No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries October 2014

Options

Comments

• rogueylawyer
    Options
    One more UU today:

L'Occitane divine cream 1ml - this was the last of the samples I had put in to one pot. Lasted me ages. According to my spreadsheet I have another two sachets knocking around somewhere but haven't seen them, I also have a small pot of the precious cream to try. Really love the divine cream, it last so long that once everything else is used up, I may justify buying it.

Also had on TA: Yves Rocher Lavender body mist 250ml. This has been knocking around for probably 10 years now. I have barely ever used it, originally used it as a pillow mist but OH is asthmatic and was set off by it so it's sat in the stash ever since. I don't wear lavender as a perfume and it's losing the smell so life is too short and TA.

Had a NPI today. Was in TK Maxx and they had Neom body products. Next on my purchase list is a Neom bath oil! They had hand wash, body lotion and body wash all 50-75% off. The thing that really caught me was the lemon and basil body wash. I had wanted to buy the body oil in that fragrance and they discontinued it before I did (ultimate PRC, the item you want to buy but don't and it goes out of stock).

I was walking round with it in my hand for a good 10 minutes when my OH piped up with 'what's the point? If your love it you'll never be able to buy it again so why start now?' He was right and it went back on the shelf.
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Hello again ladies!

I have 3 INs!

Rimmell Urban Green eyeshadow
    Sally Hensen Sea Through nail varnish (more a top coat, I think)
    OPI ShatterProof dark green varnish

They were all bought in PoundWorld for a whole pound each (thanks to the :MSE: newsletter). The OPI nail varnish is supposed to be one of those ones you put over your colour and it gives that 'crackling' effect. I tried it over a nail varnish I own, but it went on very streaky. I'm going to wear it as a nail varnish on its own with the Sally Hensen on top as a top coat as the colours work well together.

I have wondered how Poundland can sell branded products so cheaply and I have come to the conclusion that they must be discontinued/end-of-line and near the end of their shelf life. There were a few other nail varnishes that looked a bit seperated and that I tried to shake, but that didn't go back together all that well even after a vigorous shake, and the streakiness of this OPI varnish feels as though it backs up my theory. I guess it's OK to get a few wears out of it for £1, but I would be cross if I had paid any more for it.

I have yet to try the eyeshadow, although I have spread a little on the back of my hand and it seems fine. Nice shade...I'll be disappointed if that doesn't go on well.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• FizzWhizz
    FizzWhizz Posts: 939 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    I've admitted defeat and chucked the Tigi Curls Rock Shampoo and Self Absorbed Conditioner back into the cupboard. I have been using these exclusively for 2 months and I honestly don't think I've had more than two good hair days in that time :( The shampoo seems to simultaneously strip my hair until it's bone dry and frizzy, while coating it with a siliconey residue which honestly left it feeling like plastic. The condish is ok, I might try using it as a leave-in after washing or to refresh, but considering it's meant to be for uber-dry hair, it's nowhere near moisturising enough.

I paid £6 each for these from the Regis sale and I STILL feel cheated. Maybe I should be counting my blessings that I didn't fork out the £18+ RRP each :eek:

Today I have washed and conditioned with Tresemme Platinum Strength duo and used Tresemme naturals as a leave in. My hair already feels and looks better.

Not every bargain is a good buy! Lesson learned (I hope)
  • aintshesweet
    Options
    UU: Garnier Fructis conditioner. WNBA because I'm slowly moving across to sulphate / paraben / cone free hair care.
    IN: L'oreal voluminous mascara - I miss this and my other two are drying up
  • Sundaysgirl
    Sundaysgirl Posts: 1,096 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Morning!

UU:

9/249. Aveeno Moistursing Cream 15ml - freebie and probably WNB, didn't wow me.

10/250. Elemis Revitalise Me Shower Gel 50ml - GWP and WNB, nice enough but too pricey for what it is.

11/251. TBS Rainforest Volume Shampoo 60ml - probably WNBA, others I prefer and this had a tendency to dry my hair out. No minis left, only my Regis stash remains!

All from my PP list!
    MFW 2017 #123 2018: £1,852.64/£39,200 (4.7%)
  • mrs-moneypenny
    Options
    morning all

a weekend UU here - nivea deodorant. ok did the job have plenty more in the stash from when they were on offer

need to add some INs to my bubblebath stash avon had a special offer on and it was too good to miss so spent £12 on it. will fess up later once ive checked what i got.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • hieveryone
    hieveryone Posts: 3,845 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    UU -

Elemis Pro Collagen Illuminating Flash Balm - WMBA, like the smell and works well asa primer.

Imperial Leather Shower Gel - WMBA if on offer, was nice enough except the lid leaked.

Bought is to buy. Brought is to bring.
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

Had a NPI today. Was in TK Maxx and they had Neom body products. Next on my purchase list is a Neom bath oil! They had hand wash, body lotion and body wash all 50-75% off. The thing that really caught me was the lemon and basil body wash. I had wanted to buy the body oil in that fragrance and they discontinued it before I did (ultimate PRC, the item you want to buy but don't and it goes out of stock).

I was walking round with it in my hand for a good 10 minutes when my OH piped up with 'what's the point? If your love it you'll never be able to buy it again so why start now?' He was right and it went back on the shelf.

I had a similar experience with MrM in TK Maxx yesterday but I decided to disregard him and buy what I wanted anyway. :rotfl:

Just before we went in I said to him I wanted to have a look and see if there were any OPI or Philosophy products as everyone else seemed to find them and not me. Got a little giddy when I found a set of 10 mini OPI colours - the Coca Cola collection (among other sets and single bottles too) for £16.95 and a full size bottle of Pumpkin Pie Shower Gel (you all know this is my favourite) for £7.99. Also found a bottle of Seche Vite fast drying top coat for £9.99. When I picked up the OPI I said to MrM "should I treat myself" and he said sarcastically "Well, why not, it's not as if you don't have enough nail polish!" Had he not been sarcastic I would probably have put them back!
    FizzWhizz wrote: »
    I am loving my Beauty Blender! I'm getting better coverage with less product compared to my RT blending brush and it seems to have better staying power too.

I spotted Emma using her RT version of this the other day and mentioned your post about the trial of this one and the Beauty Blender and she admitted that she really likes the RT one though it's difficult to clean.
    InaPickle wrote: »
    Hello again ladies!

I have 3 INs!

Rimmell Urban Green eyeshadow
    Sally Hensen Sea Through nail varnish (more a top coat, I think)
    OPI ShatterProof dark green varnish

See above re: OPI currently at TK Maxx. I was really impressed by their stock yesterday. They also had loads of Ciate, Essie and Leighton Denny too.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
  • kadison
    kadison Posts: 3,662 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Xmas Saver!
    edited 13 October 2014 at 4:33PM
    Options
    Hello all!

I'm just back from a week in Weymouth, 6.5 days of it with the boyfriend and we didn't kill each other! :T

We were also chatting one day about why was the dove the bird of love and not something else and he uttered the phrase "...when we get married..."!!! My reaction was :eek: :j :D in that order :D:D:D

I'm not really too bothered about the having kids thing (we're both 'probably not but it's not completely out of the question') but I REALLY want to get married so I was chuffed to bits! I've known since early on that he wanted to get married in a general sense but now I think he's thinking of marrying me at some point which is just brill :beer:

Sorry, I'll stop gushing! Unfortunately we're now back in our seperate houses and I'm missing him like mad but keeping busy to keep my mind off it! First task was a toiletries inventory!
    FizzWhizz wrote: »
    I've admitted defeat and chucked the Tigi Curls Rock Shampoo and Self Absorbed Conditioner back into the cupboard. I have been using these exclusively for 2 months and I honestly don't think I've had more than two good hair days in that time :( The shampoo seems to simultaneously strip my hair until it's bone dry and frizzy, while coating it with a siliconey residue which honestly left it feeling like plastic. The condish is ok, I might try using it as a leave-in after washing or to refresh, but considering it's meant to be for uber-dry hair, it's nowhere near moisturising enough.

I paid £6 each for these from the Regis sale and I STILL feel cheated. Maybe I should be counting my blessings that I didn't fork out the £18+ RRP each :eek:

Today I have washed and conditioned with Tresemme Platinum Strength duo and used Tresemme naturals as a leave in. My hair already feels and looks better.

Not every bargain is a good buy! Lesson learned (I hope)

I got the Tigi Moisure Maniac and loved that one, I have a Self Absorbed huge bottle so I'm hoping my conclusion on that is better than yours. I personally don't get on with the L'Occitane conditioners, shame since I have so much in the stash, but perhaps some are richer, the repairing one certainly isn't much use, I have to use such a lot to get any real conditioning treatment!
    No Buying Unnecessary Toiletries 2023
    Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend
    Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx
  • VALM
    VALM Posts: 5,833 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    OK then ladies. I have two UUs and some INs to report. Here goes:-

UUs:-

Small tube of Clinique facial liquid soap. WNBA. This came in a GWP kit. Was too drying on my face so used as a shower gel which is a bit of a waste but better than TA I suppose.

L'occitane Cherry Blossom hand and body wash. In fairness I finished this by using it in two baths over the weekend.

TA: Big bottle of Dove body lotion. Tried so hard to get on with this but it made me feel sticky.

So INs - come on you all knew this was coming given the mood I was in the other day:-

Went to Trafford Centre yesterday to buy new bedding for our bed.

Called into Lush armed with a list that Emma had given me and MrM very sweetly bought the items for her. I also popped a bar of Porridge soap (in fairness I am out of body scrub at the mo) and a Melting Snowman (only bath bomb from Lush that I like) into the basket for myself. For Emma we got Northern Lights, Dashing Santa, Christmas Hedgehog, Luxury Lush Pud. I think we also got a So White bath bomb too.

Then went into L'occitane. Had discovered prior to this that I have a bottle of Sanctuary handwash in my stash which I'd bought to bring into work but then decided against it as the Dove handwash at work is not aggravating my skin. However I had a voucher for a free gift from the Marie Claire mag (handcream and lip balm set worth £16.00). So went into L'Occitane and bought an eco pouch of liquid soap for the bathroom and got the free gift. Very impressed as the free gift was worth more than I spent.

Called into Boots for the gift catalogue and tried to pick up the Lady Million gift set for Emma for Christmas. They were sold out though.

We then went to the Leisure Park next door and there we visited TK Maxx (see purchases above) and Boots again where I managed to get the Lady Million gift set.

Did get some bedding too from Dunhelm Mill but MrM doesn't like it as it's "scratchy" so will have to go back next weekend!

I noticed there are no Gok Wan sets in the Boots catalogue so not sure if Boots have discontinued the range.

Want to repaint my nails tonight and play with my new colours but I only painted my nails on Saturday and they're still looking good. Wearing OPI French Quarter for your Thoughts which I have always felt a bit ho hum about but actually like it a lot now.
    Back for the No Buying Toiletries challenge. I pledge to only buy when I run out of a product that is not already in my stash no matter what wonderful emails land in in my Inbox or threads I read on MSE re: glitches!

SPC Member 046
    £2. Challenge member 55
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family