Natural Hair Dye for grey hair

Comments

• dawkins wrote: »
    I've started using Logona's cream hair colours: http://www.logona.co.uk/colourcream.html

I use teak, which covers my grey streaks, but makes them light brown, not their original colour. In my eyes, that looks nicer than the previous blatant grey and wiry streaks, so I'm quite happy with the result.

is this any good for realy dark brown hair tho?:confused:
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • Fire_Fox
    Fire_Fox Posts: 26,026
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    one word of caution with using red henna on grey hair (at least the Lush stuff) it does go very 'sparkly' - ie the end result can be almost a metallic red, because the grey/silver shines through. I think it looks rather nice (did a tuft of my mum's hair once when I was dying mine!), but it can be a head turner - if you mum doesn't fancy that I'd recommend giving it a test first. Often at Lush they will give you half a square or something to test a cm or so of hair on at home, then you can see if you like the effect.

This sounds right up my street! I am presently using Schwartzkopf Live 'Red Passion' which I am sure has zero green credentials. :o
    Declutterbug-in-progress.⭐️⭐️⭐️ ⭐️⭐️
  • *zippy*
    *zippy* Posts: 2,979
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I tried the logona powder and it didn't touch my grey, oline reviews are quite mixed though so it must work for some, but I would say go for the cream as the powder was very messy!
  • *zippy* wrote: »
    I tried the logona powder and it didn't touch my grey, oline reviews are quite mixed though so it must work for some, but I would say go for the cream as the powder was very messy!

logona was the samefor me - didn't touch my grey

best one for me was from topleaf - and no reaction

https://www.topleaf.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2914&osCsid=68981a539cd3ee5491170d78c6beb548
    Time is the best teacher
    Shame it kills all the students
    :p
    *******************************************************************************************
  • Just thought I would pitch in here and say that after reading this thread I tried the Logona cream in teak and really like the results - good conditioning too and no harsh smells. My greys are sort of light brown now. I will certainly use it again - I need the full two hours and I think next time I will keep hot towels and foil to hand to try and intensify the colour. I got lots of free sachets of facial treatments etc. and a discount code for my next order.

Sparkly
  • anguk
    anguk Posts: 3,412 Forumite
    I've got more than 50% grey in dark brown hair and use Surya cream hair dye. It completely covers my grey although it is temporary and washes out over time but I'd have to re-dye regularly anyway even with a permanent dye to touch up the roots.

The Surya powder is 100% natural but it is meant to be pretty messy to use (I haven't tried it myself), the cream isn't 100% natural but it is very gentle and contains no ppds etc.

http://www.ecohamster.co.uk/index.php?cPath=221
    Dum Spiro Spero
  • I'm soo glad I found this thread. I'm in my twenties and spotted my first grey hair in my teens. Ever since then I've been dying my hair at home with L'oreal. The thing is my hair is in such a bad condition now and i'm worried about all the nasty chemicals.

I'm looking for a natural long term solution. I'm considering Lush henna but can I put it on already died hair? As it's a fairly permanent change I may try a natural hair dye first but I think i'm most interested in henna.

My hair (from what I remember) is darkish brown but with a nice 'sprinkling' of grey.

It really does suck! Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,
    Proud to be dealing with my debts... October '08 - £1840 > July '09 - £0000
    Now to save... or not... September '09 - £1800 > July '10 £0000

Weight Loss target 0/13lbs
  • I used to use Body Shop's henna mixes years ago, and yes, it's messy, but it was quiet effective and my hair was well conditioned. Now - I have sliver streaks in my dark brown hair, but who cares? I'm 55 but still feel 30, and I actually like silver - it matches my white gold and silver jewellery:)
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Every month we will give a pack of colour of your choice to the first 50 requests we receive. Please send a small self addressed envelope with a £1 stamp stuck to the envelope to the following address:

Herbatint Free Offer
    Gentle Beauty
    10 Thornsett Road
    London
    SW18 4EN

Remember that if you want to acheive a consistent fashion colour on hair that is more than 20% grey you may have to mix the fashion colour with a "Natural" colour e.g. 7R Copper Blonde with 7N Blonde. So it is probably better to start your affair with Herbatint by choosing one of the N colours.

Make sure you include a note clearly stating WHICH colour you would like to be sent. e.g. I would like to be sent the 7N Blonde.

Please allow up to 28 days for delivery.

This offer is only applicable to residents in the UK.
  • Seakay
    Seakay Posts: 4,265
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    edited 3 February 2010 at 12:05PM
    lizlizliz wrote: »
    I'm soo glad I found this thread. I'm in my twenties and spotted my first grey hair in my teens. Ever since then I've been dying my hair at home with L'oreal. The thing is my hair is in such a bad condition now and i'm worried about all the nasty chemicals.

I'm looking for a natural long term solution. I'm considering Lush henna but can I put it on already died hair? As it's a fairly permanent change I may try a natural hair dye first but I think i'm most interested in henna.

My hair (from what I remember) is darkish brown but with a nice 'sprinkling' of grey.

It really does suck! Any help would be most appreciated!

Thanks,

You can put henna on top of anything, but I would definitely do a test on a bit that's away from normal view first as you can never be entirely sure how the previous dye will affect the colour. Henna usually makes grey quite a sparkly red, bleach can make it go orange

See pics of greying hair before and after henna

http://www.hennaforhair.com/techniques/deb/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family