Heron Foods/Farmfoods Freezer Shops -spot any good buys?

Comments

• mcculloch29
    mcculloch29 Posts: 4,972 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Kerrygold spreadable lighter butter at my Heron, 500g for £1.29
    Lovely Oykos Whip N Mix whipped mousse yogurts with blueberry compote, 4 for 75p
    Muller Puds Choc and Orange 85g 4 for 69p
    The XSell battered whitefish fillets were back - 500g for £1.50
    'Cooking' bacon was 2 900g packs for £1.49.
    Lots of the Christmas desserts reduced, didn't investigate too closely.. Think perhaps those formerly £1.99 each were now 2 for £2.99

The only recent disappointment at Heron has been the Duerrs luxury Cranberry and Port mincemeat. Utterly vile, a strange perfumed taste. Explains why a jar was only 69p, though.
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Tubs of Cathedral City spreadable cheese in Mature and Garlic n Herb - 69p
    Large Yorkshire puddings - 29p
    2 x 3 pack pistachio Magnums (normal size) £1.50.

Very tempted with the latter
  • Seen today in our local Heron.

59p each or 2 for £1. 400ml can. BBE April 2017.

Seems really thick, as the milk doesn't move inside when you shake it. Saves me 19p per can on the one I usually get from 'ome bargins - which doesn't move inside when you shake the can either :D

018_zps4xhhlnum.jpg

Greying X
    Pounds for Panes £2,590/£10,000 - start date Dec 2023

Coins for Camping (April) -  £2/£15  (Camping TTD - £60/90)

Grocery spend April £120.73/215
    Non-food household spend April £25.94/25
    Bulk Fund April 0/£10

Charity Blankets completed 1/24
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    As always with Heron, what your store has may be somewhat different to what my store (in SW Co. Durham) had. Some of these quantities / prices are from memory as I noted the item but didn't buy.

Dry goods:
    12 x 4 pack Belvita Breakfast biscuits £1.49 6 pack of biscuits £1
    Thorntons Special Toffee 2 bags for £1
    Mini bags Thorntons Fruit chocolates 2 for £1
    Lucozade Energy Berry 250 ml can 5 for £1
    Star Wars cup-cake kit 59p
    Roses Lemon and Lime Marmalade (454g?) 89p
    Maggi Stock Pots 1 pack of 6 pots for £1
    Coconut milk as previously posted 2 tins for £1

Chilled
    Misshapes Bacon 907 g 2 for £1.49. This freezes well.
    Weetabix On The Go Strawberry Breakfast Drink 4 for £1 (Like these!)
    Muller Corner Spiced Pumpkin Latte 4 for £1
    Philadelphia Whipped with Olives 140g 39p
    Anchor Light Butter Spreadable 500g £1.49
    Flora Pro Activ Light 350g 89p
    Innocent Coconut Water 500ml 39p
    Various tubs of Seriously Strong cheese spread 125g £1
    36 month vintage cheddar 250g £1.49

Freezer
    Maxibon ice creams (choc ice with soft biscuit wafer) 2x3, 6 for £1
    20 Birds Eye Fish Fingers £1.29?
    Birds Eye tagliatelle with porcini mushrooms 99p
    Xsell Luxury Fish Cakes Salmon & Prawn 600g £1.25
    Aviko Sweet Potato Fries 450g £1.75
    Xsell whitefish fillets seeded / beer batter 500g £1.50
    Bisto Ready Meals for 1 375g £1
    Erma Bombeck, American writer: "If I had my life to live over again... I would have burned the pink candle, sculptured like a rose, that melted in storage." Don't keep things 'for best' - that day never comes. Use them and enjoy them now.
  • Ken68
    Ken68 Posts: 6,825 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Energy Saving Champion Home Insurance Hacker!
    Thanks McCulloch..bought two packets of the bacon, brilliant price 2x907g for £1.49. Lean as you could get and full slices. Now working how to freeze.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    Ken68 wrote: »
    Thanks McCulloch..bought two packets of the bacon, brilliant price 2x907g for £1.49. Lean as you could get and full slices. Now working how to freeze.

I'd open the pack and see what you have Ken, if there are any rashers then put them aside for standard rasher use.
    Chunky bits are great for casseroles and soups. My two were virtually pure gammon, I'm going to have some very tasty home made faggots and liver and bacon casseroles.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The Heron Foods in Leicester where I was earlier today was closed for a refurb. I think, it may have incorporated the small unit behind it which has been empty for a fair while. Guessing it will make the shop about 50% and hopefully sort out the tight aisles
  • luvchocolate
    luvchocolate Posts: 3,252 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Home Insurance Hacker!
    I have moved from East Yorkshire to West Yorkshire and I really miss Heron!!!
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    I have moved from East Yorkshire to West Yorkshire and I really miss Heron!!!

I can imagine... I just searched West Yorks as I know I've seen a Heron in Leeds. They are in and around Leeds, (5 stores) one in Dewsbury, one in Ravensthorpe and one in Halifax.
  • mcculloch29
    Rampant Recycler
    The Heron Foods in Leicester where I was earlier today was closed for a refurb. I think, it may have incorporated the small unit behind it which has been empty for a fair while. Guessing it will make the shop about 50% and hopefully sort out the tight aisles

Ours moved premises to a larger shop a couple of years ago and the aisles are marginally wider. The problem is the large number of dump bins in each store. I have no option but to use a trolley and try to shop at quiet times - but the snag is the bargains have often gone by then!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure