start it just on the roots for full coverage at first, and as all the old dye starts to grow out start using a slightly lighter color so the greys look highlighted? I am concerned about getting everything too dark in the meantime...

FYI - I guess my hair is about 30-50% grey at this point...but not sure!

any tips or suggestions...? Thanks
  • Hi All. I am Maria, i am from Spain but now i´m living with my family in London. Most popular natural dye in my country is Naturtint. My mother always use it and she is completely loyal to this brand. It is free from Ammonia, Parabens and Resorcinol and also have organic certified ingredients. That´s because my mother started with it. She is still buying here in London in Holland and Barrett and natural stores.

I guess this is the UK distributor. Nature´s Dream

Regards
  • busiscoming2
    busiscoming2 Posts: 4,459
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Ideas anyone? I have naturally brown hair with gingery bits in it. I have been going grey for a good few years now and have inherited a horrible pattern to the grey: The sides are almost completely grey and the rest has some streaks of grey in it, with a large streak at the front. If my hair was left natural I would probably look like Cruella de Ville or a Badger!!!
    I had been having various shades of brown/copper in my hair, but they always went an orangy shade after a short time, so it has evolved into a sort of 'light blond' with the grey being left natural and 'blending in'.

The last few times I have had the roots done, I have been left with a very itchy scalp for a few days afterwards and despite trying different brands the problem has not gone away.
    Can anyone recommend something that will work to effectively make brown roots blonde?
  • im also interested in a more natural dye but something that lasts!!! i find no matter what brand of permanent hair colour i use within 2 weeks my grey is mostly back again any ideas on something that will last on medium/dark brown hair?
    always send a smile as it costs nothing..

:beer:
  • I've found a really easy way to cover the grey. I use Superdrug's own brand wash-in-wash-out. Don't know what's in it but it's gentler than permanent dyes. It builds up so after a while you don't need it every time. I put in on in the shower, wash the rest of me then rinse. No gloves, no mixing, no fuss.

Had a look in Superdrug but wasnt sure which product you refer to. The only one I could find was Superdrug Sensations for £2.93. Is this it?

Thanks
  • Henna does not kill, it is harmless. A henna product, like any other good stuff, can be made harmful by mixing nasty chemicals like PPD. But henna itself is a harmless colourant, full of healing properties.
  • soba
    soba Posts: 2,166
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I'm currently using a mix of henna/indigo that I bought ages ago from Renaissance Henna and get really good results with it. Only thing is, each time I use it I get a different result - that's fine by me, it's exciting to see what colour I'll be getting!! It's ranged from quite red to dark brown, and I find that the grey hairs turn into golden highlights.

Not really fussed about being grey, if I could be grey and my hair be soft and conditioned that'd be great but as it stands I'd be grey with these corkscrewy hairs sticking out all over the place. Not a look I'm keen on....And with henna my hair's really soft, shiny and conditioned.
  • Many supposedly-natural hair dyes (Naturtint, Herbatint, etc) have PPDs, which you have to read the fine print to find out. This is shocking for women who are trying to conceive or have health risks!

Here's a link to a list of real natural hair dyes, most of which of course are henna based. Oh actually this forum doesnt let me post links as a new user. So, go to squidoo dot com. Then search for the phrase "All-natural hair dyes" which should lead you to a "lens" of that same name.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure