Natural Hair Dye for grey hair

Comments

• one word of caution with using red henna on grey hair (at least the Lush stuff) it does go very 'sparkly' - ie the end result can be almost a metallic red, because the grey/silver shines through. I think it looks rather nice (did a tuft of my mum's hair once when I was dying mine!), but it can be a head turner - if you mum doesn't fancy that I'd recommend giving it a test first. Often at Lush they will give you half a square or something to test a cm or so of hair on at home, then you can see if you like the effect.
  • Volcano
    Volcano Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Mirry didn't have much luck finding out about the Daniel Field range but I did....

To quote the site:"Although the gentle developing process of Water Colour does not harm the hair, people allergic to phenylenydiamines will still be allergic to Water Colour."

Gosh! calling a hair colour range "water colour" makes it sound all nice, natural and safe doesn't it?

'Phenylenediamines' have had extensive research done on their toxicity: They are known skin irritants, can cause dermatitis, have been shown to damage DNA (so are suspects for causing cancer) and as such there % content is restricted in cosmetics in the UK.

Yes and Herbatint contains it too.

Whilst ammonia in hair dye (wrongly named as it is actually ammonium hydroxide) IS an irritant and is not particularly nice stuff, there are no doubts over its carcinogenicity, i.e. it WON'T cause cancer.

The critical thing is not just what your cosmetic product contains, but how much of it there is. It seems most manufacturers begrudgingly admit what is in their dye, getting them to tell us how much is in them is a different thing altogether.
  • :heart: Mummy to Charlie & 2 beautiful twins due on Valentine's Day :heart:
  • And luch are not natural
  • kitekat
    kitekat Posts: 1,283
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    There must be a better way sells natural hair dye,dont know how to do a link
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    I used to use Henna a few years ago but although i got brilliant results i found it very messy and hard work but i bought it from here and the results were always good. I prefered Lush's henna blocks as they were more moisturising and made my hair softer. Dont forget, although they fade you will tend to have an amount of of regrowth because if your hair is porous, you may run the risk of the hair absorbing the colour and it may not wash out. My hair is dark brown and i used the red henna blocks which made my grey hair glint with gorgeous red streaks.

I heard about these hair colours too, but never used them myself but again, i imagine you will need to keep on top of the regrowth.

edited to say that this is the Daniel Field Watercolour range
  • Came across this... no idea if it works, but it's worth a go.

Covering grey hair naturally

Just found the site - looks like they have some good recipes for homemade shampoo as well.

:A

EDIT: Also found some natural hair dyes here which don't appear to have any nasties. See also their article on covering grey.
    I want to move to theory. Everything works in theory.
  • Wow this would be cool if it worked! Does anyone know?
    I am interested in this thread for my mother who upon reaching the menopause started to lose the hair on top of her head. She is also going grey and although is treating the hairloss with the KGF stuff from Skinactives is worried about the grey. Her normal dye makes her scalp sore so when I sore this thread I was interested in finding something that was effective but very gentle too.
    I wonder if this Sage and Rosemary thing works! And how it would bring the colour back!
    xx
  • JoeyEmma
    JoeyEmma Posts: 913
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Lush dyes are a mixture of henna and indigo in varying proportions, depending on the shade you choose. Its quite gritty and because of the cocoa butter in it, doesn't dye as well.

I have recently got into henna, but use body art quality, which is very fine and totally pure, unlike some of the tainted stuff you can buy in the shops, which can have metallic taints to it. I have brown hair, with the very odd grey hair (about 20 in total!). I wanted to cover the odd grey and to add some depth and shine to my hair but avoid a major red colour. I used a mix of henna and indigo together. My hair is a glossy brown with red tones in very bright light (more of a chestnut colour). Henna doesn't lighten your hair at all..

It is a bit of a mess to use but I am glad I have done it as the strength, shine and colour are amazing, and I know its not from harmful dyes or loads of silicones.

Have a look on hennaforhair.com. The lady that runs it has an amazing PDF book to download that explains all about henna, indigo etc.
  • Renaissance Henna (https://www.renaissancehenna.co.uk - sorry don't know how to do links!) have lots of information about henna/indigo and how to dye hair without using nasties, as well as lots of info about the chemicals in hair dyes. They do mail order pure and natural henna, which I have just ordered and received, but haven't tried yet.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure