Natural Hair Dye for grey hair

Comments

• I've found a really easy way to cover the grey. I use Superdrug's own brand wash-in-wash-out. Don't know what's in it but it's gentler than permanent dyes. It builds up so after a while you don't need it every time. I put in on in the shower, wash the rest of me then rinse. No gloves, no mixing, no fuss. The grey bits are blonde, the dark bits are still darkish, and I have professional-looking highlights (or is it low lights?) with no hassle. One bottle is about £1.30 I think and lasts for about 6 washes - I have short hair.
  • Has anyone tried the Surya "Red" colour on their hair? It looks nice and bright but not sure how bright it would turn out on darkish brown hair
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Looks nice, quite pinkish-red! Let us know how you get on.
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • It's Naturetint everytime for me. (Am not allowed to post link as I'm a new User but you should be able to find it)

Tried henna etc but took too long. This stuff dyes in the normal time, is Green in all sorts of ways and isn't too messy to use. Great plus is that with short hair you only need to use half (or for meanies like me with really short hair, a third) of the bottle!

It works out about 10 quid (inc p&p which sounds a lot) so may not be the best moneysaving choice for longer hair, but if you can eke it out over several dyes it might be the one for you.

I'm a regular swimmer and as long as I wear a hat, their dyes last about 5-6 weeks and my hairdresser is really impressed at the condition of my hair. Am still experimenting with the colours and not plucked up the courage to mix them yet!
  • Kool_Kool
    Kool_Kool Posts: 388 Forumite
    This thread is marvellous, I'm in my late 30s but already have white, yes white!, patches, and I use Restoria which is for men but who cares, it's one of those creams you put on and it gradually returns hair to their natural colour but it has lead in it and Id rather find something different. The patches are full white and not all take the cream very well so I'm still left with them, will HENNA colour the white patches too?
  • lizlizliz
    lizlizliz Posts: 21 Forumite
    edited 4 February 2010 at 9:44AM
    Just to let you know I tried the henna and it worked well. I won't say 'really well' until it's been a few weeks! I used lush henna and used the brown mixed with the red so I wouldn't have too much of a shock the first time around! I found a really good website called 'lushies' that gave really good tips. I can't post the link on here (something to do with rights). But I recommend it.

I'm interested in Naturetint though! I'd be interested to hear more about it!
    Proud to be dealing with my debts... October '08 - £1840 > July '09 - £0000
    Now to save... or not... September '09 - £1800 > July '10 £0000

Weight Loss target 0/13lbs
  • Kiwisaver_2
    Kiwisaver_2 Posts: 1,169 Forumite
    Thanks Lizliz, I have just been searching around for some Henna and pricing up the cheapest places to get some and came across the Lush website. Lo and behold a further search on here to find if anyone had used or recommends this product and I found your post (spooky).

Just curious how do you use the bar and how much do you use? I've only ever used powder in the past (many years ago).
    Mortgage
    Start January 2017: $268,012
    Latest balance $266,734
    Reduction: $1,278.45
  • I have shoulder length hair and used 2 Brun and 1 Rouge so three! I think it's one for short, two for chin length, 3 for shoulder etc... A lot of people suggest grating it but my grater sheds little bits of metal (metal doesn't go well with henna) so I used a knife and 'grated it' (and my finger :( ).

I used coffee to accent the brown, and 2 tablespoons of cider vinegar as I read somewhere it helps the colour and grey go together.

Hope that helps :)
    Proud to be dealing with my debts... October '08 - £1840 > July '09 - £0000
    Now to save... or not... September '09 - £1800 > July '10 £0000

Weight Loss target 0/13lbs
  • donglefan
    donglefan Posts: 354
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    All permanent colours, including 'organic' contain phenylenediamines which are carcinogens.
    http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/PH/o-phenylenediamine.html
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport